Forums > General Industry > Does 'friend' mean anything?

Photographer

semyon

PISCATAWAY, New Jersey, US

When you add somebody of matching occupation (e.g. for photog - model and for a model - photog) as a friend, does it imply you'd like to work with them, liked their portfolio or you just beefing up your friend collection?

Normally when I add model as a friend I would either like to work with her -- if she's local, or to follow her progress -- if she's not. But I always either leave a tag, comment or send a mail together with the friend request. That's why I'm curious if there's  anything to the out-of-nowhere friends -- they sure nice, but does it make sense to follow-up or just sit and enjoy the lovin'?

May 15 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

That's a good question.  Like you, to me it means I'd like to work with them or like their port and am following there progress and want others to check them out.  The "stealth friend request" amazes me if you haven't left a comment, tag or sent an email.  Some sort of communication would be nice.  I always leave a comment or tag before a friend request.  But hey that's just my 2 cents.

May 15 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

FWIW - I usually only "friend" people that I've communicated with and/or those I've worked with. That's just me.

With photogs, I've only added those I know in person (I think all of them are local to me).

-steve

May 16 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

My friends are those whom I am interested in or are interested in me.  Communication has to come first either with a tag or a picture comment.  Some are models I have or would like to work with, photographers who have a style I like, or photographers who like my style.

May 16 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

I add people based on whether or not i think viewing their current and future work would be beneficial to me whether for artistic appreciation or to incorporate ideas. that's reason 1. reason 2 is if it is someone i have worked with before or have an interest in working with in the future. either way i am always looking to the future to see what they shoot next.

May 16 06 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I only send friend requests to people I like.  But I'm pretty "slutty" about accepting friend requests from others.  I'll be anybody's MM "friend," with a few exceptions.

May 16 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Only that the person wished to receive an acknowledgement they visited the page.

The 'friends' that acquire value are those who leave tags or send a message. They may be saved as favorites. When I look for a reminder of who made me stutter, for a model, my favorites list is the place to be.

bt

May 16 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Me ..... I like that old Jody Watley song ....

"....Friends wont be around , Friends will let you down ......."

Just kidding ..I am new to MM and and trying to figure out this friend thing too

May 16 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

well, other than adding s.o. to our "Favorites", the only other choice is "Friend"; can't set up a "Top 8" (à la MySpace) or designate "Acquaintances" and "Colleagues" ...

don't know otherwise if i attach any particular meaning to the terminology here set by MM; just one of the given parameters ...

FML

May 16 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Most of my friends are local models and photographers that I've worked with or whose work I like. I will usually initiate a friend request if I like their attitude in the forums or if it looks like we have a chance of working together.

I have had a couple "drive-by" friend requests...models who are looking for a lot of friends and you never hear from them again. I have declined a couple of these when their profile had nothing to offer. However, if a port is interesting, I will accept.

I've had friend requests from others when I have offered help in the forums or asked about a technique they did.

May 16 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Mostof mine are somewhat local (midwest) models that I have or would like to work with eventually, or have conversed with.  Some are photographers that I really like their portfolio, or have worked with as wellm some are models that I really like their portfolio.  For the most part though if I like some specific picture or portfolio, I simply click to add it to my favorites. smile

May 16 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Does not mean a thing.  Why they have it who the hells knows.  But its there so there you are.  bs

May 16 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

May 16 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

bd miller

Just like with real "friends", in real time, in the real world, the "friend" here means different things to different people. There are friends that you'll invite to an opening. Then there are friends you'll invite to dinner. Then there are friends that you'll pick up at the airport or help move.

Somewhere in there, perhaps in that first group., are the people we know over the net.

I'm here for networking more than to make new friends... to become aware of other peoples work and hopefully make others aware of my work. With in that friendly relationships may happen naturally.

Here anyone that shows interest in my work is a "friend".

May 16 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

bd miller

Wanna be my friend? No commitment necessary...

May 16 06 01:42 pm Link

Model

ANTyson

Orlando, Florida, US

I see MM as more of a networking opportunity than MySpace. Since everyone in MM is either working in the same industry or looking to get into it, you have to consider that everyone here might benefit you in some way or another in the future. Just because they're work isn't top notch, doesn't mean they won't surprise you with something amazing in a couple months.

It doesn't mean you should lower your standards and work with someone whose style isn't on par with yours.

It also doesn't mean you're trying to beef up your friend collection. I don't see it as a popularity contest. But as they say, it sometimes isn't what you know, but who you know.

And I've requested a couple people without sending a comment. I'm new to the site and didn't realize you could comment on people's work without being their friend. So you may want to keep that in mind when you get those "stealth" requests.

May 16 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

Jenia

Washington, Arkansas, US

My "friend' group is people a)I've worked with b)I'm going to work with c)I like and wish I were good enough to work with haha.. I think I judge the members both by their portfolios and by their friend collections, so it's pretty important.

May 16 06 02:21 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

I think as far as photographers and stylists go, I try to friend people whose work I like, and whom I'd possibly like to shoot with sometime.

I'm a bit more loose with friending models, though, and will sometimes pick out those whom I think seem cool as people, and/or who have good ports.

May 16 06 07:42 pm Link