Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is this right? Am I off base here?

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

I was at my hairdresser when I mentioned to another stylist if they do makeup.  He happened to not only "do" makeup but had quite a port.  The other stylists were totally taken back that he even did this type of work...  I , in turn asked him if he wanted to do some makeup for a photoshoot.  We negotiated, we set a date, and now I get a call yesterday.  The owner of the salon says she is entitled to 50% of his revenues that he makes outside of the shop....
The salon owner didnt even LOOK at his MUA port before hiring him only his stylist book...so now the guy cancelled saying it wasnt worth his time since he had to give up half of his revenue to his salon owner....

I dont know "proper" ettiquette for scheduling a MUA I guess....

Your thoughts please?

May 15 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

People 1st Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

Tell the owner to go F*&^# herself. She is not entitled to any comp from work done outside of the business.

May 15 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

john knight

Farmington, New Mexico, US

that doesn't seem right......my sis is a hairdresser and what she does outside of the workplace is hers.......sounds like the salon owner is trying to muscle you.

May 15 06 07:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Brooke

Chicago, Illinois, US

I work at a salon and do freelance.  What I do outside the salon is my personal business.  As long as it doesn't interfere with my salon work, they don't care.  Actually they support my separate career fully.  That's pretty shady for the owner to want a cut.

May 15 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

We actually agree with all of the above.  The salon owner's rationale was " you met him thru my salon, so therefore I get a cut". 

I now plan to get my hair done elsewhere ....my attitude is she is willing to screw her employees, think what she is doing to her  customers!!   

What is worse, we are still out a MUA... (see casting call)

May 15 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

B Charles Johnson

New York, New York, US

yea the deff is bullshit, that money would be all his not hers

May 15 06 08:11 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

The ONLY way the salon owner could do such a thing is if when he/she hired the Hairstylist they signed a contract who speaks about Moonlighting ( in many years and many salons only saw it once ). AND to top it all off the owner would  have no right over it anyway because he/she has been hired as a hairstylist and not a make up artist. So pretty much it comes down to this stylist not wanting to comfront the owner but i would had not problem to tell the owner that what i do outside of work has nothing to do with them even if that means i am making $$$ from it .
Good luck with this !

May 15 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Unless the stylist has to request off from work to make the booking, how will the salon owner know what you or him do outside of work? I could see sliding her a cut if business took place on the premises but if it were off the property and afterhours or on his day off, that's ludicrous.

By her logic, she owes you a cut from any clients you refer to her which I doubt you'll be recommending or she's willing to give up money.

May 15 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

I think it's only fair.  When my boss found out that I occassionally sell things on ebay, sell plasma, take cans in for recycling, etc., he demanded a cut as well (though only 25%).  But I don't think I could afford to continue if he wanted as much as 50%.

May 15 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

EdwinR Photography wrote:
I now plan to get my hair done elsewhere ....my attitude is she is willing to screw her employees, think what she is doing to her  customers!!

I hope you will make this VERY clear to the owner as well.

Dissatisfied customers tell more people than satisfied ones.  Hopefully she is aware of that as well.

May 15 06 09:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

Well, he booked that job on salon time.  The only reason he met you was through his salon so really she is entitled to something.  Now 50% is ridiculous.  He should negotiate with her so that in the future, they both benefit.

May 16 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

I guess slavery is still alive in the MUA world... ;o)

Unless there was some agreement with the shop owner to be his agent or something similar I see no LEGAL way for the owner to demand a percentage. Of course he can always screw him over if he wants now that he knows.

I think Tyler should start to charge a % of every paying shoot arranged via this site... same twisted logic.

May 16 06 08:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

Hang on, does this salon offer makeup also?  I think I may have mis read....

May 16 06 08:20 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

This makes no sense whatsoever. I say do the shoot anyway. How will the salon owner know?

May 16 06 09:18 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Is this the salon owner/boss or the pimp? Tell her to take a hike lol.

May 16 06 09:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Belinda Muir

London, England, United Kingdom

This seems to be more a matter of integrity.  It's what most companies would call a "conflict of interest" to be using the salon's customers to get extra/other work, no matter what the business.  It would be like somebody using their office computer to maintain their own business on line or make money on ebay etc etc... people get sacked for this every day.

On the other hand, assistants in makeup stores are allowed time off to do weddings or other work as long as the store gets the credit, so it isn't a conflict of interest, it's helping the business concerned.

Perhaps the salon owner thought you would also be getting the hair styling done for free too? With the artist using salon owned products or equipment? 

It all comes down to company loyalty doesn't it?  Whether you have a contract that states these things in the small print or not (in an office based environment it always is under 'misuse of company property' and 'conflicts of interest') it's kind of crap to use the business who pays your wages and their premises to promote another business.

B x

May 16 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Narhan wrote:
I think it's only fair.  When my boss found out that I occassionally sell things on ebay, sell plasma, take cans in for recycling, etc., he demanded a cut as well (though only 25%).  But I don't think I could afford to continue if he wanted as much as 50%.

If you sold it using the boss's resources (e.g. using his computer, Internet connection, or office for storage/services) that would be warranted. But not if you were using none of his resources and doing it out of your own home.

May 16 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

My responce to the salon owner is that is a matter for her to discuss with her employee.

May 16 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

KT Imaging

New York, New York, US

If the hairdressor is talented, I'm sure he could find another salon with a less greedy owner.

May 16 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

MAKE A DEAL.  Go to him on the side and make a deal.  Make sure nobody knows about it then you are set to go.  bs

May 16 06 10:28 am Link

Hair Stylist

Lookgood64

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

Basically, the only way the salon owner would be entitled to any revenue from the shoot outside the salon is if the stylist signed a contract at the time of being hired by the salon owner.  She is probably using it as if the stylist would be removing revenue from the salon.  If the salon does not even offer make-up then the owner is just trying to play hardball with the stylist.  Doesn't sound like someone I would want to have a business or even a personal relationship with!!

Lori

May 16 06 10:56 am Link

Hair Stylist

Lookgood64

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

May 16 06 10:56 am Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

I think if he was doing hair , I as the owner , would ask if it said Jane Doe for Blah salon on credits maybe. But a profit? Cmon. If you made friends with the stylist, would he be entitled for a dinner you may buy him/her?

May 16 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

The salon is not entitled to a cut of the job since the salon does not offer location services.

The stylist in question has learned a valuable lesson-- outside life is no business of the salon's.  It's usually best to keep it that way.

No professional Stylist would have cancelled the job after already booking it.  That stylist may have a decent portfolio, but is still lacking in professional etiquette & experience.

The fact that your make-up artist cancelled is not the responsibility of the salon's but that of the make-up artist.  The salon owned may entertain any fantasy that he wishes, but ultimately it was the stylist's unwise decisions that led you to be without make-up on your shoot.

May 16 06 11:21 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

May 16 06 11:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

May 16 06 11:23 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

I don't think it's right for the owner of the salon to take 50% off of work done outside of hair... outside of the salon... depends on if he has a contract with her and what it says and she must cover travel expenses too then. I can understand 20%, because you networked in her salon and you should owe her pictures too. She's seeing it as you arranged a service through her salon, because you allowed it to appear that way. It's not about if the salon offers makeup services or not, it's her employee and you arranged service in the place of business. Don't do that ever again, meet with the stylist on their own time... not the salon's time. And not look at the work in the salon and meet that person outside of the salon.

You should never... ever... talk more than you should in front of other people. You are talking about photoshoots, I'm sure the whole room has dreamt of working on photoshoots and on models. That's like being in a room of bratty teenagers who all think they are the best, you are bound to crush some egos... if not the owners too. The owner can not allow this guy to go and do this without giving a cut of the earnings, because if he/she did... the rest of the salon would start doing it. This guy bringing out his portfolio was ridiculous. My a$$ would be fired if I was on company time and decided to sell myself on my own too. Sometimes you need to be professionally responsible for other people too, you should not have made a scene or allowed one... give him a business card, say "I'd love to see your book some time" and leave it at that. Then after you've met the guy on his own time outside of the salon, the guy can go back and say (without megaphone and privately) "Hey! I just met that photographer, do you want some prints of the work that you can have in the salon?" I'll bet the owner would be more flexible, since there isn't a scene made now in front of other stylists and was arranged outside the salon.

Sorry, I'm grumpy. Had a tough night. sad

But I hope that makes sense.

May 16 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

james mckinnis

San Antonio, Texas, US

Although the salon owner's rationale is that you discussed the assignment on premisis and therefore company time=employer's share, I suggest that only if the owner in some way ACTIVELY contributed to the transaction, e.g., actively provided intro, said since you're looking for a stylist, here's so-and-so, would that owner be legitimately entitled to a share--otherwise it's a con...

May 16 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Robert Sanders

Narhan wrote:
When my boss found out that I occassionally sell things on ebay, sell plasma, take cans in for recycling, etc., he demanded a cut .

You must be a vampire? You can sell plasma on eBay?

I am confused. If you are doing the selling on your boss's time... yes. If you are doing the selling on your boss's computers... yes. But just giving your boss a cut because he's your boss?

-------------------------------------

This whole thread is strange. Why would the salon owner know? Don't tell. Simple as that, end of story. Better still, if the salon owner has to know... the guy is doing the work for TRADE. FREE. And then pay him later, around midnight, in a back alley on the other side of town. 50% of nothing is NOTHING!

::r::

May 16 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Scott W Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

dp

May 16 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Scott W Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

That's between the stylist and the salon owner.  While it depends on the stylist's contract, he/she shouldn't be soliciting business while on the job.  (Just give a phone number and call later to set it up).

As for this case, just switch it to a demo/free trial/TFP, and give a very generous tip.  I'm sure the 50% doesn't count tips...

May 16 06 02:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

I've been a salon manager of our family salon/spa for 7 years now. I have finally gotten out of the family business to do freelancing on my own because it WAS a conflict of interest. IF I EVER talked to someone at a salon, continued to make a deal, set up a date, then gave a rate, ON SALON TIME, I would expect the owners to assume that they were basically making a salon appointment with a salon client on location. We have a "non compete" contract which is very standard in this industry. One of the things that it explains is that stylists can not solicit "salon clients".

The salon is the one who pays for the advertising to bring clients in. Advertising is not cheap. I have a budget of about 500-1,000 dollars a month for advertising and that is sometimes on the low end in our area! If a client comes to our salon because of an ad that we payed for, you better believe we would get upset if someone went ahead and solicited the salon's client. And if they went ahead and did something we would assume that they were doing it for the commission. (The 50% that the owner wanted may have been the 50% of commission that the salon takes on all it's clients. It was not just that one incident I'm sure.) As a salon owner, if you took the client during salon time, negotiated a price on a client I payed for to come into the establishment (through advertising), I would rightfully expect that this was still a salon client and that I would be getting my cut.

P.S. You could have definitely just gotten his number and he could have called you on his own perogative, during non work hours. That would be up to him to decide to take that chance or not.

P.P.S. Contrary to popular demand salons do not get rich in their portion of the stylists prices. All if not more of the salons cut goes to overhead, rent, utilities, supplies, etc. etc. etc.  So it may seem crazy for someone to take 50%, but remember it is the industry standard to keep the place open and running! Anything extra comes from retail sales, etc.

As for me, my passion for freelance became stronger then my passion to manage the salon, so therefore I took the route of leaving. Some people do not have the support or means to just up and leave a salon because of their rules. You have bills, family, etc to think of. I was lucky that even if my freelance career started off shaky we would still be okay for a little bit. It may be easy to say, "Screw that, leave that place!" BUT It's like any other industry. If you left you may find a place to pick you up, but there's a big chance they will have the same set of rules. Then you are stuck.

May 16 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

PeopleFirst Photography wrote:
Tell the owner to go F*&^# herself. She is not entitled to any comp from work done outside of the business.

I second this.  Just because you contacted the individual in the salon doesn't mean the owner is entitled to squat.

Someone else made the comment about doing the shoot anyway.  What the owner doesn't know won't hurt them.

May 16 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

My MuA owns a Day Spa and if one of her stylists were offered work outside of company time from a customer she'd be more than supportive and never ask for a dime.

This is why greedy business owners have a higher rate of failure than supportive business owners.

I’d contact the MuA and offer yourself as a reference to find a new salon.

May 16 06 04:02 pm Link