Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > why wont they work with me

Wardrobe Stylist

jay joseph

Arlington, Virginia, US

why are boutiques in my area so NOT wanting to work with new talent. WHAT AM I DOIN WRONG. i have a comp card a business card a portfolio so my work is well represented.. BUT NONONE WANTS TO HELP ME OUT.. any help with this>> lol

i only got 1 to work with me out of 10

May 14 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you bringing them clients or wanting to utilize their resources?

May 14 06 11:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

your new, it has nothing to do with you personally but your new and dont have a "name" and maybe you just need to work your "shmoozing" skills, purchase a few peices build a "relationship" even if its just to get a deal. I have built a "relationship" with a gal at the local sephora here and she gives me discounts and free samples all of the time smile its all about net working smile

May 15 06 12:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Brooke

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm a MUA but am thinking of doing some styling.  I've been going in and getting to know the owners of the small boutiques in my area.  I've just been going in and looking around then striking up a convo with people who work there.  Once they get to know who I am, I'm gonna bring up them possibly working with me to style a shoot.

May 15 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I do a lot of shots that require make up and etc. And I have other make up artists and stylists offer all the time to help, but I have to turn them down.

Mainly cause we already have a couple make up artists working on stuff already who are close friends. It's nothing against new talent, but you get used to working with certain people who become close friends.

May 15 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Digerati Image Studio

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Find someone in your shoes... a new photographer or a new boutique.  Approach them with a plan to benefit you both and start from there.

May 19 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

1 out of 10 is EXCELLENT response! Seriously, if you're closing one deal out of every 10 potential clients you contact, you're doing a great job.

If this was easy, everybody would be doing it. . . oh wait, shit. Everybody IS doing it! But you know what I mean. . . . if my responses were 1 in 10 I'd be deliriously happy.

Just out of curiousity, how many hours per week do you spend on real, actual marketing and sales activity?

May 19 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Trujillo

Chino Hills, California, US

Yes yes, 1 out of 10 is good, that a good average...Keep it up, no one says it gonna be easy...

Nathan

May 19 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

You got 1 jayw.
You take that 1 and you work your butt off for them make them love your work  and always want to use you. Then they will recomend you to others and you will have 2 clients. wash rinse and repeat untill your calinder is booked full, then you can raise your day rate a smige.

good luck to you.

May 19 06 05:00 pm Link