Forums > General Industry > Using guns and weapons as props

Photographer

LightWorks Photography

Venice, Florida, US

Merlinstouch wrote:
Umm it was for a hunting store. They use models all the time. So the bow was important. The bow (which is the new Hoyt, not like it matters here) has a draw that the model wasnt even able to pull back and even if she could have pulled it back I wouldnt have let her because dry firing a bow will ruin it.

So I guess next time a client asks me to put something deemed stupid by the rest of the photography world, even though they arent putting food on my table I should say. "Sorry weapons and models don't mix."

I like the shot but I must admit the first thing I noticed was that she did not have it at full draw. It looks like she just took the tension out of it. I shoot so maybe that is why I looked at that first.
Eric

May 15 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

How to prepare a firearm for a photo shoot:

1) Make sure it is unloaded. Check the chamber and remove the clip. Work the action to make sure there are no rounds in the mechanism (some weapons store one or two rounds in the mechanism making the weapon appear empty when it is not).

2) Remove the firing pin.

3) Insert a snap-cap or an empty/used cartridge into the chamber to further insure that a live round cannot be loaded during your shoot.

4) Advise the model on proper safety protocols and to treat the weapon as if it were loaded even though you have gone to great lengths to disable it and verify that it is unloaded.

5) Have fun.

May 15 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Gold Rush Studio wrote:
How to prepare a firearm for a photo shoot:

1) Make sure it is unloaded. Check the chamber and remove the clip. Work the action to make sure there are no rounds in the mechanism (some weapons store one or two rounds in the mechanism making the weapon appear empty when it is not).

2) Remove the firing pin.

3) Insert a snap-cap or an empty/used cartridge into the chamber to further insure that a live round cannot be loaded during your shoot.

4) Advise the model on proper safety protocols and to treat the weapon as if it were loaded even though you have gone to great lengths to disable it and verify that it is unloaded.

5) Have fun.

i'd revise this to:

take real weapon place back into box, lock it, and remove from studio/set

take out non-firing prop

then jump ahead to Have fun

May 15 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

Kayla Donia

Vancouver, Washington, US

Pacific Beach Pictures wrote:
A couple of times now I've had models pose with guns, swords, and knives. Do you guys have issues with using the real thing? The swords were technically props, but could easily break bones or puncture. The knives were real, and the guns too. Models, ever get asked "Here, hold this 12 guage?" Does it freak you out? Photogs, does it make you leery to hand a model you just met a 45 auto, even though it's unloaded? I have about 20 years with guns, so I don't worry for my self too much. The last model I shot with was trained so it was ok, but I guess most aren't.

Maybe it's because I'm young or something, or maybe I was just raised in a strange way, but I don't think a photographer could pay me enough to shoot with a gun. Granted, I'll never say never, but at this point in my life, the idea of me holding a gun, loaded or unloaded, makes me queasy. I think the furthest you could go with me would be one of those real-looking cap guns.

On the other hand, I would shoot with swords. between my four brothers have a fairly extensive collection which I would love to shoot with some day.

May 15 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Kayla Donia

Vancouver, Washington, US

A couple of times now I've had models pose with guns, swords, and knives. Do you guys have issues with using the real thing? The swords were technically props, but could easily break bones or puncture. The knives were real, and the guns too. Models, ever get asked "Here, hold this 12 guage?" Does it freak you out? Photogs, does it make you leery to hand a model you just met a 45 auto, even though it's unloaded? I have about 20 years with guns, so I don't worry for my self too much. The last model I shot with was trained so it was ok, but I guess most aren't.

Maybe it's because I'm young or something, or maybe I was just raised in a strange way, but I don't think a photographer could pay me enough to shoot with a gun. Granted, I'll never say never, but at this point in my life, the idea of me holding a gun, loaded or unloaded, makes me queasy. I think the furthest you could go with me would be one of those real-looking cap guns.

On the other hand, I would shoot with swords. between my four brothers have a fairly extensive collection which I would love to shoot with some day.

May 15 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

I do not use these kind of props because I have never seen it done well.  I am not giving a model a weapon of any kind because most likely they have not clue about safety.  Gun shots are great if you are shooting (pardon the pun) for a gun magazine, other than that the shots have always looked silly and out of place to me.

May 15 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Morningstar wrote:
Keep safety, top priority. Verify guns arent loaded. Use BB guns instead.
(see below)
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/morningstar55/Amy1.jpg

If you are, I agree about the BB thing.  If the model is supplying the gun...be weary, a buddy had a scenerio where he turned his back the model was showing the weapon to another model...loaded it (showing the model how) and Bamm, sadly, it killed one of his strobe units...the good thing is it didn't kill anyone.

Be careful with BB guns such as the one above...the slide is sooo BB, that you can't take the shot seriously.

May 15 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Curious du Jour

Dooms, Virginia, US

an unloaded gun is no more or less a prop than anything else. that said, i tend to think "the gun shot" is both overdone and generally approached in the wrong way.
that didn't stop me from shooting a roll or two one night. it was totally tongue-in-cheek, and the end result was pretty fun ...and no one died a gruesome death.
and, while i think that while most models would look more comfortable posing in a landfill than holding a gun, some models can definitely pull it off well. i shot those images with my friend envy (mm#25477), and that girl's just a badass. if we were drinking in a bar together and someone got in my face, she'd drop 'em without missing a beat - i'd never even have to set down my drink. that natural badass-ness comes across on film really well.
so, yeah, i think the difference between the cliche` gun-shot and a really fun image lies largely with the model who is wielding the weaponry.

May 15 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Chicks with guns remind me of those calendars in car repair shops where you have a chick in a bathing suit holding a socket wrench or a can of engine de-gunker.

If you think chicks with guns are sexy ... check your neck.

May 15 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

I a very familiar with weapons of all types. Just got these from a buddy who snapped these of me this weekend:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/LeeRainier2.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/LeeRainier.jpg
I've fired everything from a BB gun to a 5-inch naval gun, and pretty much everything in between. Having been a competition shooter, Army officer, and weapons handler for a movie, I can tell you this IMHO:
I would never, EVER bring a functional weapon to a shoot. PERIOD. For me, there is simply no trust for someone I don';t know either way. There is NO such thing as a "unloaded" weapon. I lost two good friends of mine to people who "knew" the weapon wasn't loaded and they did something stupid. I once had a kid (about 19 I recall) pull out a German P-38 pistol and put it to the back of my head at a WW2 re-enactment and was pulling the trigger as I turned around to see what it was. I snatched it from his hand, just before the trigger engaged. He started ranting about how I was such a p*ssy because it wasn't loaded. Imagine his surprise when I pulled back the slide and a blank round popped out! If he had pulled that trigger all the way, even on a blank, it almost surely would have killed me. I have no doubt he THOUGHT it wasn't loaded, but you get the idea.
As much as I am into military history, have an insane WW2 weapons collection and re-enact WW2 battles, I just don't get the "girls with guns" thing. Most have no idea how to hold them, many look afraid of what they're holding, and frankly, to me, it's just not sexy in the slightest.
Just like a photo I saw of a model on a port on MM. A girl was holding a weapon, wearing a Army beret. All I could see was that the beret wasn't fitted correctly at all, had no insignia, and to me, she looked like a fool. Nope, not sexy at all...

Sep 17 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I do NOT shoot with fake guns or fake fur...

It's a principle thing...

Sep 17 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Merlinstouch wrote:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060429/10/4453840c88a17.jpg

I can understand the knives, I'd be more apt to have them either dull or have them sign some type of release in case they did get cut. But guns should be unloaded, so that should be a non-issue.

great pic I like the depth of field on it .. my first thought was..hope she didn't sneeze wink

Sep 17 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

Pacific Beach Pictures,

I use swords, Guns (plastic), and knives, a lot.

KATANA: It's real and sharp.  I definitely tell them that.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/Katana.html

Still, for some reason they like licking the blade, especially the sharp edge.  So far the only casualties I've had are two very minor cuts on the thumb.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img130.jpg

KNIVES: Real and sharp, but never an accident yet.

GUNS: So far I've been using plastic paint ball guns - unloaded of course.  All the models love 'em.  For many, it's the first time they've held any kind of a gun before in their lives. Last thing they care about is a lecture on gun safety.  Just the few seconds it takes me to tell them it's a plastic paintball gun and it's unloaded goes in one ear and out the other - they just what me to give them the gun - now! 

When it comes to the final shoots, I'll be using real guns.  Although there will not be ammunition anywhere close to the studio, I'll probably disable something to make the guns inert.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlswithGuns.html

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlsW … page2.html

Note:  I'm aware that in these test shots, the models are not always holding the guns "tactically correct."  Rest assured, they will be in the final shots.

-Glenn

Sep 18 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Airsoft guns are a great replacement replica for the real thing - safer too smile
E

Sep 18 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
well

i wouldnt care if someone had a gazillion years of experience in handling weapons, if there were real 'live' weapons on a set or film shoot, any model should probably walk off

there should NEVER be real weapons at a shoot or on a set - period, not open for debate

just ask your insurance carrier (if you even have one)

or just jot into your next city shoot/film permit (if you even have one) that oh btw, you'll be using authentic weapons during the shoot/film, see how fast they'll approve it

i always use props, and when i use props, i have a trained weapons handler/fight choreographer to handle the props

as an example of what could go wrong, just look at brandon lee, and that was not even  a real gun, with trained professional movie weapon handlers, not someone who's just been around them

Brandon, you and I live in NYC, one of the toughest areas in the country to have a weapon.  I am an ex weapons sgt, I know how to handle weapons, you mention Brandon, that was a weapon the fired blanks not lethal ammo, too close even they can kill.  Even having fake weapons on site get you scrutinized more closely.

Sep 18 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I'm not a big fan of guns. Not that I'm unfamiliar with their use. I was a forward gunner on a PBR. But as far using them for props I'd rather pass it by. Besides gun props are so cliche.

BUT....if you insist on using guns stop using all those little namby pamby, pea shooting pop guns and go for the GUNS THAT MEAN SOMETHING....as in these guns.....

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_8165445/231e/__sr_/f21d.jpg?grw1sDFBslB.R.7h

Sep 18 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

removed member

heres a photo of  girl with a gun...the only one ive ever seen that was effective.

https://www.vietnamwar.com/jane_gun.jpg

hanoi jane.  and without that photo a ton of people wouldnt believe she was that much of an asshole.  but...yes.....she is.

i think girls and guns photos are insanely boring.  and well....corny and stupid and cliche and so on....

guns were invented to KILL.  end of story.  thats why they are still around today. 

if you like guns so much....join the military.  they have plenty.

Sep 18 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Most models just look awkward holding a gun.  If you can make it work fine, but the majority of girl/gun photos just don't work that well.

Sep 18 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

jason messer wrote:
heres a photo of  girl with a gun...the only one ive ever seen that was effective.

https://www.vietnamwar.com/jane_gun.jpg

hanoi jane.  and without that photo a ton of people wouldnt believe she was that much of an asshole.  but...yes.....she is.

i think girls and guns photos are insanely boring.  and well....corny and stupid and cliche and so on....

guns were invented to KILL.  end of story.  thats why they are still around today. 

if you like guns so much....join the military.  they have plenty.

Ironic your photo of Hanoi Jane fell underneath the of one me behind my 50's....I still hate the bitch.

Sep 18 06 08:09 am Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

I wouldn't bother me at all.  I grew up around guns and am comfortable with them loaded or not.  I don't see where a loaded weapon would be needed for an image unless of course I was actually firing.  (ohhh,,new idea. yay)  I wouldn't see a gun/knife/sword any different than another other kind of prop.

ak

Sep 18 06 08:13 am Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

p51 wrote:
I a very familiar with weapons of all types. Just got these from a buddy who snapped these of me this weekend:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/LeeRainier2.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/LeeRainier.jpg
I've fired everything from a BB gun to a 5-inch naval gun, and pretty much everything in between. Having been a competition shooter, Army officer, and weapons handler for a movie, I can tell you this IMHO:
I would never, EVER bring a functional weapon to a shoot. PERIOD. For me, there is simply no trust for someone I don';t know either way. There is NO such thing as a "unloaded" weapon. I lost two good friends of mine to people who "knew" the weapon wasn't loaded and they did something stupid. I once had a kid (about 19 I recall) pull out a German P-38 pistol and put it to the back of my head at a WW2 re-enactment and was pulling the trigger as I turned around to see what it was. I snatched it from his hand, just before the trigger engaged. He started ranting about how I was such a p*ssy because it wasn't loaded. Imagine his surprise when I pulled back the slide and a blank round popped out! If he had pulled that trigger all the way, even on a blank, it almost surely would have killed me. I have no doubt he THOUGHT it wasn't loaded, but you get the idea.
As much as I am into military history, have an insane WW2 weapons collection and re-enact WW2 battles, I just don't get the "girls with guns" thing. Most have no idea how to hold them, many look afraid of what they're holding, and frankly, to me, it's just not sexy in the slightest.
Just like a photo I saw of a model on a port on MM. A girl was holding a weapon, wearing a Army beret. All I could see was that the beret wasn't fitted correctly at all, had no insignia, and to me, she looked like a fool. Nope, not sexy at all...

Well, these images are sexy. That counts, right? smile smile

Sep 18 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I have more of a problem with the whole genre than with whether the stuff is real or not. 

First question is whether the picture is about the gun or the girl.  If it's about the gun, then the girl shouldn't be there.  If it's about the girl, then the gun should be another almost unnoticable prop, and that's hard to do with a gun. 

Or a motorcycle.

In general, the genre's been done way too much for something that difficult to get right.  And for a genre without a whole lot of purpose.

-Don

Kind of like bondage?

Sep 18 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

To all the no-lifers with cliche-filled portfolios calling everything they see with a girl in it cliche - well, say whatever you want about girls with guns, but don't you be dissin my feather boas

https://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img332.jpg

....and don't be talkin smack about my santa hats either or the only thing you'll be gettin for Christmas is a stocking full of lead and coal!

https://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img458.jpg

Santa knows..... who you are!

-Glenn

Sep 18 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

i think it's makes really cool shots
i want to pose with weapons....

-Miss Beth

Sep 18 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Digitalis

Richmond, California, US

With 30 years of experience handling and firing firearms, I reflect on this topic with a lot of personal history and contemplation. I am at once repelled and attracted to imagery of women with firearms sans the legitimate occupational capacity to facilitate them. For fantasies' sake, there is certainly a stimulating quality which many males can most definately resonate with. Seeing a scantily-clad femme intimately embraced with a .50 caliber Desert Eagle or a Kalashnikov would stir the blood of a corpse, needless to say most sex-starved men, but what is the context?

There has been a definitive trend in images which depict empowered women over the past few years. Examples include the incarnate "Charlie's Angels", which heralded the newest installment of femme fatales for pop culture. I find the coalescing of sex with violence a bit reckless, though. Just what is it that we are seeking to stimulate to this degree? I am in favor of everyone having their "due"... As a war-obsessed youth, I never lost a minute in the pursuit of surrounding myself in armaments and military regalia of one fashion or another. Death comes to us all, so why would depictions of women with death-dealing devices be exempt from our quest for what makes us human...or inhuman?

I have executed a single photo shoot in which a 9mm and an AK-47 were implemented as props at the model's request. They actually belonged to this girl and she was competent to operate them. There was no compunction on my part with the session. She was not using them for public display, only for her enjoyment.

I have to wonder, though, of a model or photographer's intention behind using firearms as props in still images. Just what are we attempting to satiate with these scenarios? Is violence sexy? Is death more perceivable and tolerable when a woman is administering it? I don't know and I don't imagine these can be answered universally, only individually.

I think that there is vast beauty in death and tools of death can definitely be objects of aesthetic quality which coupled with the universal appeal of an attractive and sensuous female, produce art. I just think we should take responsibility and care with intent and context when we produce these images. Art for art's sake is little different than words for words' sake...Sometimes we are better off just shutting our mouths;)

Paix et amour,
Caine Rose

Sep 18 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

prophet sound

Lawrence, Indiana, US

what the fuck is wrong with you people..

if you get to shoot models.. why can't they shoot you?

it seems totally fair.. fun and entirely in good nature to make such a trade..

and i think it'd be kinda neat!

any models reading this.. i'll shoot you if you shoot me..

Sep 18 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

It's all just fantasy. That's it...period. That's the business we're in.... all of us, at least all of us that shoot young attractive women.  The girl walks in off the street.... dresses in the fantasy costumes, does the fantasy hairstyle and heavy makeup, straps on the high heels and struts onto the set.  The soft colored lights pop all around her, she strikes poses this way, that way, up, down, twirls this way, and that way, flash, flash, smiles, laughs, bats her eyes, shakes her hips and booty and sashays back into the dressing room. She removes the makeup, puts her hair up, puts back on her street clothes, and walks back out and blends into the city.

None of it's real!  It's all fake, and it's totally irrelevant if she's posing with a gun, a teddy bear, a welding torch, a motorcycle, or a frickin mop.

https://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img228.jpg

big_smile

-Glenn

Sep 18 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

ak68 wrote:

Well, these images are sexy. That counts, right? smile smile

Wow, you just made my week. I've been called many things recently, but NOT sexy in any context. Thanks!
The funny thing is I dated a lot of "camp follower" type women when I was active duty, and I married the first woman I dated who wasn't impressed I was in the Army at all. Funny, huh? She absolutely HATES this stuff!

Sep 18 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

I think it's totally cool if the model holdes said weapon convincingly or in a very creative artistic way...  I've done one fine art nude sword shoot and would love to do a gun shoot... Especially an antique handgun...

Sep 18 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've done it.  At the models request.  But I have also been military trained  on weapons and know how to safely inspect a firearm.  I hold a mini class before ever handing over the weapon.

https://www.foxesforever.com/aptstud.jpg

Sep 18 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I've grown up around guns, knives, & swords my entire life so I have no problem handling them or posing with them appropriately.  I actually have pictures of me and my older bro in full ninja garb with bolkens & grapling hooks terrorizing our apartment complex as kids.

Sep 18 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Ransom J wrote:
https://www.foxesforever.com/aptstud.jpg

Nice shot, very nice.  You even got your fill light in!  wink

Personally, I would Photoshop out the nipple cover. I feel the pain, been there too often.

Anyway, Pop Quiz time:

Who of the three people would look the best holding the M-107?

https://gallery.pcapex.com/data/789/E3_Booth_Babes_153.jpg

-Glenn

Sep 19 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In spite of the very recent shooting in Monteal, here in Canada guns aren't as much in your face.

For many of us the mistique of taking pictures of people with cigarrettes or with guns or knives (and specially with camouflage) seems almost alien to us. I must even admit that women in high heel shoes now don't do much for me. They look uncomfortable!

But I have used weapons in the past and here is an example.
Alexwh

http://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/im … des/02.jpg

Sep 19 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

For me the use of a weapon has to be justified. I justified it here in this portrait of San Macareno de la Estocada, the patron saint of bullfighters.
Alexwh
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/30.jpg

Sep 19 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think it's very interesting how this theme pops up on  a regular basis. It seems many believe a firearm is somehow special and should never be used as a prop, while others believe it is simply a cliche (Like a color shot of a sunset?) and some are simply hostile to firearms. Well that's all fine, don't use them them, that's your right and can also help to cut down my competition. Those who are not competent enough to verify that  weapon is unloaded nd safe before passing it to another, well who knows, maybe they qulify for a Darwin Award.

A cliche is only a cliche if it is photographed without creativity. In the meantime I'll continue to use firearms and blades in my Warrior Collection. For some reason that series is quite popular!

http://www.distinctiveimages.com/warrio … _nic12.jpg

Sep 19 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Knives are okay when you use them to eat a mango pit.
Alexwh

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/Manilamango.jpg

Sep 19 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Or me in the sierra of Guerrero, Mexico with a cuerno de chivo (AK-47).
Alexwh
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/AlexwhenGuerrero-1.jpg

Sep 19 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

.......and good for whittling too.

https://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img218.jpg

-Glenn

Sep 19 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

......and magic

https://www.pacificprodigital.com/images/Img467.jpg

Magician Levitating a Dagger

-Glenn

Sep 19 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Southern Image Photo

Garner, North Carolina, US

My first response to all of the people talking about their qualifications to handle a firearm is to consider the fact that I've never had any formal training with firearms myself, except for a hunter safety course I took in high school.

The only other training I had was from my dad and my older brother, who were quite insistent regarding I learn the proper way to handle a firearm before they ever would let me go hunting.

As a result, I was using a 12 gauge shotgun by the time I was 10 years old. That was over 30 years ago, and I STILL have a huge fear of anyone pointing a gun in my direction, or who is handling a firearm in an ignorant fashion. Doesn't mean I don't like guns, only I have a huge respect for what they are capable of and a huge aversion to being around idiots.

My second response to all of the people talking about their "qualifications" to handle a firearm is....

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/680/

Click the link then have a tissue handy to cope with the tears of laughter.

Sep 19 06 06:46 pm Link