Forums > General Industry > Female impersonator - yes or no?

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

I have been asked by a fairly popular female impersonator in this area to shoot some promo/publicity stills.  Quite honestly, it could lead to more work from others in the same circle.  Should I take the job?  Is there a possibility of it coming back to haunt me in the future.  He(/she) is really a fantastic person, and quite stunning.
I am just looking for opinions here.  What are other photogs thoughts on the matter.  Would you or wouldn't you take the job?

May 13 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

One of the first stylists I regularly worked with about 5-6 years ago was also one of the most amazing female impersonators I've ever seen. I shot him, I shot several others in San Francisco, all while I was still a student, though I haven't done any of that work recently, and it hasn't really affected my career shooting fashion and lifestyles since one iota. Your mileage may vary.

May 13 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Have you lost your mind?

Joke.. Hi 5 to the first person that gets it.

May 13 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would take the job myself.  But I'm of the opinion that if it hurt future jobs based on some prejudice than I'd count myself lucky in not having to deal with that person.  Not to mention maintaining my own integrity of being non-prejudicial (sp?).

Besides that, think about how creative you and the impersonator could be and really blow it out of the water if you wanted to. 

I dunno I guess I approach it all with the idea that it can all be fun especially if it's a new experience.  Life is all about trying new things.  So I vote for doing it and have a good time.

May 13 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Dude...

Since when did you have a sexual preference as to who paid you green munies/duckets/moolah for a photo shoot?

May 13 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

I'd rather shoot him than a wedding

May 13 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

mikell wrote:
I'd rather shoot him than a wedding

LOL
And I have a wedding to shoot next weekend. . .

May 13 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ugh weddings!  Too many bridezillas for me to deal with and remain sane.  The pressure!  The pressure!  Wait, I've got it!!  Maybe a wedding of a female impersonator?  ;-D

May 13 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

Colford Studios wrote:
I would take the job myself.  But I'm of the opinion that if it hurt future jobs based on some prejudice than I'd count myself lucky in not having to deal with that person.  Not to mention maintaining my own integrity of being non-prejudicial (sp?).

Besides that, think about how creative you and the impersonator could be and really blow it out of the water if you wanted to. 

I dunno I guess I approach it all with the idea that it can all be fun especially if it's a new experience.  Life is all about trying new things.  So I vote for doing it and have a good time.

Actually, he is a really fun person, and in his "stage persona" is an absolute hoot to be around.  I have met him on a couple of occasions, and I have a feeling that it could turn out to be a really great shoot.  Possibly one of my better experiences behind the camera.  I was really just looking for some others opinions.
Thanks to you all for responding.

May 13 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Colford Studios wrote:
Wait, I've got it!!  Maybe a wedding of a female impersonator?  ;-D

ZING!

May 13 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Some of my favorite people in the world are involved with a drag queen puppet bingo show...so yes, I'd do the shoot.

May 13 06 10:44 pm Link