Forums > General Industry > How much to start charging...?

Model

Rene K

Austin, Indiana, US

Hey everyone - I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a decent price is to start charging a photog for a semi-experienced model. I have several years of experience and generally work through an agency so I don't typically have to worry about what to charge. But on a site like this when I find work independently rather than through an agency, I'm not exactly sure what to ask for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks so much...

May 13 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

Rene K

Austin, Indiana, US

c'mon...just a rough estimate? please wink

May 14 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I'd think just about the same as you'd make through an agency.

May 14 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Vatic Perceptions Media

Swanton, Vermont, US

I would take a look at what other models in the area are charging.  Its hard to give an estimate when every area seems to have different average rates.  Its based on supply and demand.  In my state, there are as many photographers as models and the models are really very fit.. so the better models could charge a lot more then they could in other areas.  How saturated is the market with models there?  Just do a profile search of models within a few miles of your house and see if any of them have rates posted on their profile and go from there.  smile

May 14 06 01:37 am Link

Model

Rene K

Austin, Indiana, US

Thanks! Though I haven't yet seen any rates posted...but I'll continue checking around...

May 14 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Vatic Perceptions Media

Swanton, Vermont, US

If they dont have them posted, just ask some of the photographers that you have worked with or speak to in the area.  Im sure they have either paid, or spoken to models about the rates.  I know that I get random messages from models giving me their rates, so Im assuming thats universal smile

May 14 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Asking for what agency models get is almost a sure way to NOT get paid shoots.
You can ask what most get.  Lets say its $125.00 per hour for a catalog shoot.
This is just a base number.  Now I notice that while you are pretty you are well
under 5'8" tall.  So think maybe $50.00 an hour as fair.  That also depends on what
the shoot is for.  Remember one thing though without a agency or agent ( I hate web agents.) if a client doesn't pay you, you will have a hard time collecting your
fee.  Which is why agencies are important.  They usually have to licensed and bonded.  If you are planning to charge photographers keep in mind many are just
normal guys with often limited money to pay models with.  Good luck.

May 14 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I wouldn’t charge you too much smile

May 14 06 02:02 am Link

Model

Rene K

Austin, Indiana, US

Did you mean that I shouldn't charge too much, or that you wouldn't charge me too much?

May 14 06 12:04 pm Link