Forums > General Industry > Overuse of MM messaging.

Photographer

Stu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Seeing a bit too much use of MM messaging. I know models and MUAs who like to write me and send time sensitive info thru ModelMayhem. I dislike this because it's slow and cumbersome making it an annoyance..

1. I can't always access MM due to the nature of the content but I usually can get at my regular email. (Content filters at free wireless sites usually bar MM)

2 MM is slow as molasses and it may take me 3 to 5  minutes just to get to the first message.

3. its harder to transfer the info to other formats and you cant send photos or documents thru MM.

4.Whereas MM is great for meeting people and setting up, once you work with each other or get to know one another then you should use the phone or regular emails to be efficient.

SO what I am saying is meet and greet people thru MM but once you have gotten thru that use regular emails to save bundle of work and easier access. I think if more people know its an inconvenience that they would use other means to communicate.

Is this happening to you and what are your thoughts?

May 12 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Stu Haluski wrote:
Seeing a bit too much use of MM messaging. I know models and MUAs who like to write me and send time sensitive info thru ModelMayhem. I dislike this because it's slow and cumbersome making it an annoyance..

1. I can't always access MM due to the nature of the content but I usually can get at my regular email. (Content filters at free wireless sites usually bar MM)

2 MM is slow as molasses and it may take me 3 to 5  minutes just to get to the first message.

3. its harder to transfer the info to other formats and you cant send photos or documents thru MM.

4.Whereas MM is great for meeting people and setting up, once you work with each other or get to know one another then you should use the phone or regular emails to be efficient.

SO what I am saying is meet and greet people thru MM but once you have gotten thru that use regular emails to save bundle of work and easier access. I think if more people know its an inconvenience that they would use other means to communicate.

I've never had problems with MM at internet cafe's... have you check your browser settings?
Also, you can save important conversations in a pdf format and print them if need be.

Nothing is perfect.

Rich

May 12 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Stu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've never had problems with MM at internet cafe's... have you check your browser settings?
Also, you can save important conversations in a pdf format and print them if need be.

Nothing is perfect.

Rich

no nothing is perfect matter of fact MM is FAR from perfect but it has its uses.

Paneras, Krystles, TacoMac and several other free wireless access spots filter the content, MM is not allowed on all(they flash a big sign saying "due to the content of this website "nudity", access is not allowed.). In Atlanta there are so many free access points that unless you absolutely have to get on anywhere anytime then there is not an overwhelming reason to pay for wireless access at Starbucks or Kinkos, etc. Plus if you are at work, its not very wise to access MM for any reason.

I merely saying if you want a fast reply from me about something, MM messaging might not be the best way to do it. Regular email is the way to do it.  I check my email several times a day anywhere but only visit MM maybe once a day, but cant always get to it if I see that I have a msg but I could have responded if that person had sent a regular email.

May 12 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

James Perrin

Scarsdale, New York, US

Browser settings don't make a difference. MM is supposed to be a site for listing portfolios and linking to people of interest....although the forums are mighty entertaining too. But I agree that most one-on-one communication should be conducted through external e-mails. It's faster, it's more reliable (MM has crashed a few times, or you can suddenly be "not a current member"), you can supply attachments to your e-mail, and you can sort them into all kinds of folders of your choice. I do wish everyone would indicate an e-mail address for contacts.

May 12 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Stu Haluski wrote:

Yes it does happen to me and I agree.  It's usually not as big a problem for me so I tollerate it but I do find it cumbersome and prefer email, then phone when it's down to the wire.

May 12 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

For models anyway, I think MM messaging is easier because you can keep track of everything all in one place.

May 12 06 07:41 pm Link

Model

Ivy Vynes

Toledo, Ohio, US

Nemi wrote:
For models anyway, I think MM messaging is easier because you can keep track of everything all in one place.

exactly... my email is so cluttered with spam and crap from friends and annoying forwards and OMP bullshit, that it's hard to get to things I need... like my actual modeling stuff.

May 12 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

I agree Stu Haluski, MM or any site for that matter is for initial contact. After that I prefer to take it offsite to something I can view without depending on the site being up. It's an easy way I can tell who's serious about setting something up. If I don't speak by phone I don't schedule to shoot. Much easier to be casual about a schedule when you don't speak to or meet with a person. At least that's what it seems from those who have been unreliable.

MM doesn't have folder options so I don't see how it's really good for keeping track. It's great for chit chat and passive contact but that's about it. As I've learned from being on a server that crashed, your info isn't guaranteed to be there when you log back on.

What I do to manage personal email and business/photography email is have separate addresses for them. I currently don't get spam in the email boxes I use for scheduling.

May 12 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Savage

Encinitas, California, US

Seems pretty simple to just tell people after your initial contact on MM that you need them to use regular email to communicate with you......but maybe that's just me.

R

May 12 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

IvyLynn wrote:

exactly... my email is so cluttered with spam and crap from friends and annoying forwards and OMP bullshit, that it's hard to get to things I need... like my actual modeling stuff.

If you're having problems, then you should get a new email address exclusively for your modeling work. I actually have 2 emails, one for the OMP stuff, and one for the MM stuff. I use gmail and frankly I LOVE it. I love the way it keeps things organized and keeps everything together so long as the subject is maintained, plus it has really easy to use filters that you can create. I create a filter for each one of the photographers that I have worked with, plus a file for potential people, and I often archive things from other people that I would simply prefer to keep references for down the road incase they pop up again.

I still need to work out how to store my information so that I can keep it off of the internet, but thats in the works...
Where theres a will, theres a way...

May 13 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I like MM messaging except lately i get these emails saying I have a message and when I check there is nothing new there.

May 13 06 09:37 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

NC17 wrote:

If you're having problems, then you should get a new email address exclusively for your modeling work. I actually have 2 emails, one for the OMP stuff, and one for the MM stuff. I use gmail and frankly I LOVE it. I love the way it keeps things organized and keeps everything together so long as the subject is maintained, plus it has really easy to use filters that you can create. I create a filter for each one of the photographers that I have worked with, plus a file for potential people, and I often archive things from other people that I would simply prefer to keep references for down the road incase they pop up again.

I still need to work out how to store my information so that I can keep it off of the internet, but thats in the works...
Where theres a will, theres a way...

I have a seperate Gmail too...I still prefer MM. ::shrug::

May 13 06 10:44 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

People sometimes use mm messaging while doing private chats when they are both online. For professional correspondence, I always prefer to use my gmail.

May 13 06 10:48 am Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Ray Savage wrote:
Seems pretty simple to just tell people after your initial contact on MM that you need them to use regular email to communicate with you......but maybe that's just me.

R

It does seem pretty simple. In fact, if I actually want to work with someone after an initial round of communications, I tell the photographer/stylist that I prefer to communicate via email and give them my email address.

However, it's not that simple. About 75% of the time, the photographer/stylist doesn't pay attention to the part of my message that states "I prefer communicating via email, rather than go back and forth on MM. Please send further correspondence to ***@****.com." In some cases, I've had to repeat this statement 3-4 times in subsequent exchanges.

Either people don't actually read my entire message (which I don't view in a positive light), or they can't be bothered to respect my request (which doesn't come off too well to me, either).

May 13 06 05:13 pm Link