Forums > General Industry > How do photographers feel about retouching?

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

If a model asked your permission to have a retoucher do your photos would you say ok? Would you be insulted? What if the model did it without your permission?

May 12 06 09:05 am Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
If a model asked your permission to have a retoucher do your photos would you say ok? Would you be insulted? What if the model did it without your permission?

hahahahaha.

May 12 06 09:05 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Lol. My point being that the photographer has a look in mind. What's a retoucher going to do that a photographer can't?

May 12 06 09:07 am Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Lol. My point being that the photographer has a look in mind. What's a retoucher going to do that a photographer can't?

I couldn't agree more.  I really don't see a point for a retoucher.  As far as the "color balance" mentioned in the other thread...maybe that's how it's supposed to look??  Every photographer has, like you said, a look in mind.  Photos that all look the same are just boring.

May 12 06 09:09 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

And as someone said color balance/white balance/etc is a matter of opinion.

May 12 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

It shouldn't even be an issue if a MUA is used.

May 12 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

A retoucher is going to make the picture actually look good.

Look every professional(I guess I really mean commercial) is retouched before you see it.  Everyone all the time.  Even pre-press people are changing the colours, and targeting.

Photography has since its beginning been a a multi-step process.  The new darkroom is in the computer a images need more work after they came out of the camera.  Every image looks better with post production, all the time.

Check out Box Studios.... see the difference.

May 12 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

area291 wrote:

It shouldn't even be an issue if a MUA is used.

Exactly! I use an excellent MUA that airbrushes makeup so the only retouching is in cropping or lighting.

May 12 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

It all depends.  There are many people who can use photoshop a lot better than I can and they may be able to make the image look better.  But I would want to have the right to inspect the image and reject it if I wanted to before it was ever released to the model.

May 12 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If the model is the client, that's all good--when permission is sought.  The client is always right.  (Or at least that's what they're supposed to think I believe.)

May 12 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J. Stakeman wrote:
A retoucher is going to make the picture actually look good.

Or not.  The current thread from a "retoucher" is a good example of how a perfectly nice image, in the wrong hands, can become a parody.

Claire's question is distinct from the case of an advertiser or magazine who has a solid, professional retoucher.  They may well change the image a great deal, but that's part of what is anticipated when a photographer works for them.  He produces an image which he expects to see transformed in some way.  That's not the question Claire is asking.

May 12 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

I can do it myself... I'm leary of requests from models to "enhance" the images I've created. Every 16-32 yr old knows someone who has taken a photoshop course, and thinks that they can retouch professional images....

It should be noted that I'm not a believer in handing over flat, straight out of the camera, uncorrected images from a TEST shoot to a model. I only handover retouched and color corrected images. It's my reputation that I'm handing over. He/She will be showing these images all over town, and my name appears on the bottom!!

Any yes it has sometimes taken over a month to correct and adjust all of them, before she gets the CD, but on the other hand... as I'm working on them I'll email them one by one as a tease.

-Carlos

May 12 06 09:19 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I much prefer that the photographer touch them up his/her way. They know what they were trying to capture in the shot.

May 12 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

After a model had some images from a shoot we did retouched by a friend, making her look like a wax figure, first I made her remove them from her portfolio, if you dont like my work why work with me. Second , I immediately edited my release form to state that if the model wants any additional retouching it is to be done by no one but me.
I am of the opinion that if someone takes one of my images and edits it their way, it becomes their style, not mine.

May 12 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
After a model had some images from a shoot we did retouched by a friend, making her look like a wax figure, first I made her remove them from her portfolio, if you dont like my work why work with me. Second , I immediately edited my release form to state that if the model wants any additional retouching it is to be done by no one but me.

Exactly how it should be.

May 12 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I generally agree, Claire, as you can tell.  But that policy requires another, companion policy:  choosing to shoot only with skilled photographers.  All too much garp is produced where, if the images can be salvaged at all, it's with the application of retouching or editing skills that the photographer does not possess.  (That is NOT directed at your port . . . .)  In such a case some accomodation needs to be worked out - or the images just junked.

May 12 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Carlos Fonseca wrote:
It should be noted that I'm not a believer in handing over flat, straight out of the camera, uncorrected images from a TEST shoot to a model. I only handover retouched and color corrected images. It's my reputation that I'm handing over. He/She will be showing these images all over town, and my name appears on the bottom!!

Any yes it has sometimes taken over a month to correct and adjust all of them, before she gets the CD, but on the other hand... as I'm working on them I'll email them one by one as a tease.

*thumbs up*

if anything is going to make my work look like shit, i would at least like it to be me. big_smile

May 12 06 09:23 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:

*thumbs up*

if anything is going to make my work look like shit, i would at least like it to be me. big_smile

Lol I love that. I believe that if you are working with a good MUA, good photographer, there is no need for retouching artists.

May 12 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I was recently surprised to discover that a model had significantly altered a photo I took of her, altering it before she placed it in her portfolio.  She "screened" it, adding halftone-like screen effect to the photo, which I'm sure she must have felt improved the picture.

That in itself doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that after she altered the photo she added my name to it as a large photo credit. 

That is objectionable to me: first because the altered image no longer represents my work, and second because I never place large watermarks on images.  What she ended up with misrepresents me, in my opinion.

You see I don't object to her altering the image.  She was a TFP model and what she does with her copies of the pictures is entirely up to her.  What I do object to is the use of my name on the altered image, which however probably well intended on her part, misrepresents me.

May 12 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

If the images are for a client (magazine or manufacturer).....they would probably have their own retoucher at printer.  I would also pay even more attention to the very small details.  I wouldnt have a problem with them doing it.

If it is for a models portfolio or to show agencies...I would like to think that they would want a more natural look as opposed to having EVERYthing photoshopped out.  I do some retouching, but not to the extent that they look like they have plastic skin.
If the model wanted retouching done and wanted to pay for it theirself, If they asked permission, I probably wouldnt have a problem with it.  If they just went and did it on their own with no permission, I would have a problem with it.

I know everyone will hve their own take on this, I am just responding with my personal opinion

May 12 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

area291

J. Stakeman wrote:
Look every professional(I guess I really mean commercial) is retouched before you see it.  Everyone all the time.  Even pre-press people are changing the colours, and targeting.

That isn't true.  Re-touching may or may not be used prior depending upon the quality of the image and desired effect.  Not every image goes through retouching, but there is some tweeking done during assembly. 

In a publication, once the image hits pre-press the image is modified only to the extent of how it will print (ensuring the dot pattern won't mud per the screen size).  Once it hits the printer the cmyk separation has been completed and that is how it will print as it isn't their place to change it unless a proof is rejected, then the process starts over.

May 12 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

As a photographer I also wouldn't be happy with a model asking for a retoucher.  I want it to actually be my work that has my name on it.  I guess I'm funny that way.  Sure, there's always someone who can add to the quality, yada yada yada, but in the end it's still got my name on it.
  That being said, if it's a commercial image it becomes a whole different ballgame.  In that case it's almost a given that it will be manipulated.  Which of course will be something that you've worked out ahead of time so that it wouldn't be an issue.

May 12 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

I think you are giving a lot of photographers far too much credit when you talk of actual intent or "vision"

Its division of labor. You can have a photographer (or art director) supervise, but any scale production is like a machine.  Lots of different parts that are hopefully moving together.

Leaving demanding retouching be left to a photographer, is like insisting that the photographer do the hair, and the make-up, and the location scouting, and the catering, and the assisting... to make sure their vision is intact through the process.  Nothing like having the food throw off the mood for a shoot.

Of course there are people who are bad at it... but this purity and sacred process of making the image stuff is just silly.  Post production is a valuable integral part of the image making process, regardless of your level or caliber, commercialness or not.  The images that people are trying to emulate are worked on by tens of people, trying to get their on your own is most likely going to end in disappointment.

May 12 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

J. Stakeman wrote:
but this purity and sacred process of making the image stuff is just silly.

Spoken like the true" only in it for the money and not because I like it" type smile
You`re gonna end up one of those bitter old man photographers you hear about.

May 12 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Define "retouching".   What if the model has someone that can do things like Max V or Michael Rosen to an image?  Isn't that retouching too?    I know that I don't have the skill to do that type of stuff.  But I most certainly can handle the normal touchups that occur in a shoot.  So... like I said, it all depends.  I would weigh the request based on the individual circumstances.  Again, with the right to inspect and reject prior to being released to the model.

May 12 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

*Looks around wide-eyed*

Is this going to get ugly? Lol

May 12 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

area291

J. Stakeman wrote:
Leaving demanding retouching be left to a photographer, is like insisting that the photographer do the hair, and the make-up, and the location scouting, and the catering, and the assisting... to make sure their vision is intact through the process.  Nothing like having the food throw off the mood for a shoot.

I agree with that.  Those doing high-end photography are doing, well, photography.  There is a behind the scenes team of those that fine tune the results.  Left to the photographer, that eliminates...photography.

It becomes a high level process working within a team environment, but to a great extent the target is to get it right in the imaging, leaving little but minor fine tuning in the retouching process in preparing for delivery.

May 12 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

phcorcoran wrote:
That in itself doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that after she altered the photo she added my name to it as a large photo credit. 

That is objectionable to me: first because the altered image no longer represents my work, and second because I never place large watermarks on images.  What she ended up with misrepresents me, in my opinion.

You see I don't object to her altering the image.  She was a TFP model and what she does with her copies of the pictures is entirely up to her.  What I do object to is the use of my name on the altered image, which however probably well intended on her part, misrepresents me.

This is the main issue here. 

I have no problems with others retouching my images if I've given the client the right to use it as they see fit.  But I do not believe my name should be on it if it has been altered drastically.  Maybe something like Photo by:  Make by:  Artistic adjustments by:  and of course you have the right not to be mentioned at all.

Since the photographer holds the copyright and is either selling, trading , or giving the rights to his images he should be aware of what the project and idea the customer has at the onset.  As stated before, if its going to print, half a dozen people may alter it before it gets done.

peace
john

May 12 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Astounding Images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It already has.

May 12 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Shit, I would LOVE to have someone offer to retouch my pics and give them that really glossy magazine look. You think every photo in every magazine looked like that off the camera or with just some photog working in Photoshop? Afraid not.

May 12 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Maximum Impact

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Retouching, when everything was done by hand,  used to mean just that ... fix this nick here and here. Now  people are "retouching" what used to be setup and shot.

So now what we see is an entire image, from light ratios, dodge and burns to soft-focus being done in post. Each to their own I guess. But my preference is visualize the final shot, set the lights and shoot.

I shoot E6 so what you see is what you get but even so after scanning larger sizes, saturation levels still need to be changed; if there wasn't time to use a gel I am not to proud to add it later. The preference however is still to do as much in camera as possible.

May 12 06 09:54 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

MichaelBell wrote:
Shit, I would LOVE to have someone offer to retouch my pics and give them that really glossy magazine look. You think every photo in every magazine looked like that off the camera or with just some photog working in Photoshop? Afraid not.

And you would pay $50 per shot?

May 12 06 09:54 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

A good MUA is about $50-$100 for every shot to look good or $50 per shot to be retouched.

May 12 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Here on a commercial job a good MUA is $350+ a day... and a good retoucher is $150 an hour.....

May 12 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

$50 a shot, no way. You said if the model asked, I was assuming she would pay for it haha.

May 12 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

It depends . . .
If a model has paid me to shoot her port then she has every right to have images that look the way she wants. She is showing herself, not my work. If she wants them retouched so they look plastic, that's what she wants to show, and she should have it.
If I let her use some images from a shoot that I paid, then I want the photos to show what I wanted them to, and if she changes that, I wil be angry.
TFP is supposed to be a mutual thing, and I think then it is up for discussion. If she has them altered, I don't want my name on them. but she is showing them to sell herself, not me, so that's OK as well.

May 12 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

SolKat Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

my images are so airbrushed i'd be shocked if they asked for others to retouch more.

but if they did i'd grant them permission to do so.

but not remove the copyrights.

some photogs make it a huge deal. i dont think it is.

May 12 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

firstly i'd like to say that every single thing you see in every magazine has been retouched and to some very great extent.  good photographers will still shoot beautiful pictures, even in videos you see most of them have their film retouched.  retouching is only a tool to enhance but NOT FIX.  if the photographer is using retouching to fix problems then they probably aren't very good to begin with. i myself do very little retouching and only use it when I see fit and it's never to fix a problem, only to enhance the image.  i am also a model and a retoucher so people do pay me to retouch for them as well.  For me since I am one of the multi-talented people on the site that seems to do practically every for my shoots, if a model asked for the images to be retouched then i don't have a problem because i can do it myself.  i do not however give out permission to the model to retouch because the only images i give them are ones to display my talent in capturing them as best i can and people should see that.  if the model does it without my permission then that is a direct violation of the release that was signed.  the model can be taken to court and prosecuted for that. so, to say the least, yes i would be mad if a model did it without my permission.

May 12 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've recently added a clause in my Release that specifically states that there will be no editing of final delivered images. I don't want my edits edited.  This has been an issue with a couple of models here and I don't like to get nasty but I fiercly protect my copyright and the bottom line is this is a copyright violation if you do not get permission from the photographer to edit the images (assuming that there is no shared copyright).

With that said, I actually don't minds if the images are retouched by someone (model or retoucher) else if that person actually has skills.

There are a few models that I have shot trade with where I just hand them the color corrected jpgs.  I love those shoots because they do an excellent job of retouching the images that they want to use and my responsibilty to them ends the moment I deliver the disc. I can still edit the images that I want when I can get to them.

Unfortunately there are a lot of models and so called retouchers that can't do the job. I will only allow it if I can see a finished edit from a test image that I'll send them. Once the trust is established then I'll give them the rest to do.

May 12 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fons Studio wrote:
I can do it myself... I'm leary of requests from models to "enhance" the images I've created. Every 16-32 yr old knows someone who has taken a photoshop course, and thinks that they can retouch professional images....

-Carlos

I couldn't agree more. It has been a lesson learned for me. I do not plan on giving out "raw" images anymore. I assumed that models would know not to post them until final edit-which is completely my fault-and not there's.

May 12 06 10:32 am Link