Forums > General Industry > what's up with all these fees to work?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ok, this might be an old topic, but I couldn't find a thread on it. Sometimes I want to submit photos to magazines online and off and sometimes they require fees from $5 to $35 for contests. Is that normal? What's that all about?

May 11 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Yes...it is very common for magazines to charge an entry fee for contests

May 11 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most contest that I have seen where you submit something required a fee. It's probably partly to pay for the prizes and to pay for whatever other administrative stuff that could be required.

Fred,

May 12 06 11:03 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I appreciate you both responding. I was wondering, because as a new model people are always trying to charge you something. I just wanted to know what's standard or not for the industry.

May 12 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Additionally, many magazines charge a small fee to prevent people from simply tossing their whole portfolio over the fence to see what sticks. With a small fee, only those who truly believe in their work will submit. At least, that's the theory.

May 12 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Fees are a normal part of many types of contests.  They normally go to paying the prizes and covering the costs of the contest itself.   BTW - before you submit images you may want to check with the photographer because many require that the submitter have a release to submit it from the copyright owner.

May 12 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Thomas B wrote:
Yes...it is very common for magazines to charge an entry fee for contests

Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone else think Thomas avatar (at avatar size) look like she's holding a Sharpie between her cheeks?

May 12 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

WG Rowland wrote:

Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone else think Thomas avatar (at avatar size) look like she's holding a Sharpie between her cheeks?

hahahaha.....that is funny.....damn you....now I have to change it.
Thomas B

May 12 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Sorry.. It's a CUTE pic.. Up close.. 

But as an avatar I want to ask her to write her name on the white-board and see what happens next..

May 12 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Sorry.. It's a CUTE pic.. Up close.. 

But as an avatar I want to ask her to write her name on the white-board and see what happens next..

What a visual!!!   ROFLMAO

May 12 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Well here she is from the other end.....lol

May 12 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

Mark Anderson wrote:

What a visual!!!   ROFLMAO

That got me curious enough to go look at the port... would not have thought of that if it hadn't come up but now... ROFL!!!  I want to see the whiteboard too!

May 16 06 01:08 am Link