Forums > General Industry > Can you smile?

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Why is it that so many models, male and female alike do not smile in their images?  Are you not enjoying what you are going?  Not every shoot is the brooding serious thing, right?

May 11 06 04:11 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

I'm actually pretty self-conscious of my smile...in regular pictures with friends and family, I never hesitate to flash a toothy grin. But when modeling, I've found it hard to smile a not-so-toothy-smile without it coming off as fake/forced.

But it's something I know I need to work on! There are way too many serious images in my portfolio!  big_smile

May 11 06 04:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Robin Hansberry

Cheverly, Maryland, US

And your really shouldn't be Veena, I know you have a beautiful smile!  SHOW THOSE PEARLY WHITES!!!

May 11 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

I think it may depend on what kind of pose you are doing  or the type of shoot it is...sometimes the photographers dont want you to smile and then there are photographers that want you to smile..

I love to smile...big_smile

May 11 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

You know when I did my first all day shoot at Studio 317, I had a really hard time getting any of the models, male or female to smile for me, as the day went by I did get some pretty good smiles, but I found when culling the photos afterwards that most of them were in fact fake smiles that you could tell were fake. Now some weren't fake and those shots are fantastic, but the more serous shots were much better over all.
The best smiles were actually more of a laughter type smile, and were more candid in nature, which really worked well.

May 11 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't like it unless it's genuine.

May 11 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Veena J wrote:
I'm actually pretty self-conscious of my smile...in regular pictures with friends and family, I never hesitate to flash a toothy grin. But when modeling, I've found it hard to smile a not-so-toothy-smile without it coming off as fake/forced.

But it's something I know I need to work on! There are way too many serious images in my portfolio!  big_smile

ALL smiles are beautiful !!!!! :-),,except mine LOL

May 11 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Robin Hansberry wrote:
And your really shouldn't be Veena, I know you have a beautiful smile!  SHOW THOSE PEARLY WHITES!!!

Hmmm, "pearly whites?" I need some crest whitestrips to work on that...  smile

May 11 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

Smile!

May 11 06 04:35 pm Link

Model

Kristina Heaps

San Jose, California, US

It depends on the photographer. Some want me to smile, others tell me not to. It depends on the shoot.

May 11 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

I agree. I've tried smiling during shoots and the results always look forced and fake. I would love to have a good smiling picture...I just need to find a photographer who will actually make me laugh. smile

May 11 06 04:42 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

I have to grin like mad through all of my commercial shoots. I get so tired of that--I want something different when it comes to my MM port.

May 11 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

New York, New York, US

I have try to smile and they tell not to, they want me to look serious. I have a few of me smiling but not posted.

May 11 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I agree.. forced smiles almost always look fake.  I havent seen too many models that can just smile at a moment's notice and it looks real and geniune, though in my profile, the black and white with the dark background, she has the best smile of any model I've worked with and she isn't even interested in modeling.  That was a pose when I just said "okay give me a smile" smile

May 11 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Scott Evans wrote:
Why is it that so many models, male and female alike do not smile in their images?  Are you not enjoying what you are going?  Not every shoot is the brooding serious thing, right?

Maybe they aren't having fun?

I believe that a major part of the photographer's art is to inspire the appropriate context for his/her images, and that includes the expression on the model's face.  If you want a model to laugh, you need to be funny.  If you want the model to look angry, you've got to help them -- p!ss them off a little.  You get the idea.

May 11 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

ANTyson

Orlando, Florida, US

I can smile big_smile

See?

May 11 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Sharron P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Smiling is all I ever do. It's the other looks I need to work on. What can I say? I'm a happy person.

May 11 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Corena wrote:
I agree. I've tried smiling during shoots and the results always look forced and fake. I would love to have a good smiling picture...I just need to find a photographer who will actually make me laugh. smile

I agree also.  I love smiling, but unless you are actually laughing, it can look fake.

May 11 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

kate f wrote:

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

I agree also.  I love smiling, but unless you are actually laughing, it can look fake.

I would rather no smile than a fake smile.....I love making models laugh,,smile are great!

May 11 06 05:06 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Scott Evans wrote:
I would rather no smile than a fake smile.....I love making models laugh,,smile are great!

I guess there are a lot of models who need to work with you or someone like you then. smile

May 11 06 05:09 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Smiling isn't always appropriate.  It's not like we're being shot for our yearbooks here.  I love to smile, but sometimes my stupid grin ruins the picture.  big_smile

May 11 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

...Stacy wrote:
Smiling isn't always appropriate.  It's not like we're being shot for our yearbooks here.  I love to smile, but sometimes my stupid grin ruins the picture.  big_smile

Morbid indifference can also ruin a photo.

Expression is determined by the composition.  Sometimes smiling is inappropriate.  Other times the composition is ruined by lacktherof.  Look at any Tommy Hilfiger ad and tell me if you get the same feeling if they had the all too common "I'm trying hard to look sexy but I actually appear alternately bored or constipated" that you see around here.  Would Von Dutch ads have the same raw attitude if the models projected exhaustive lethargy?

No, you aren't shooting for a yearbook.  But there are countless variations on the smile.  Does the carefree bohemian smile the same way as the attorney who aiming to nail you in the courtroom?  Does the bedroom vixen on the verge of ecstacy smile the same as the theif who's just evaded the authorities?  Does the insane ex-girlfriend smile in her madness the same as the smile of a woman trying to save face?  Did any of those "women" (merely characters to be played in front of the camera) use those same smiles for yearbook pictures?

The problem stems from the fact that most people in general equate smiling with the say-cheese effect.  That's a shame.  For every situation, there's a smile that'll project an idea.  Much like there are other expressions for those same situations.  Unfortunately, very few models are capable of showing the range...

May 11 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Usually I get asked not to smile...but of course...even when I'm told not to smile I still inevitably end up with at least one shot like
https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/nnyrocksmysocks/Modeling/holgasmile.jpg
But I've got gigantic horse teeth...I don't want to put anyone's eyes out, so I keep those shots to myself :-P I smile all the time...I can't help myself

May 11 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

Gee thanks, cause i was confused.

May 11 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

shame i dont do glamour or whatever... as in fine art it's often better not to smile or even to look aware of the camera

but my smile is awesome !!

and so are the smile lines - when i stop...
boo hoo!

although i have great teeth, NO British people's teeth jokes!!

May 12 06 02:59 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I have crooked, not-so-white teeth with one ingrown.  I smile a lot, but not for photos when I'm modeling because it's more of a "beautiful because it's so imperfect" kind of smile.
But when I smile with my mouth closed, sometimes it looks pretty good.  Like in my avatar!

Edit.  Here it is: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/WyndMulysa/Other/wynd1.jpg

May 12 06 03:03 am Link

Model

Adria W.

Sacramento, California, US

I happen to love my smile.
And it comes naturally...Because I can never stop laughing smile
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060512/03/4464465619ee5.jpg

May 12 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

I find a way to get my models to smile if the shot calls for it. Can't be serious all the time smile

May 12 06 03:43 am Link

Model

Becky Johnson

1, 2, 3 laugh! haha mike smile

May 12 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

becky j wrote:
1, 2, 3 laugh! haha mike smile

Hahah no my secret technique!!!

May 12 06 03:50 am Link

Model

The Elfling

Austin, Indiana, US

Ask any photographer I've worked with.  I'm the Cheshire Cat.

https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060323/22/44237169d89be.jpg

May 14 06 07:56 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Scott Evans wrote:

Finally a question that I also have pondered. Thank god for my "Crest smile" as it has been called numerous times by photographers. It always gives me an upperhand at castings. smile

May 14 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David Birdsong wrote:
The best smiles were actually more of a laughter type smile, and were more candid in nature, which really worked well.

Of course..they call it that "ha ha" model laugh that you have to do when asked to give a smile. I've mastered it down to such an art that I don't even feel silly doing it anymore.   smile

May 14 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

https://myspace-056.vo.llnwd.net/00675/65/09/675299056_l.jpg
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/mad_city_star/img_7972.jpg

i always smile.

May 14 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Mary-Nichole

Inverness, Alabama, US

I LOVE TO SMILE!!!  smile  pple tell me i do it way to much....

May 15 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

New York, New York, US

i have a much easier time smiling for a photo if the photographer says something absurd and makes me laugh!! ^_^

May 15 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I want so much more than smiles..

Show me a model who can smile, look sexy... And then..

Show me a model who can cry..  A model who can be angry..  A model who can scream at nothing, show rage..  Show me a model who has a RANGE of emotion..

Show me that in a model, and you'll have a model I can't afford... wink

May 15 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

WG Rowland wrote:
I want so much more than smiles..

Show me a model who can smile, look sexy... And then..

Show me a model who can cry..  A model who can be angry..  A model who can scream at nothing, show rage..  Show me a model who has a RANGE of emotion..

Show me that in a model, and you'll have a model I can't afford... wink

LOL

May 15 06 12:42 pm Link