Forums > General Industry > Belly-Button Rings

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

I used to have my navel pierced, but I closed it in January after 4 months because it kept getting nasty and infected, and it hurt to have sex in certain positions or do heavy lifting.

However, I started modeling in March, and I'm starting to regret closing my piercing.  They do look pretty hot, and they distract the flaws from less-than-perfect abs, such as mine.  I'm very petite, but I don't have perfectly flat, rock-hard abs, and a belly ring would sure distract from it.

My boyfriend is trying to talk me out of getting my belly repierced.  He says it'll make it harder to get modeling jobs because he thinks people look for more of a natural look.

What are your opinions on girls with belly rings?  Would you ever refuse to hire a girl just because she has a navel piercing?

And to those models with belly rings, have you found that it was easier to get more modeling jobs?

May 11 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

If you model nude, the "purists" will simply ask you to remove it. Otherwise I don't see it being a problem.

May 11 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

...and a navel ring won't distract people from looking there, it will make them look at that area more.

May 11 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

_ALMUR_

San Francisco, California, US

i konw i wont get ANY peircings or tattoos becuase i want to leave my body open to all possibilities in modeling, i had my eyebrow peirced but found it harder to get people to think of me seriously, so i took it out. i dont have anything but my ears done... once. i would think about what type of model do you want to be and see if it might conflict with your peircing. but the belly buttom isnt on your face, so it might be more acceptable. and true, you could just take it out for a shoot, but what if it gets infected or closes again?

May 11 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dyer McLoughlin Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

It actually DOES distract from a not so perfect stomach. I have one and its somewhat dangly and it makes your stomach look better. Weird I know!

May 11 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
If you model nude, the "purists" will simply ask you to remove it. Otherwise I don't see it being a problem.

I plan on becoming a junior high history teacher, so nude modeling in my background=bad.

May 11 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

As a photographer, I strongly prefer my models to be natural, without piercings at all.  At best, they are distracting.  Typically, I feel that body piercings are self-mutulation in pursuit of vanity.  So, if you get one, get one that can be removed for modeling.  Or, don't be surprised if having one limits your modeling opportunities.

(Yes, I know it's personal choice & personal tastes.  I'm just saying that I would rather not photograph piercings.)

May 11 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Alexandria M. wrote:
i would think about what type of model do you want to be and see if it might conflict with your peircing.

I was thinking of going into music videos, men's magazines, car magazines.  You know, eye candy/swimsuit/lingerie kind of stuff.  I also want to go into commercials and advertising too, so I don't think a navel piercing would affect anything.

May 11 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
...and a navel ring won't distract people from looking there, it will make them look at that area more.

Ding ding ding...if a models abs aren't perfect I tend to focus on their better features...unless they've got a big sparkly thing screaming "LOOK HERE! LOOK HERE!" hanging from their bellybutton

By the way...high school administrators tend to frown upon teachers who've been in men's magazines too...probably not the best route to go.

May 11 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Ding ding ding...if a models abs aren't perfect I tend to focus on their better features...unless they've got a big sparkly thing screaming "LOOK HERE! LOOK HERE!" hanging from their bellybutton

By the way...high school administrators tend to frown upon teachers who've been in men's magazines too...probably not the best route to go.

They aren't "hot for teacher" lol.

May 11 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Totally separate from the modeling issue, if your body couldn't recover from the first piercing, the second could be even worse.  I used to have a navel ring, and my body rejected it (just grew it out).  I was going to have it redone, and was told at the shop that no ethical piercer would redo it, because once your body says "no," that's it.

I'm not a piercer, just relaying what I heard.  Might look into that - it doesn't sound like it was much fun the first time around.  Is having your life so restricted really worth it?

May 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Lidia M wrote:

I plan on becoming a junior high history teacher, so nude modeling in my background=bad.

and doesn't it show how tweaked america's views are that a fine art nude picture (which generally aren't trying to sell sex) in your background is bad but grinding up against a rapper or sprawling across a car in a bikini (which is definitely selling sex) is considered OK.
I mean I like looking at all of it, I just find the rationalization more perverse...lol
c'est la fotographie

May 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hi

From a model's perspective, I've not found that having a piercing, whether it's belly button or other body part, has any effect on work.  I state on my profile that all piercings can be removed at photographer's request.  I have no problem with that at all.  The only time I've had my belly button piercing removed was when I was paid to do an old fashioned shoot.

For myself, I find a pierced belly button very attractive, even more so on toned abs.  If you are not proud of your abs, why draw attention to that area with jewelry?  Personally, looking at your photos, I don't see any flaws with your stomach.  You look great!!!  Good luck with both your modeling and educational career.

MC

May 11 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I agree with maria, don't be so hard on those perceived flaws (they're not) and good luck

May 11 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Gypsy Doll

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Lidia M wrote:
I used to have my navel pierced, but I closed it in January after 4 months because it kept getting nasty and infected, and it hurt to have sex in certain positions or do heavy lifting.

However, I started modeling in March, and I'm starting to regret closing my piercing.  They do look pretty hot, and they distract the flaws from less-than-perfect abs, such as mine.  I'm very petite, but I don't have perfectly flat, rock-hard abs, and a belly ring would sure distract from it.

My boyfriend is trying to talk me out of getting my belly repierced.  He says it'll make it harder to get modeling jobs because he thinks people look for more of a natural look.

What are your opinions on girls with belly rings?  Would you ever refuse to hire a girl just because she has a navel piercing?

And to those models with belly rings, have you found that it was easier to get more modeling jobs?

If you wish to persue high fashion modelling I would suggest you didnt get repierced. However, that said there are plenty of opportunities out there for models with piercings. I have several including 2 in my lip and my nipple and I have never had a problem finding work out of the mainstream. A navel piercing really shouldnt cause any problems for you.

May 11 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I have my belly button pierced and I have not noticed it hindering any shoots. I keep my jewelry simple and removing it for a shoot for a few hours is no big deal. Even though, I've never even been asked if I could remove it. Some love it and some don't. Just discuss it with the photographer.

Treat it like having your ears pierced...remove the jewelry if it's not appropriate.

May 11 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Maria Cedar wrote:
From a model's perspective, I've not found that having a piercing, whether it's belly button or other body part, has any effect on work.

Umm, how do you know?  For example, I might have chosen not to approach you, knowing that your navel is pierced.  How would you know that I didn't call on you?

May 11 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Wait?  do you want to get a peircing to help your modeling carreer?  Or because you like them?  or because you think it will make you look thinner? 

If your getting it cause you like it it's fine, once they heal they come out easy.  The other reasons are kinda weird...

May 11 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Why did the last one get infected ? I would not get another one until you know that it will not get infected. But I have to tell you..they are very sexy and I love them !! Toe rings look bad ass also !!

Mike

May 11 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

You want to be a teacher or a model?

Do what YOU want.

May 11 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

That Look Photo wrote:
Why did the last one get infected ? I would not get another one until you know that it will not get infected. But I have to tell you..they are very sexy and I love them !! Toe rings look bad ass also !!

Mike

Lol...I have no idea why, but that really really cracked me up...toe rings? Where in the world did that even come from? Lol...and since when is a ring around your toe badass? I think I should lay off the caffeine...that statement shouldn't be this funny to me...

May 11 06 09:07 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

The way I see it.... no one will notice the little extra stomach flab if you forget to suck it in.  They'll just look and think "ooooh look at the pretty belly ring" and seem to ignore the tummy.  At least that's what I do.  But then, I have ADHD, so I'm easily distracted by default.

May 11 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Totally separate from the modeling issue, if your body couldn't recover from the first piercing, the second could be even worse.  I used to have a navel ring, and my body rejected it (just grew it out).  I was going to have it redone, and was told at the shop that no ethical piercer would redo it, because once your body says "no," that's it.

I'm not a piercer, just relaying what I heard.  Might look into that - it doesn't sound like it was much fun the first time around.  Is having your life so restricted really worth it?

I had the piercing done twice before already.  This would/might be the third time.

May 11 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Gypsy Doll wrote:

If you wish to persue high fashion modelling I would suggest you didnt get repierced. However, that said there are plenty of opportunities out there for models with piercings. I have several including 2 in my lip and my nipple and I have never had a problem finding work out of the mainstream. A navel piercing really shouldnt cause any problems for you.

I'm 4'11"... isn't that too short for high fashion?

May 11 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

...Stacy wrote:
Wait?  do you want to get a peircing to help your modeling carreer?  Or because you like them?  or because you think it will make you look thinner? 

If your getting it cause you like it it's fine, once they heal they come out easy.  The other reasons are kinda weird...

Heh... all three smile

May 11 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

That Look Photo wrote:

Mike

It got infected because I was too lazy to disinfect it three times a day.  Come on, I was seventeen.  It was the senioritis!!!

May 11 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Olaf S wrote:
You want to be a teacher or a model?

Do what YOU want.

I want to model UNTIL I become a teacher.  It's just a pay-for-college kind of thing.  Doing sixteen units with a part-time or full-time regular job really takes a toll on your grades.  So modeling during the weekends or summer would still help me get a source of income and at the same time not compromise my grades.

May 11 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I was a teacher for many years i did not do ANYthing photographic with my face in it - but i did a lot of modelling, including fetish, & fine art nudes. I was on the high street in major stores, in posters post cards, art, like nude couples etc NO FACE. 

Then after I didnt want the hours of teaching anymore, I just set my own work and hours, including modelling.

That lovely shot you have a coment on, looking deliberately sexy in the lacy bra would have got me the sack, FYI. So be careful.
And Good Luck!

May 12 06 01:51 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

well, I have a navel piercing and you can hardly see it in any of my swimsuit pics. I've never had anyone ask me to remove it, probably because mine doesn't dangle and have diamonds and all that. But I do't know about those infections and sexual positions. That sounds really unecessary and painful. It really shouldn't be something that you notice.
I got mine when I was 17 also, but I disinfected it so it wouldn't do what you described. U didn't learn after the first time? If you won't take care of your body to avoid infection then don't get it again.

May 12 06 07:51 am Link