Forums > General Industry > References from models ? Yes or No ?

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I was just wondering do any photographers get references from their models they work with for other models to read. So they can prove to other models that they are indeed professional and treat their models with a professional attitude and with respect ?

May 11 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I just refer them to the linked models in my portfolio here.  Though I'm happy to provide a more detailed list, no one has ever asked me to.  I have no idea if anyone actually checks my references, though.  I'm a girl.  We're considered safe by default.

May 11 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

I'm referring more models to other photographers than models referring new models to me sad

May 11 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
I just refer them to the linked models in my portfolio here.  Though I'm happy to provide a more detailed list, no one has ever asked me to.  I have no idea if anyone actually checks my references, though.  I'm a girl.  We're considered safe by default.

Yes thats what I was thinking just referring models to models I have worked with from this site that are in my port.

Yes true being a female photographer does give people the idea of more safety.

May 11 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

RoninGarou wrote:
I'm referring more models to other photographers than models referring new models to me sad

Sorry to hear about that. sad Being a photographer myself I know how you would feel. I would love the models I work with to refer new models to me. Which would be awesome big_smile

May 11 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

I actually get more people to shoot with, from myspace than modeling site yikes
They go, see their friends photos taken by me, add me, leave a comment that they like my "works", and then it only takes some weeks before we shoot together.

May 11 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not me, but if a model comes to me that wants a look I can't provide, I'll give them the names of some photographers that I know and think can help them.

May 11 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Show them stuff you've done.  Tell them what you want to do.  That's all.  If you have to down the references road then there would seem to be a lack of trust somewhere.

May 11 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

Doesn't mean you're reliable about getting prints sent or images posted tho...I've had more reference checks about that than about "Is he psycho"

May 11 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

RoninGarou wrote:
They go, see their friends photos taken by me, add me, leave a comment that they like my "works", and then it only takes some weeks before we shoot together.

Well good to hear you are getting models from somewhere smile

May 11 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

RED Photographic wrote:
Show them stuff you've done.  Tell them what you want to do.  That's all.  If you have to down the references road then there would seem to be a lack of trust somewhere.

Thanks very true. That there would be a lack of trust issue if they want to see references after seeing my work and knowing what I want to acheive from shoots.

May 11 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

SLE Photography wrote:

Doesn't mean you're reliable about getting prints sent or images posted tho...I've had more reference checks about that than about "Is he psycho"

Actually I haven't done any TFP shoots yet only me paying the model in cash shoots. But thanks for that bit of information. It helps.

May 11 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't know why more models don't ask for references before working with a photographer.

What I do -- I ask the models I work with whether I can use them as a reference, and with their permission, I'll give a new-to-me model the reference's e-mail address if they ask for a reference.  I am also open about MM or OMP portfolio numbers, if I know them.  I figure that I treat all models really well, so I'm quite happy if any potential model wants to talk to absolutely any model I've ever worked with, even the ones that didn't "click", because I'm confident that all models leave my sittings feeling respected & appreciated.

May 11 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I don't know why more models don't ask for references before working with a photographer.

What I do -- I ask the models I work with whether I can use them as a reference, and with their permission, I'll give a new-to-me model the reference's e-mail address if they ask for a reference.  I am also open about MM or OMP portfolio numbers, if I know them.  I figure that I treat all models really well, so I'm quite happy if any potential model wants to talk to absolutely any model I've ever worked with, even the ones that didn't "click", because I'm confident that all models leave my sittings feeling respected & appreciated.

It depends. A photographer may not EVER have to give direct references if his pics on MM (or OMP) link to the models that he/she has shot, or they already list them (as I do on both sites) in their profile.

If the model wants to contact them, they are free to do so, and without my knowledge. The good thing about posting names and profile #'s is that people can see the people you've worked with, as well. The list in itself may serve as a great reference.

May 11 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

Laya M

San Francisco, California, US

I wouldn't recommend having a generic reference statement (say posted on your MM, etc.).  It's nice to look at, but I wouldn't accept it as a reference.  You never know who wrote it.  I actually prefer to speak with all references on the phone, at least then you know that its not a man impersonating a female model (or vice-versa, I suppose).
  Also, asking for reference does indicate a lack of trust, but it's nothing personal.  A smart model should be suspicious- checking references is a way of building trust.  If it were your daughter/sister/mother, I'm sure you'd want her to be on her toes.

May 12 06 01:40 am Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

I wouldnt trust references from half the people on here.

How can that damn dog type?

May 12 06 01:44 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

RoninGarou wrote:

i definately didnt want 'work' thru there and took my model page off myspace very quickly!  But yes, references from models are very important and this site makes to easy it get them

;-)

Thanks Tyler!

May 12 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

No, but when I've been asked I've been happy to provide them.

May 12 06 04:29 pm Link

Model

Adria W.

Sacramento, California, US

Tom Sullivan wrote:
I wouldnt trust references from half the people on here.

How can that damn dog type?

Hey. You leave Jack alone tongue

May 12 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

It happens in the agency circle all the time as long as you produce images they can use.

Fred,

May 12 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vatic Perceptions Media

Swanton, Vermont, US

I think its a lot easier living in Vermont.  I have yet to shoot a model that we didnt at least a common acquaintence.  Even if it was just something like "Oh your from XXXX, do you know XXXXX? " and they went to school with the guys brother or something.  Small towns work to your advantage and disadvantage if your not careful.  Overall, I think that modeling community will stick together if you ask someone about another.  You get the best results by doing research by checking to see if they have worked with some people more then once, or had repeat shoots with certain studios and photograhers that frequent them.  Word gets around faster if they arent trustworthy in those circles and the models wont go back.

May 12 06 05:53 pm Link