Forums > General Industry > Long time Paint Shop Pro user -- should I switch?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hi, all.

I'm a long time Paint Shop Pro user -- in fact, I've been using it since its first beta.  Back when it started, Paint Shop Pro was shareware, while Photoshop cost >$700.  Now, the cheaper versions of Photoshop cost about as much as Paint Shop Pro.

It's time for me to upgrade, and I'm considering switching to Photoshop.  The reasons I'm considering switching are as follows:

>>> Photoshop has >90% of the marketplace, so there are lots more
         classes & books & add-ins available for it.

>>> People tell you Photoshop tricks that sound useful, like how to
         delete tattoos.  These techniques are meaningless for PSP.

>>> Photoshop might be easier to use & learn?

The downside is that I'll have a learning curve.  I would consider myself to be almost advanced, but I usually would utilize mostly "intermediate" tools.  I'd use it exclusively for editing my photos.

Any advice or feedback?  Which version of Photoshop should I consider?

May 10 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm a long time Paint Shop Pro user -- in fact, I've been using it since its first beta.  Back when it started, Paint Shop Pro was shareware, while Photoshop cost >$700.  Now, the cheaper versions of Photoshop cost about as much as Paint Shop Pro.

It's time for me to upgrade, and I'm considering switching to Photoshop.  The reasons I'm considering switching are as follows:

>>> Photoshop has >90% of the marketplace, so there are lots more
         classes & books & add-ins available for it.

>>> People tell you Photoshop tricks that sound useful, like how to
         delete tattoos.  These techniques are meaningless for PSP.

>>> Photoshop might be easier to use & learn?

The downside is that I'll have a learning curve.  I would consider myself to be almost advanced, but I usually would utilize mostly "intermediate" tools.  I'd use it exclusively for editing my photos.

Any advice or feedback?  Which version of Photoshop should I consider?

I have both Paint Shop Pro 9.0 and PS Elements 2.0.  Elememts 2.0 is a little more sophisticated in some areas.  I think PSP 9.0 is easier to use, but like you I started with PSP way back.  I'm considering upgrading Elements to the full blown Photoshop CS2, then making a serious effort to learn it.  Books, CD, workshops, whatever it takes.  As a Canon digital SLR owner, I am elegible for a special offer from Adobe to upgrade from Elements to CS@ for $399.00.  That's a serious savings.

May 10 06 06:09 pm Link