Forums > General Industry > Question for Toronto models/photographers...

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know how to really put this, or if anyone will agree with my posting this..

I had a somewhat creepy conversation with a photographer. After the things he said, I knew there was no way I was shooting with him. He would not give me the MM #s of girls he had shot with, so I looked them up. Interesting responses I've gotten from contacting them.. seems he's been asking for a little more than photos.

I am not one to quickly point the finger at someone, but for the sake of other model's safety - this guy needs to be outed. I will be contacting a moderator but for now, if any toronto models or toronto photographers that know of models who have had a recent bad experience.. could you contact me somehow? I know we are not to post people's names/ mm#s on the boards so this makes it hard.

I am trying to not over react here - but I do remember him mentioning that he'd recently done some girls "first shoots" and I'm sure not giving them very good first experience. I'm tired of the sickos out there making it hard for the people who are serious about shooting.

May 10 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hmmm....

I don't know what you could do to protect 'first time' models. How do you reach them? How do they become aware that you have 'outed' this guy.

Seems that basic pre-shoot preparation was all you needed to discover what he was about.

'Outing' him could cause him to disappear and resurface as someone else. It may be best as is, where a careful model can find out about him.

May 10 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This is true.

Actually, I was curious for models who already had bad experiences because it is iffy on if this could involve some matters that the police would be taking into their hands.

Again, like I said I do not want to over react, but it appears some models got to the shooting stage with him, and he wanted to take it much further than that in his home studio.

Well, at least this may draw the attention of some Toronto models and be yet ANOTHER warning to please, please, make sure you know who you're shooting with.

May 10 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Toronto photographers aren't exactly getting good press these days.  sad

I wish there was some sort of mechanism that provided everyone with visibility of who all the creeps and predators are.

May 10 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Avicdar wrote:
Toronto photographers aren't exactly getting good press these days.  sad

I wish there was some sort of mechanism that provided everyone with visibility of who all the creeps and predators are.

Agreed. My shoots had been going all fine & dandy, but recently I've just had a lot of bad requests/experiences.

I owe you an email though... will be coming along shortly smile

May 10 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

DBR_Photography

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Amanda!

I’ve just stopped reading that thread titled “Toronto Photographer charged!‿ story posted on MM.  I think you are taking responsible action to report your suspicions to MM moderators.  However, as you don’t know any of the facts first-hand, I don’t see how you could proceed further.

Advice for photographers:
Don’t work with models under the age of 18 and have proof (a driver’s license)
Have a parent or legal guardian present (at all times) if you can’t follow the above.
Include in your model release a waiver of liability and have three parties sign it
Don’t do ‘nude’ projects with models you’ve never worked with before
Never ever work alone with a model - always have another adult present
Require police background checks for your staff as part of their employment
Insist on models bringing a guest if you’ve never worked with them before
Never book a shoot without a phone call or a face-to-face meeting

Advice for models:
Don’t work with photographers without checking references.   Where no references exist and you still want to work with the photographer meet them before the shoot in a public place to discuss all aspects of the shoot.  This isn’t a bad idea anyway for first time models.  Remember to bring an adult with you. 

To models who are underage:
Find a reputable agency in your city and work with them first before going it alone.  Tell your parents you want to model!  Bring them with you to every shoot!

I think that covers the basics.  I would hope that none of what I’ve said is new news to anyone. 

All the best,

DBR PHOTOGRAPHY

May 10 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Daniel smile

I know what you mean, I can't personally take it further than MM but I think some girls can. Like mentioned before, its easy enough for this guy to get a new MM account, or someone just as creepy to come around.

Ugh, some of the questions he asked me just really set off warning bells and I'm not happy to find out I was very right in my decision to decline a shoot.

I am just so thankful that I've found wonderful photographers on this site (such as yourself), and am not at a loss for talented people to shoot with!

May 10 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Randolvin wrote:
Have a parent or legal guardian present (at all times) if you can’t follow the above.
Include in your model release a waiver of liability and have three parties sign it

Wow.

I have broken every rule you cite.

But, then, I offer to take the model out for a bite after the shoot.

May 10 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

Randolvin wrote:
Hi Amanda!

I’ve just stopped reading that thread titled “Toronto Photographer charged!â€? story posted on MM.  I think you are taking responsible action to report your suspicions to MM moderators.  However, as you don’t know any of the facts first-hand, I don’t see how you could proceed further.

From what I read on Amanda's post, and from what I heard off line she had more then enough first hand knowlege to take it too the mods to get the person in question kicked off.

Randolvin wrote:

I mostly agree with all of the above, with the exception of the liability release. I'm still wavering on that one. I DON'T want to make everyone feel pressured. It can put a crimp on things.. that being said, I do understand the need to CYA these days, sadly.

I have worked with underage models and with the exception of one shoot (where the model's parents knew where the model was at all times) all models have had someone a company them. This is just prudent, but I wonder about it sometimes. If someone decided to go after you, then the person with them might just play ball with them. Realistically to cover this you should tape everything... and have your own assistant with you to coroborate your story.

Randolvin wrote:
Advice for models:
Don’t work with photographers without checking references.   Where no references exist and you still want to work with the photographer meet them before the shoot in a public place to discuss all aspects of the shoot.  This isn’t a bad idea anyway for first time models.  Remember to bring an adult with you. 

To models who are underage:
Find a reputable agency in your city and work with them first before going it alone.  Tell your parents you want to model!  Bring them with you to every shoot!

I think that covers the basics.  I would hope that none of what I’ve said is new news to anyone. 

All the best,

Daniel Reid
DBR PHOTOGRAPHY

Agreed, always check references, talk to the person you will be working with; get as much as possible sorted out before the date. Meet in public, if you are the photographer, bring your portfolio. Always meet before the shoot if you can, again in public, to get a vibe of who you will be working with (this applies to the photographer too). Photographers should be just as willing to act as a reference for the model, as the model should be to act as a reference for the photographer.

May 11 06 11:56 am Link