Forums > General Industry > Gaining Respect

Photographer

yaggy

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, US

I'll be the first one to point out that I'm far from being a pro.

But I've managed to be taken under the wings of some excellent experienced comrades who believe in me and have established some model contacts who are all eager to shoot with me again.

That said, it's been a hellish uphill battle cold-contacting new talent I want to work with that will respond.  Should I rely even more on my photog friends to recommend me to those they know?  I realize the need for a better port, my own website perhaps (almost there... www.yaggyphoto.com), but where else am I lost?  The nibbles I get, I relay my ideas to them, in some detail, and mention how I'm also open to suggestion. Then there's dead silence, too. It seems to be in networking, though, because I've had a few models ignore me, but then they see I've shot a friend of theirs and suddenly I'm getting unsolicited offers.

Everyone is different and operates on their own beliefs, but aside from already having a body of amazing work, i'm in the catch-22 area of needing to amass good material but not having enough now to attract participation.

I bet this is the 10,000th post of this nature, but I'm not much of a forum-goer and didn't see anything up. Please pardon.

Thanks,
Gary H.

May 10 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Gary,

We have been in this position..been and are I should say.....and as some the more seasoned photographers have shared with us......NEXT....move on..

Just frustrating to say the least..wait to you get no shows..then you'l really feel "welcomed" to the art of photography,,,

Nice port btw;-]

May 10 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Garald Todd

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

yaggy wrote:
I'll be the first one to point out that I'm far from being a pro.

But I've managed to be taken under the wings of some excellent experienced comrades who believe in me and have established some model contacts who are all eager to shoot with me again.

That said, it's been a hellish uphill battle cold-contacting new talent I want to work with that will respond.  Should I rely even more on my photog friends to recommend me to those they know?  I realize the need for a better port, my own website perhaps (almost there... www.yaggyphoto.com), but where else am I lost?  The nibbles I get, I relay my ideas to them, in some detail, and mention how I'm also open to suggestion. Then there's dead silence, too. It seems to be in networking, though, because I've had a few models ignore me, but then they see I've shot a friend of theirs and suddenly I'm getting unsolicited offers.

Everyone is different and operates on their own beliefs, but aside from already having a body of amazing work, i'm in the catch-22 area of needing to amass good material but not having enough now to attract participation.

I bet this is the 10,000th post of this nature, but I'm not much of a forum-goer and didn't see anything up. Please pardon.

Thanks,
Gary H.

I've given this advice before and it worked out so I'll give it again:

Pay. Yes, I know it's not the ideal solution, but look at it like this. If you pay top notch talent and get a series of great images, you now have a better leg to stand on when offering TFP/CD services. Think of it as an investment, and then later on even pay for yourself.

You use the pay shoot to show as examples of what you're capable of with good talent, and then just use those great shots to snowball into working with even better talent.

Garald
Archinofsky Gallery
http://www.archinofsky.com

May 10 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Consider why someone would want to work with you.  At least three possibilities come to mind:

1.  Pictures you take are likely to be of the kind and quality to get them additional work.

2.  Pictures you take are of sufficient merit or interest that models would want to have them for their own sake.

3.  The money you offer them is sufficient to induce them to shoot with you even though the first two do not apply.

So, you need at least one of those to be true.

May 10 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Yep...Go the pay route. Hire some seasoned models that are experienced in the type of images you want to shoot.

May 10 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

yaggy

Okay, already I can see this is a good idea, hiring experienced models.  I certainly have no problem with that. But I am a little weary because so far, the good models I've worked with refuse the money, yet the ones I worked with for pay were lousy, mean and just overly a pain to even work with.  Perhaps I've just had a run of bad luck?

May 10 06 11:03 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

Garald Todd wrote:
I've given this advice before and it worked out so I'll give it again:

Pay. Yes, I know it's not the ideal solution, but look at it like this. If you pay top notch talent and get a series of great images, you now have a better leg to stand on when offering TFP/CD services. Think of it as an investment, and then later on even pay for yourself.

You use the pay shoot to show as examples of what you're capable of with good talent, and then just use those great shots to snowball into working with even better talent.

Garald
Archinofsky Gallery
http://www.archinofsky.com

Very good advise....

BTW Yaggy great Port..if I were near to u I would shoot with you..smile

May 10 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

If I might suggest an alternative method, if you have the business and promotion skills - create a situation where the models come to you.

Case in point, I worked out an arrangement with a local radio station to shoot their web site's "hot shots" feature. Local models love it because it's good exposure for them (whether you agree or not, they think so, and that's what counts).

Once I set up the logistics and announced, the emails started coming in. I have a backlog of over 25 models and am doing four to six shoots a week.

It's all trade. I shoot for free, they model for free and the radio station gets the content for free. We all win. And the ribbing I've gotten from other photographer for putting such work into this for free has pretty-much stopped now that they see the models that are demanding to be included. And remember, as the photographer, I own the copyright on all images - I'm *licensing* them to the station for free, but make no mistake, they're *my* images.

Am I a great photographer? Hardly. Is this anything that only I could do? Of course not. Additionally, I've invited other photographers to help. I could never shoot everyone myself, and some models have now worked with multiple project photographers, giving us a varied set in terms of style and look. These are models that some of us would have a very hard time scheduling amongst ourselves, who are now clearing time to shoot with us all.

The best advice I could ever give on this topic:

Find something that models want and put yourself in a position to give it to them.

May 10 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Consider why someone would want to work with you.  At least three possibilities come to mind:

1.  Pictures you take are likely to be of the kind and quality to get them additional work.

2.  Pictures you take are of sufficient merit or interest that models would want to have them for their own sake.

3.  The money you offer them is sufficient to induce them to shoot with you even though the first two do not apply.

So, you need at least one of those to be true.

Exactly...

May 10 06 11:26 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
The best advice I could ever give on this topic:

Find something that models want and put yourself in a position to give it to them.

Excellent business advice!

May 10 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Garald Todd

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

yaggy wrote:
Okay, already I can see this is a good idea, hiring experienced models.  I certainly have no problem with that. But I am a little weary because so far, the good models I've worked with refuse the money, yet the ones I worked with for pay were lousy, mean and just overly a pain to even work with.  Perhaps I've just had a run of bad luck?

Honestly, I've never had anyone refuse money before tongue. I have negotiated a lower fee after the fact when the model requested to use the images in their book, however.

But with your experience with the diva's - That's just bad luck. It also has to do with how you set the shoot up with them. Interview your models before agreeing to pay them. If they say they are "too busy" for a pre-shoot interview, move on.

Seriously, when agreeing to pay for talent, it does you no good if you aren't going to work well with them so you have to find out before you commit to spending money on them.

Pre-shoot interviews won't happen often in the commercial photography world, unless you're meeting them at calls, but when you're shooting for your book, you're looking for talent you connect with, or at the very least, will be easy to work with. This makes the pre-shoot meeting vital.

On commercial shoots, I've let talent go due to "diva'esque" behavior. I'll pay them a portion of their fee and release them from the shoot and contact the agency immediately about it.

Just remember that when you're paying, you're the client.

-G

May 10 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Respect is overrated..

Bribe them with cookies..

May 10 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Respect is overrated..

Bribe them with cookies..

Hmm, never thought of that.  I make a pretty good chocolate chip.... smile

May 10 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Figure out what you want to do, and keep doing it until you get good. Work with models that'd go with your look. If they won't work for free then pay. You're the photographer so it's your vision that you're trying to sell.

May 10 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Is it necessary that the people you shoot always be models?  In order to get models interested in me I have spent a lot of time shooting my friends, my friends' friends, my friends' housemates, my co-workers, you name it.  A lot of those shots are still in my portfolio, and several of them have been the reason that models agree to work with me.  Go figure.  Never underestimate the power of the lowbrow approach.

May 10 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Figure out what you want to do, and keep doing it until you get good. Work with models that'd go with your look. If they won't work for free then pay. You're the photographer so it's your vision that you're trying to sell.

yep totally, you don't get respect by playin' it safe.  you're gonna have to put yourself out there.

May 10 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Is it necessary that the people you shoot always be models?  In order to get models interested in me I have spent a lot of time shooting my friends, my friends' friends, my friends' housemates, my co-workers, you name it.  A lot of those shots are still in my portfolio, and several of them have been the reason that models agree to work with me.  Go figure.  Never underestimate the power of the lowbrow approach.

You have lucky friends.. I hope they know that..

May 10 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

yaggy

wow, a pretty high amount of intelligent responses in only a few hours.  thank you very much.  i should probably utilize these forums.  silly to have overlooked them.

May 10 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Getting your personality out into the open on a place like this is just as important as getting your pictures out..

Goofing off in "Off-Topic" is probably some of the best self-advertising I've ever done.

May 10 06 03:24 pm Link