Forums > General Industry > Make It Easy To Critque

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I see people, over and over again complaining that it is difficult to get people to leave a note and to offer a critique.

I see people, over and over again asking people to navigate to their port to look at their images.

Perhaps the two are related in some way.

I just left a reply in a critique thread where the requester left a hyperlink to the image.

Food for thought.

May 10 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

May 10 06 08:47 am Link

Model

Jared H

I wonder if they would implement some sort of rating system.

Keep it annoymous and quick and easy to enter. I think you would get alot more feedback like that. It is just a question then of how deep you want it to be, just a general out of 10 number? Give like 3 or 4 categories to rate the image based on?

I realise you dont want to clutter the page but I think it could work if done properly.

May 10 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

It's also possible that many, like me, or instance, don't consider ourselves competent to critique someone else's work.

May 10 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Lens N Light wrote:
It's also possible that many, like me, or instance, don't consider ourselves competent to critique someone else's work.

Any body can critique a work.  It's simply a matter of knowing the "rules of photography", viewing how the image relates to those rules, and deciding if the overall impact (feeling you get when viewing the image) of the image can get away with breaking the rules.  Images that follow the rules or have lots of impact rate high.  The only true variable is the impact since that is based entirely on personal taste.  It's not your level of competence that prevents you from critiquing someone else's work.  Judge the work as you do your own.

May 10 06 11:02 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I think, OP, that you were asking if it may be easier to critique someone if they either post the pics in the thread or post a link (nudes).  I say, yes.  I'm much more likely to take the time to look at the images if they're right there in front of me, and I don't have to go digging through a port, then to images, then back to the thread.  Not that I'm the expert everyone wants critiques from, but I do agree with you.

May 10 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

KatieK wrote:
I think, OP, that you were asking if it may be easier to critique someone if they either post the pics in the thread or post a link (nudes).  I say, yes.  I'm much more likely to take the time to look at the images if they're right there in front of me, and I don't have to go digging through a port, then to images, then back to the thread.  Not that I'm the expert everyone wants critiques from, but I do agree with you.

I don't bother to read the critique forum.  As I see someone's avatar, image, or a link in a thread, I open a new tab window, view the images and either leave a note on a picture or leave the scene.  Critiques seem to be either extreme, trash the image or praise the model.  I'm of the school of thought where if you can't see something that moved you in some way, save your fingers and get out of there, otherwise say something.

May 10 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

KLiK Graphics

Spring, Texas, US

Photo.net has a pretty good rating sytem that lets you judge an image on aesthetics and originallity.

Theirs goes from 1-7 although a 1-10 might work well too.

May 10 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

AshGolgotha

San Francisco, California, US

The problem with a rating system of numbers is that it's very hard to give constructive criticism. If you said the "lighting = 7" that doesn't really give much insight on how to improve.

May 10 06 02:52 pm Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

They don't have to post the picture in the thread, but I'm more likely to answer if the person gives a little more details than "look at my portfolio and critique please".
Ask for exactly what you want to know and you'll get some good answers. smile

May 10 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The most important--and most overlooked--part of a critique is the purpose of a photo.

When asking for a critique, it is vital for the critic to know how the photo is to be used.  For example, a photo may be absolutely gorgeous, but it might be detrimental to a commercial model's portfolio.  That which would thrive in FHM would fail in Vogue.  To assume the intention of the critiquee is pure folly.

May 10 06 04:43 pm Link