Forums > General Industry > Harsh critic, or doing what you feel is right?!

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OK, if you just checked out a photographers site, and he/she has one of the most unflattering images of a model on there, do ya tell him/her?

Do you tell the model too?!

Just figured i'd get some feedback on this one, before I do what I feel is "right."

Thanks for your time and opinions.

May 08 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

First, I'm not sure what you saw that makes you feel so compelled to comment. But if you feel you must, do it in a constructive manner. Make suggestions on what could be done different with lighting, camera angles, exposure....whatever, but do it in a way that doesn't insult. Otherwise your just getting into a pissing contest.

BTW, I would guess if the model shot with the photographer, she either already knows about the shot and doesn't know any better or does know better and has just decided to put it behind her....

May 09 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

groupw wrote:
First, I'm not sure what you saw that makes you feel so compelled to comment. But if you feel you must, do it in a constructive manner. Make suggestions on what could be done different with lighting, camera angles, exposure....whatever, but do it in a way that doesn't insult. Otherwise your just getting into a pissing contest.

BTW, I would guess if the model shot with the photographer, she either already knows about the shot and doesn't know any better or does know better and has just decided to put it behind her....

I wouldn't assume ANYTHING, in this case.

Thanks.

May 09 06 02:13 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

i would.. it bothers me when people are jsut suckers and pictures are obviously not good.. (if it's me, kick my butt now..lol)

May 09 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Incident Image

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes Phil, and by the way, I've beenmeaning to tell you...

May 09 06 02:26 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Phil Edelstein wrote:
OK, if you just checked out a photographers site, and he/she has one of the most unflattering images of a model on there, do ya tell him/her?

Do you tell the model too?!

Just figured i'd get some feedback on this one, before I do what I feel is "right."

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Firstly is this going to be unsolicited critique?
If it is..then why?
I can understand if the person asked for comments or critique but if they didnt I am not sure why you want to say anything.

If you are going to say something then do keep it constructive and diplomatic and dont be surprised if the reaction isnt a good one.

Hopefully if you put your thoughts well then the person recieving them will take it for the constructive viewpoint it is coming from and perhaps take it on board.

May 09 06 06:13 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

There is also the whole option of a "sandwich compliment" or something like that.

If you have something negative to say, the BEST way to get good results is to pair it with something good, at least one something, two is the best way to do it, really.

Find your favorite picture in the port, compliment them on it, tell them whats good about it, why you like it, etc. Details are good. Then go to the picture that you think is weakest, and explain why, again, in a constructive way, NOT a destructive way.

Then possibly close again by mentioning the good things again, or say something else good like "the images from the shoot with the tree frog were your strongest set - the colors really pop in those images"

The hardest thing for me to remember when being critical of others is that sometimes they "mean" to do something a certain way. And sometimes its really difficult to tell whats on purpose, whats an oops, and what is someone that hasn't yet expanded their skills to stop being dependant on excuses for their work.

Tricky stuff in the least.

May 09 06 08:28 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

**ahem**

xx shelly xx

May 09 06 08:33 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

If no one asked for your opinion keep it to yourself. No need to screw up someone's day.

May 09 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
If no one asked for your opinion keep it to yourself. No need to screw up someone's day.

Very well said, Claire.

May 09 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

To me, and again this is just one mans opinion, it goes back to a saying I try to live my life by... it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it that counts.

May 09 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

thanks everybody, i truly appreciate your feedback on this matter smile

May 09 06 09:15 am Link