Forums > General Industry > Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I must admit I'm thoroughly perplexed by bondage photography.  I mean, I can pretty much guess what attracts photographers to it but what puzzles my tiny brain is the amount of models drawn to it.  I'd love to hear, from models, what attracts them to bondage projects.

And go!

May 08 06 11:05 pm Link

Model

Vicious Vamp

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I think the biggest reason I'm so drawn to bondage photography is due to the fact that I'm also very active in the BDSM lifestyle in my personal life.  So, since I love to model and I love bondage it just seemed logical for me to do bondage modeling smile

May 08 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I appreciate the answer but it doesn't help me understand a woman's attraction to bondage photography as a concept.  What's in it for a female model to be bound and gagged for art's sake?
Always curious.

May 08 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Theo E wrote:
I appreciate the answer but it doesn't help me understand a woman's attraction to bondage photography as a concept.  What's in it for a female model to be bound and gagged for art's sake?
Always curious.

The beauty is in the submission.

See if you can find some material to read about the art of submission.

May 08 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

AshGolgotha

San Francisco, California, US

Aesthetics are subjective. I'm sure we all shoot/model and involve things we enjoy- if bondage is pleasurable then it's not a far stretch that someone would want photos of it or join in the process of making said photos. The act of bondage/fetish/paraphilia itself being an enjoyable thing is a whole other topic. Things like shibari are an artform in itself.

May 09 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

If you don't like bondage photography why are you trying to understand it..  like if you don't like laying in Ant piles in the desert they why do you care how it feels. Unless you want to know how ants feel when getting layed on.  I guess the questions is do you want to know about bondage ?

May 09 06 12:35 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

The beauty is in the submission.

See if you can find some material to read about the art of submission.

Agreed...giving so much of yourself to someone...putting your trust in someone like that...it's very intimate...bondage photography captures something sacred. I think you'd have to have spent time as a dom or a sub to fully understand it...but even if you don't, I think there's a lot to be said for really impressive knotwork...another thing that appeals to me about bondage photography is the juxtaposition of something as coarse and unrefined as a piece of rope against the smooth skin and soft curves of a woman's body. To me it's both aesthetically pleasing, and it's a beautiful thing on an emotional level to see someone give themself over to someone else (when done correctly of course...bad bondage is just terrible)

May 09 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Theo E wrote:

What's in it for a model to do anything for any type of photo? (1) Pay. (2) They like the bondage per se. (3) Helping to create an image that they, as a viewer, like.

I think (2) is the weakest reason if we're talking about professionals. (Does a model have to like the dress she's wearing in fashion shots? It may help but it shouldn't matter.)

If you want to dig further into why someone might like to look at bondage photos, it doesn't really matter if the viewer is the model, the photographer or some third party.

May 09 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

QuaeVide wrote:

What's in it for a model to do anything for any type of photo? (1) Pay. (2) They like the bondage per se. (3) Helping to create an image that they, as a viewer, like.

I think (2) is the weakest reason if we're talking about professionals. (Does a model have to like the dress she's wearing in fashion shots? It may help but it shouldn't matter.)

If you want to dig further into why someone might like to look at bondage photos, it doesn't really matter if the viewer is the model, the photographer or some third party.

Not sure how to interpret this reply. I can say that I've never tied, cuffed, caged or immobilize anyone that didn't want to be

May 09 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

AshGolgotha

Craig Thomson wrote:
Not sure how to interpret this reply. I can say that I've never tied, cuffed, caged or immobilize anyone that didn't want to be

I'd have to agree. I suppose it's not unfathomable that a model might work bondage for the pay, but it's not likely that someone who doesn't enjoy it would strip naked and endure punishment. There are easier ways to make money and model smile

May 09 06 01:38 am Link

Model

Nicholi

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

latex-fashions wrote:
If you don't like bondage photography why are you trying to understand it..  like if you don't like laying in Ant piles in the desert they why do you care how it feels. Unless you want to know how ants feel when getting layed on.  I guess the questions is do you want to know about bondage ?

methinks people here like to start arguments. i think the way he asked his question made it pretty clear he did want to know, and nowhere did he say he didn't like it.

May 09 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Sure, and I'm certainly not suggestion coercion, but if a person enjoys being tied up there are probably better ways to indulge. I'm also sure that many professional models do bondage with photographers that they wouldn't normally play with, if they weren't being paid. The question is whether a bondage photo shoot is about photography or playing.

But I guess models who do bondage shoots can answer: are you there mainly for work or for play? (Doesn't have to be completely one or the other off-course.)

May 09 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

latex-fashions wrote:

Yeah.  What post did you read?  Can't recall EVER writing anything about not liking it.  I merely wanted to get insight from models posing for it.  Perhaps ye needs a drink!

May 09 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Agreed...giving so much of yourself to someone...putting your trust in someone like that...it's very intimate...bondage photography captures something sacred. I think you'd have to have spent time as a dom or a sub to fully understand it...but even if you don't, I think there's a lot to be said for really impressive knotwork...another thing that appeals to me about bondage photography is the juxtaposition of something as coarse and unrefined as a piece of rope against the smooth skin and soft curves of a woman's body. To me it's both aesthetically pleasing, and it's a beautiful thing on an emotional level to see someone give themself over to someone else (when done correctly of course...bad bondage is just terrible)

Thank you, Kaitlin.  This is what I was fishing for.  You've given me a better understanding of this genre.  I appreciate it.

May 09 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

AshGolgotha wrote:
I suppose it's not unfathomable that a model might work bondage for the pay, but it's not likely that someone who doesn't enjoy it would strip naked and endure punishment.

I wonder in how many bondage shoots the model is actually suffering. I always assume that any rigging is done for safety and comfort as well as aesthetics.

May 09 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

As someone who has photo'ed a number of ladies in bondage I can tell you why some of them enjoy this type of work,  I do ask what they like about the work and most of them will give me answers...

1) It's a relatively easy gig for the model - The model has to emote and has to do some acting in most cases, but there isn't a lot of movement (being tied up takes care of that)

2) It's a chance to do some acting.  Most photographers tell the model exactly what to do from the pose, to the look, to the emotion.  When doing bondage modeling, the models get a chance to act, and be someone else (in this case the character in the scene.)

3) It's a way to roleplay.  Several of the models on my site just enjoy being tied up.  Simple as that.

4) It's usually a paying gig.  At least one of the ladies on my site is in it strictly for the money.  Not that you can tell from her photos as she's terrific, but if she wasn't getting paid, she wouldn't be doing it.

Hope that clears up some of this.

May 09 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Johnson

Sumner, Washington, US

For me I was drawn to the ropework
and the paterns of knots against the body
also the extreme nature of the sets or situations
I found much more interesting as a subject
Ive also shot a lot of bodage outdoors
and find the contrast and unexpected nature of the
images to be very striking

as for the models
a lot of them want to push themselves
into sub space or to see what they can take
or its easier than posing since their movements are so
restricted and their expressions are limited
and yes a lot of them are into the scene
and get a real rush from the scenes
or find it pleasuarable to be tied to a machine
and be totally objectified

Ive had the chance to work with Lew Reubens
and Maria Shadows for 5 years
who are tops in the field of bondage
and have a new web site in the works
htp://boundtoloveit.com
and am now shooting for Gord at htp://houseofgord.com
which is also a unique and amazing site
check them out

May 09 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've had models do it for the love of the genre,  for the artistic expression, for something edgy in their port,  or just to see if they can do it.   Like a lot of things modeling/photography is both business and artistic.  Their are people who do things simply and solely for the financial return and then there are those who do it for pure art.

To ask why some models do it, will garner just that;why SOME of them do it.  I shoot it for the love I have for the lifestyle,  for the desire to bring forth a sexier side of it and to do my part to erase some of the stigma surrounding it.   Most of my fetish work is on www.indigoblaque.com

Darque

May 09 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Moraxian wrote:
As someone who has photo'ed a number of ladies in bondage I can tell you why some of them enjoy this type of work,  I do ask what they like about the work and most of them will give me answers...

1) It's a relatively easy gig for the model - The model has to emote and has to do some acting in most cases, but there isn't a lot of movement (being tied up takes care of that)

2) It's a chance to do some acting.  Most photographers tell the model exactly what to do from the pose, to the look, to the emotion.  When doing bondage modeling, the models get a chance to act, and be someone else (in this case the character in the scene.)

3) It's a way to roleplay.  Several of the models on my site just enjoy being tied up.  Simple as that.

4) It's usually a paying gig.  At least one of the ladies on my site is in it strictly for the money.  Not that you can tell from her photos as she's terrific, but if she wasn't getting paid, she wouldn't be doing it.

Hope that clears up some of this.

Yeah, like he said!

Photographers practical side: rope is cheap, the setting can be very simple, and it sells very well.

Photographers personal side: I enjoy binding  women always have, always will.

Paul

May 09 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

QuaeVide wrote:

I wonder in how many bondage shoots the model is actually suffering. I always assume that any rigging is done for safety and comfort as well as aesthetics.

"Suffering" is a very relative term when you're dealing with bondage/fetish.

May 09 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

I asked one model why she enjoyed it and she said it was a challenge. Strict bondage can take alot of self control and flexibility. And sometimes they do "suffer". Safety is always paramount, but sometimes being suspended can take its toll on bodyparts, or having a gag in your mouth can hurt your jaw, not to mention make you drool! Everyone does it for different reasons. Thats like asking why anyone is into BDSM at all. No one can give you one right answer
                                                                          Lexi

May 09 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks, Lexi.
A lot of what you wrote makes sense to me.  You also shined a light on the practical side of certain things.  Good answer. 
I understand there is no universal answer.  I was hoping to gain a little insight into this genre and, am very happy to say, you all have been very forthcoming with answers.  I appreciate it.
Nicely done... most of you!

May 09 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

If you can dream it up, someone has made a fetish out of it. For example, theres a balloon fetish. Just found out about that one today. Apparently some people just LOVE balloons.
Yeah.

Anyway, I enjoy bondage on a level outside of photography. So if someone wants to take pictures of it, then more to them. I don't know that I have ever gotten paid seriously for any of my bondage photographs. If I could, I probably would though. Oh, wait, there was a minor shoot with some bondage in it... never mind.

I enjoy the sensuality (did I spell that right??) of it. For me, being in bondage is comfortable, I know right where I am supposed to be. There, and nowhere else. My mind is nice and quite when I'm all wrapped up.

I think bondage photos can be some of the most beautiful photos. The lines laying along the body can really accent and draw your eye around far better than a naked form. Not to mention that if tied carefully enough, the ropes can leave beautiful marks in the skin afterwards.

Its just fun, why else... smile

May 09 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Theo E wrote:
I must admit I'm thoroughly perplexed by bondage photography.  I mean, I can pretty much guess what attracts photographers to it but what puzzles my tiny brain is the amount of models drawn to it.  I'd love to hear, from models, what attracts them to bondage projects.

And go!

It's a big trun on, for some people to be tied, or to tie.

May 09 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

I think there would be far less interest in bondage on the part of the models if it wasn't for the artistry of the bonds themselves. If it were just a bunch of random rope and knots, there would be no art to it. I believe they are looking, at least in part, at an artistic expression that is unique and their addition to that type of art form. In general, the symmetry, knot geometry, overall bond complexity, and the many variations in bonding and model positions in bonding is amazing and shows great creativity, imagination and extended effort required for the setups. Many of the positions of the models would have no meaning if it were not for the bonds, so they also get to assume non-standard poses.

May 09 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

AshGolgotha

I think something should also be said about the different types of bondage shoots and knot work. Some of it is elegant and some of it is intensely domineering. It was mentioned above that suffering is really not something you can easily define in BDSM. There are simple wrist knots to full body suspension and even those tend to vary from shoot to shoot. Some sessions are just posed for a photographer and some are just documentation of an entire play session. I once saw a shoot with Kumi (MM# 3707) where she was suspended but with enough mobility to swing around and leverage herself (like a bona fide gymnast) to make creative poses. I can say that was unlike a lot of the other shoots I've experienced- it's safe to say bondage is as varied as any other field of photography.

Back to the original question. The models I've done bondage shoots with have all been interested in it with the exception of one. Usually it was either the knotwork or the sexual factors involved. Those that had never done bondage before but opted to do a shoot with me in the subject were interested but never had an experienced person to try it with. And the one that wasn't interested in it? She said she did it for her boyfriend because everyone else thought it was hot.

May 09 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

QuaeVide wrote:

In my shoots, the bondage is done with safety and comfort first, then for the theme of the shoot.  If the model becomes uncomfy in a scene or wants to stop, we stop.  Simple enough.

All models have limits, and it is up to the photographer/rigger/producer to respect them... and they must.  If they don't, word does get around.

May 09 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

NC17 wrote:
If you can dream it up, someone has made a fetish out of it. For example, theres a balloon fetish. Just found out about that one today. Apparently some people just LOVE balloons.
Yeah.

Anyway, I enjoy bondage on a level outside of photography. So if someone wants to take pictures of it, then more to them. I don't know that I have ever gotten paid seriously for any of my bondage photographs. If I could, I probably would though. Oh, wait, there was a minor shoot with some bondage in it... never mind.

I enjoy the sensuality (did I spell that right??) of it. For me, being in bondage is comfortable, I know right where I am supposed to be. There, and nowhere else. My mind is nice and quite when I'm all wrapped up.

I think bondage photos can be some of the most beautiful photos. The lines laying along the body can really accent and draw your eye around far better than a naked form. Not to mention that if tied carefully enough, the ropes can leave beautiful marks in the skin afterwards.

Its just fun, why else... smile

well spoken.

May 09 06 08:04 pm Link