Forums > General Industry > my turn to rant

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm going to be a go-go dancer at a special event at a club and I did a shoot for the promo (club flier). They didn't have the contract ready at the time of the shoot. I was told that I would get a CD of proofs, not any retouched. The party planner calls me a week later ranting that I need to come up there to sign the release so that they can print the fliers. Meanwhile the photographer is now saying if I want a CD of the proofs it will be $50 o.O  So, I'm like I will sign the release when I get my CD (as promised) free of charge. They agree and I meet and sign the release and am handed a CD. Here's the good part: when I get home and pop in the CD it's blank.

May 08 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Fuckers..

Does the release say you'd get a CD of shots?  I hope so.. That was a dick thing to do.. (Them, not you).. And I'm hoping they shot themselves in the foot by giving you some legal ammunition..

May 08 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Do you have any reason, now, to do the dancing gig?

May 08 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

It seems so goofy for them to deliberately shaft you at this point, since you  haven't danced yet, that I'm wondering if the blank CD could have been an honest mistake.  Have you talked to them about it yet?

May 08 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Just to be on the safe side, did you try the disk in other computers?  Occasionally I will burn a disk and the program uses some UDF funtion and then the disk will work on other computers but if I don't use it they won't.  You may want to check this out first.

May 08 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
I'm going to be a go-go dancer at a special event at a club and I did a shoot for the promo (club flier). They didn't have the contract ready at the time of the shoot. I was told that I would get a CD of proofs, not any retouched. The party planner calls me a week later ranting that I need to come up there to sign the release so that they can print the fliers. Meanwhile the photographer is now saying if I want a CD of the proofs it will be $50 o.O  So, I'm like I will sign the release when I get my CD (as promised) free of charge. They agree and I meet and sign the release and am handed a CD. Here's the good part: when I get home and pop in the CD it's blank.

WOW! That sucks!  Have some one carefully read over the contract you signed.
Hope you won't have to be obligated to this event. By the way, with your looks, you
don't need them (club scumbags) anyway! Best of luck!

May 08 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Sorry that happened, Adrienne.  Only suggestions:  Either (a) string them along until you get a proper CD, then have no further dealings with them, or (b) have no further dealings with them.

May 08 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Maybe the image files are in a format your computer will not recognize without the proper program to see them.

May 08 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Fuckers..

Does the release say you'd get a CD of shots?  I hope so.. That was a dick thing to do.. (Them, not you).. And I'm hoping they shot themselves in the foot by giving you some legal ammunition..

No, just the usual they have the rights to use my image blah blah.

May 08 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:
Do you have any reason, now, to do the dancing gig?

I don't get paid til I dance.

May 08 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shyly wrote:
It seems so goofy for them to deliberately shaft you at this point, since you  haven't danced yet, that I'm wondering if the blank CD could have been an honest mistake.  Have you talked to them about it yet?

No, cause I'm just so pissed. I can't stand the photog- but I know it doesn't really have anything to do with the party planner, so I shouldn't go bitch at her.
But the club paid the photog, so she shouldn't be trying to get money from me too.

May 08 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:

Sorry that happened, Adrienne.  Only suggestions:  Either (a) string them along until you get a proper CD, then have no further dealings with them, or (b) have no further dealings with them.

Yeah, I don't plan on having anything to do with them after I get paid at the event.
I'm thinking now I need to ask for cash not a check!!

May 08 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

No, cause I'm just so pissed. I can't stand the photog- but I know it doesn't really have anything to do with the party planner, so I shouldn't go bitch at her.
But the club paid the photog, so she shouldn't be trying to get money from me too.

Is it possible they told you one thing and then told the photographer something else? Maybe they told her that she could sell the CD and told you that you'd get one as part of your payment. It *may* not be completely the photographer's fault. Just something else to consider.
  But really; why these people choose to treat you like crap I'll never know. I agree with a previous poster -- it is their loss to be sure.

-P-

May 08 06 01:45 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Maybe the image files are in a format your computer will not recognize without the proper program to see them.

That's happened to me before though and my comp shows an error or says something about not recognizing the files.

May 08 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

That totally sucks...kinda makes you not want to even do the event...but I feel  you on wanting to get paid for at least some of your trouble! Maybe sit down with the photographer as well as the planner and see where the miscommunication lies...like someone said the planner could be telling you one thing and the photographer another!

I know its in our nature to jump to conclusions (I know I would have in your same situation) but breathe and see if its all a misunderstanding and then when you find out its not and they are just being dicks...then you get revenge! LOL! Just kidding, but seriously see if you can take legal action in the matter if you feel its worth it!

But honestly its really their loss you are stunning and you really dont need to be dancing for those ignorant fools anyways!

May 08 06 01:53 pm Link