Forums > General Industry > places in Houston??? to shoot, hangout, etc. ....

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I just moved to houston and really do not know the area, was not sure to post this here or travel, so does anyone have any input on places i should visit, any cool places to shoot? etc. etc.?

May 08 06 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Welcome! I'm in Beaumont, 90 minutes away (i.e., closer than most places in Houston).

First, your Houston survival kit:
- Mosquito repellant
- Air conditioning
- Shiner Bock
- Zummo Party-Time Links (sausage made here in Beaumont)
- TexJoy steak seasoning (again, a Beaumont company)
- Stuff to get "love bug" guts off the front of your car. You'll thank me in a few weeks.
- AM 740 KTRH, the local news/talk/traffic station. Good weekend shows about home ownership down here, you'd be surprised about the differences in construction and maintenance. Just don't take anything Kim Commando (computer geek) has to say without a grain of salt.
- Learn how to eat crawfish, they are in season now. Just tell yourself they are wee lobsters.

Things to do:
- Galveston. Visit the Seawall and the Strand. I'm shooting there in a few weeks.
- Kemah. It's all commercially-owned (unlike, say, the Farmer's Market in San Francisco), but still can be fun, especially if you have kids.
- Texas Renaissance Festival near Conroe. Seasonal weekend fun in October/November. Camp only if you don't actually intend to sleep much, the crowd is good-natured but a bit rowdy outside the "family" camping area.
- Austin is a nice place to see as well, make a nice weekend trip. San Antonio is ok, but the Riverwalk gets a little boring after you've seen it a dozen times.
- Katy Mills Mall. Leave breadcrumbs to your car, you'll need them to find it again.
- Galleria. The ice skating is overrated.
- Montrose District. Some great food, antique shoppes, and an unnerving concentration of tatoo parlors.

May 09 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
- Mosquito repellant

AGREEEEED

May 09 06 02:20 am Link

Model

Jinxy

Houston, Alaska, US

I personally think there are some great places to shoot in the warehouse district, right outside of downtown.  There are a lot of old, rundown buildings in that area. 

Also, as far as where to hangout, I'm not really sure what you're into, (here comes some shameless promotion, heh) but I DJ at a club called Bone Church every Friday night.  It's in the Montrose area...close to everything.  Here's our website:  http://www.bonechurchnightclub.com

Shelli

May 09 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Welcome to Houston, and it all will depend on what you like etc. give me a buzz and I can recomend a few places (I hate typing  lol) I am thinking I may head to the ZOO this week and shoot some wild life just for fun (at least they won't flake out!  lol  you can call just about any time day or nite, just not too early as I may be still sleeping and may not hear the phone  lol

XP

May 09 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Mesmeric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
- Mosquito repellant

Weird.  I lived in Houston for 3 years and never had a problem with skeeters.  Oh wait, you need to be warm-blooded to attract bugs, right?
Never mind.

I think downtown is filled with a ton of great places to shoot.  Very diverse.  Rice Village is worth a peek too.  And I'd hit the Rail Yard off 45 north of town.

May 09 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Great, now I have the Gatlin brothers song in my head!

May 09 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

thank you everyone, I will take all this into my brain and check out what I can when i can, hehe

May 13 06 06:25 am Link