Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Harmful Chemicals in Makeup

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Are there any ingredients that one should watch out for when shopping for makeup? I've heard about titanium dioxide, but are there any others?

May 07 06 11:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Christina Ilise wrote:
Are there any ingredients that one should watch out for when shopping for makeup? I've heard about titanium dioxide, but are there any others?

There is nothing wrong with Titanium Dioxide and it should be in your daily makeup (sunscreen will help protect your skin on a daily basis)  for print  titanium dioxide is not good, for video or tv it's fine.

Titanium Dioxide is a helpful ingrediant.  Just not good for print.  There are no known harmfull ingrediants in makeup on the market, nothing more harmful than what you find in your environment every day.  all the ingrediants have been tested  and approved as safe.  Every now and then we get a media hype story like cetain dyes etc...same with food, remember the  Alar (sp?) scare where people were afraid to eat apples?  Media blows these things out of proportion because if you dont have news, make some.   ANYWAY..... I would be more concerned about what I put in my body then on my skin.  I'm sure plain old white sugar has killed way more people then blush smile

May 08 06 09:51 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Mary wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Titanium Dioxide and it should be in your daily makeup (sunscreen will help protect your skin on a daily basis)  for print  titanium dioxide is not good, for video or tv it's fine.

Titanium Dioxide is a helpful ingrediant.  Just not good for print.  There are no known harmfull ingrediants in makeup on the market, nothing more harmful than what you find in your environment every day.  all the ingrediants have been tested  and approved as safe.  Every now and then we get a media hype story like cetain dyes etc...same with food, remember the  Alar (sp?) scare where people were afraid to eat apples?  Media blows these things out of proportion because if you dont have news, make some.   ANYWAY..... I would be more concerned about what I put in my body then on my skin.  I'm sure plain old white sugar has killed way more people then blush smile

Thanks. I try to use natural products when possible and the only natural makeup I know of is bare minerals, which just doesn't cut it. By harmful I only meant bad for the skin, not deadly.

May 08 06 09:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sevans

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think you should take mary's post as her saying deadly.  But think about it, if an ingrediant was "bad" for your skin it would not be cleared for use in cosmetics. The government does govern the cosmetic industry, and chemists have worked many years developing products that are safe for use on the human skin in general.  If you have a reaction to something it is because YOU have a sensitivity to that ingredient.  Everyone's skin  is different.  I have reactions to most "all natural" makeup they tend to be too "active" for me, so go figure.  My skin likes the synthetic ingredients better.

May 09 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Titanium Dioxide isn't bad for your skin. It's a whitener that gives you a white glow under photo strobes, so you look like you used the wrong shade foundation... or not enough make-up.

Christina Ilise wrote:
Thanks. I try to use natural products when possible and the only natural makeup I know of is bare minerals, which just doesn't cut it. By harmful I only meant bad for the skin, not deadly.

May 09 06 12:53 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Just because something is "natural"... doesn't mean it's good for you either.

Good to find a balance.

Titanium Dioxide is just a mineral that is used as white pigment. It's in everything, probably even in your body wash... even shampoo. And in your sunscreen. And your face cream... mostly white or light products. You name it, it's probably in it. Won't hurt you. But pretty scary when photographed... when high on the ingredient list.

Always watch out for minerals in general for photo makeup.

May 09 06 01:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Mariah Nicole

I only use mineral makeup that is 90% zinc oxide and titanium oxide. I have fabulous success with it on film, video, print and everyday. There are no chemical dyes, perfumes or preservatives in it, and it is meant to be used for custom-blending colors.
I would beware of using dyes and preservatives that have "propylene" as a prefix. The FDA does make sure products are "safe" but they also approve many things which are not. It is a matter of what is necessary and what is over the top?
I can tell you that any makeup that is longlasting, I'd be careful of how much I use and where.

May 09 06 04:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indiscretion

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
Titanium Dioxide isn't bad for your skin. It's a whitener that gives you a white glow under photo strobes, so you look like you used the wrong shade foundation... or not enough make-up.

If titanium dioxide isn't good for print, what makeup is?

May 09 06 05:03 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indiscretion

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

oops, excuse the double post, darned slow internet connection....

May 09 06 05:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Mariah Nicole wrote:
I only use mineral makeup that is 90% zinc oxide and titanium oxide. I have fabulous success with it on film, video, print and everyday. There are no chemical dyes, perfumes or preservatives in it, and it is meant to be used for custom-blending colors.
I would beware of using dyes and preservatives that have "propylene" as a prefix. The FDA does make sure products are "safe" but they also approve many things which are not. It is a matter of what is necessary and what is over the top?
I can tell you that any makeup that is longlasting, I'd be careful of how much I use and where.

so what would a product be that would be approved and not safe?  just an example

May 09 06 09:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

sorry, double post

May 09 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Are you sure you don't mean aluminum dioxide? Commonly used in cosmetics, toothpaste, deodorants, etc..
In theory it has been linked to Alzheimer's disease.

May 09 06 11:20 pm Link

Model

Renee Hyde

New York, New York, US

Most make-up on the market is filled with bad stuff. To be certain, take all the ingredients on the package and look each one up. You'd be amazed at what you find out. The FDA is a joke. They don't care about your health or safety. It's about money and if they kill you while they take your money, so be it. Many people are turning to minerals and "organic" make-up.

Models though, not sure if the organic stuff is photoshoot worthy. Some think the minerla make-up is just as good, but others disagree. I refuse to pay more for the organic make-up and keep using my wonderful FDA approved stuff.

If something says "natural", it's not a sure thing.

I once bumped into a story about a model that over the years of being exposed to all the make-up, and all the stuff we put in our hair to style, etc, etc, that her child was born with defects and they linked it back to all those things.

That's my 2 cents, but I would suggest researching whatever product you are about to use if you are concerned about it.

May 09 06 11:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Envy wrote:
Are you sure you don't mean aluminum dioxide? Commonly used in cosmetics, toothpaste, deodorants, etc..
In theory it has been linked to Alzheimer's disease.

The ingrediant I refer to is Titanium Dioxide, its safe.   Also, you will not find any ingrediant currently in any cosmetics sold in the USA that has a positive link to any disorder or disease.   If you can find this, someone needs to post a link to  the study.  When  a positive link  is found the product is pulled from the market.

Most ingrediants in common cosmetics havent changed much over the years so finding a positive link would suprise me however we hear rumors all the time about common stuff in our environment that has a link to this or that disease, every week it seems something new pops up....   What really makes me scratch my head is that  many people that  spread these scares either smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol or have some other PROVEN detrimental to your health habit.   If something is going to shorten your life other than an accident,  I'm putting my money on...Smoking, obesity/eating disorders, alcohol or drug use.    No point looking for little pot holes when youre living in a sink hole

May 09 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mary wrote:

The ingrediant I refer to is Titanium Dioxide, its safe.   Also, you will not find any ingrediant currently in any cosmetics sold in the USA that has a positive link to any disorder or disease.   If you can find this, someone needs to post a link to  the study.  When  a positive link  is found the product is pulled from the market.

Most ingrediants in common cosmetics havent changed much over the years so finding a positive link would suprise me however we hear rumors all the time about common stuff in our environment that has a link to this or that disease, every week it seems something new pops up....   What really makes me scratch my head is that  many people that  spread these scares either smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol or have some other PROVEN detrimental to your health habit.   If something is going to shorten your life other than an accident,  I'm putting my money...Smoking, obesity/eating disorders, alcohol or drug use.

My question wasn't directed at you Mary, but the OP. I was curious if she had the two confused as to which was "harmful".

There is very little information on the effects of aluminum dioxide. Which is why I stated it was a theory. People have tried to link it to Alzheimer's disease.

Here's the most credible information I've found online : http://www.webmd.com/content/article/71/81385.htm

May 09 06 11:39 pm Link

Model

Renee Hyde

New York, New York, US

I smoke cigarettes and it's probably going to kill me before any of this stuff does, but like my mother tries to argue with me, why have everything unhealthy? She keeps trying to convince me to go organic and believes that people who do smoke and such are even more at risk for health problems and should do everything they can. But that's her, and in reality I really don't do much of anything to help myself.

I looked at one of my eye shadows and the first ingredient listed is Talc. Ya, good old talc. This is what I found out about it.... http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/ … s/talc.htm

Sounds kind of bad. Just like I can't quit smoking, I should probably keep using it anyway. I'm damned, right?

Mary wrote:

Most ingrediants in common cosmetics havent changed much over the years so finding a positive link would suprise me however we hear rumors all the time about common stuff in our environment that has a link to this or that disease, every week it seems something new pops up....   What really makes me scratch my head is that  many people that  spread these scares either smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol or have some other PROVEN detrimental to your health habit.   If something is going to shorten your life other than an accident,  I'm putting my money on...Smoking, obesity/eating disorders, alcohol or drug use.    No point looking for little pot holes when youre living in a sink hole

May 09 06 11:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Renee J wrote:
I smoke cigarettes and it's probably going to kill me before any of this stuff does, but like my mother tries to argue with me, why have everything unhealthy? She keeps trying to convince me to go organic and believes that people who do smoke and such are even more at risk for health problems and should do everything they can. But that's her, and in reality I really don't do much of anything to help myself.

I looked at one of my eye shadows and the first ingredient listed is Talc. Ya, good old talc. This is what I found out about it.... http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/ … s/talc.htm

Sounds kind of bad. Just like I can't quit smoking, I should probably keep using it anyway. I'm damned, right?

this is exactly what I am talking about.  Who wrote that?  its a compilation of data over 10 years old....snippets pulled from studies to weigh heavy on only one side.  Its  just as easy to find the current data on talc, the ...what we now about cosmetic grade talc...     Contrary to popular belief I don't believe the goverment is out to kill us. We do a pretty good job of that ourselves  smile   (see links below)

And if you smoke  chances are good that you wont live long enough to worry about the effects of the talc in your makeup.  There is NO QUESTION that smoking leads to cancer!

http://www.luzenac.com/health_safety.htm

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profi … 14807-96-6

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/qandatemp.php?id=Q29

May 10 06 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

oh and this reminds me of a funny thing that happened back during the firestorm here in San Diego.....   I recall this woman going on and on about her asthma and how she was going to "DIE FROM ALL THAT SMOKE"   she was smoking a Marlboro as she was complaining about the smoke from the fires.....  I just shook my head... No sympathy from me, sorry

oh and nobody look at me like I'm unsympathetic PLEEEEEEASE...I smoked for 14 years (2 packs a day) and quit, I havent had a cigarette in  about 15 years now.

May 10 06 12:17 am Link

Model

Renee Hyde

New York, New York, US

Seeing as Luzenac is a huge company, would they really ever say anything negative about it?

Or Magnesium Stearate... sounds questionable as well.

How many years did the cigarette companies lie to people about the safety of their product? How long did it take them to come clean about it? There's no question NOW that it is bad, but it took them long enough to get to that point.

What about how eggs are suppose to be unhealthy and they went back and forth saying it was the yoke, then it was the whites.

They aren't out to kill us exactly, they are out to make money and money speaks louder than health.

What is safe today is not always safe tomorrow. I still think caution isn't a bad idea. And yes, I am free to do as I want because I already have a nail in my coffin with the smoking, and eye shadow is the least of my concerns, but maybe not for the girl who started this post. Ain't life grand.

Mary wrote:

this is exactly what I am talking about.  Who wrote that?  its a compilation of data over 10 years old....snippets pulled from studies to weigh heavy on only one side.  Its  just as easy to find the current data on talc, the ...what we now about cosmetic grade talc...     Contrary to popular belief I don't believe the goverment is out to kill us. We do a pretty good job of that ourselves  smile   (see links below)

And if you smoke  chances are good that you wont live long enough to worry about the effects of the talc in your makeup.  There is NO QUESTION that smoking leads to cancer!

http://www.luzenac.com/health_safety.htm

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profi … 14807-96-6

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/qandatemp.php?id=Q29

May 10 06 12:52 am Link

Model

Renee Hyde

New York, New York, US

I too had a funny thing happen to me like this. I was 15 and working at Arby's, first and last time I ever worked fast food. A woman pulled up to the drive through and wanted a sandwich with no mayo. I placed her order as she told me. I handed her the food once it was prepared and I bagged it. She opened it and one of the guys on the backline had added the mayo regardless of the request. They screwed up. She chewed me a new one and then tells me she can't have mayo on it, her cholesterol is so high. No sooner am I getting her sandwich the way she ordered it and smiling and being oooh so nice and she lights up a cigarette. I thought to myself, being a smoker even then, "hey lady, you're worried about your cholesterol and here you are smoking ya dumb b*tch".

The thing is now, as easy as it was for my friend to quit smoking after 13 years, there are people who can't. Some are weaker than others.

I know of two people that had cancer, one is dead and smoked to the very end. The other is alive and still smoking even though he has lymphoma. I feel bad about it, and yes I do still have sympathy. If not, I'd turn to them and say "hurry up and die already, you fool". But I don't think that's fair. I know they are trying and I know how hard it is. Maybe they will succeed in quitting, maybe they won't. Either way, I feel for them.

Mary wrote:
oh and this reminds me of a funny thing that happened back during the firestorm here in San Diego.....   I recall this woman going on and on about her asthma and how she was going to "DIE FROM ALL THAT SMOKE"   she was smoking a Marlboro as she was complaining about the smoke from the fires.....  I just shook my head... No sympathy from me, sorry

oh and nobody look at me like I'm unsympathetic PLEEEEEEASE...I smoked for 14 years (2 packs a day) and quit, I havent had a cigarette in  about 15 years now.

May 10 06 01:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

sevans

"Numerous studies have shown a strong link between frequent use of talc in the female genital area and ovarian cancer. "

This is a quote from your article about talc.  Where are you putting that eyeshadow?  smile 
All the article was talking about was baby powder and feminine hygeine powders. Which I have heard to have harmful effects. True or not, imnot sure... But.... that eyeshadow of yours or even a powder has far less talc in the whole package than 1 or 2 applications of baby powder.

May 10 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Renee Hyde

New York, New York, US

Actually.... that sounds kind of exciting. Never thought of it that way. If I ever decide to do spreads..... ya.... that's hot. hahahahaha.

No but in all seriousness, that was just the first ingredient listed on the eye shadow, there are other very questionable ingredients as well. So it's not about just one possibly harmful ingredient, but there are probably others, and although the levels of anything bad in the eye shadow are not going to kill anyone, there's the problem of what's in the lipstick, blush, foundation, lip liner, eye liner, mascara, facial wash, facial cream, toothpaste, leave-in conditioner, hair spray, shampoo, conditioner, shave gel/cream, what we drink, what we eat, etc, etc. If there is a little or a lot of bad in almost every product we use, those small levels of things could add up quickly. It's too much to keep track of, and I'm not into changing my lifestyle as many aren't, but I think it doesn't hurt to be aware.

sevans wrote:
"Numerous studies have shown a strong link between frequent use of talc in the female genital area and ovarian cancer. "

This is a quote from your article about talc.  Where are you putting that eyeshadow?  smile 
All the article was talking about was baby powder and feminine hygeine powders. Which I have heard to have harmful effects. True or not, imnot sure... But.... that eyeshadow of yours or even a powder has far less talc in the whole package than 1 or 2 applications of baby powder.

May 10 06 04:45 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

by "harmful", i'm sure you don't mean deadly or anything (right?). i'm not a pro in the makeup/skin department, but hair wise, there are some hair products out there they my be "harmful" as in it won't kill you or give you variouse illnesses like cancer, diabetes, anemia, pink eye wink , etc... but it will dry your hair out and make it feel like crap smile. and these products are definately FDA approved (think suave, white rain, Vo5, etc...). these products are perfectly safe for your overall health, but because of it's cheap quality and alkaline pH levels, these products open up the cuticles on hair stripping it of it's moisture, nutrients, and any kind of artificial haircolor. ok, well my point is that there probably are ingredients in makeup that may be "harmful" as in they create undesireable effects in skin, but it's likely that if they are FDA approved, it's most definately safe for you overall health. get what i mean? kind of? sort of?

May 10 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Emily Chen wrote:
by "harmful", i'm sure you don't mean deadly or anything (right?). i'm not a pro in the makeup/skin department, but hair wise, there are some hair products out there they my be "harmful" as in it won't kill you or give you variouse illnesses like cancer, diabetes, anemia, pink eye wink , etc... but it will dry your hair out and make it feel like crap smile. and these products are definately FDA approved (think suave, white rain, Vo5, etc...). these products are perfectly safe for your overall health, but because of it's cheap quality and alkaline pH levels, these products open up the cuticles on hair stripping it of it's moisture, nutrients, and any kind of artificial haircolor. ok, well my point is that there probably are ingredients in makeup that may be "harmful" as in they create undesireable effects in skin, but it's likely that if they are FDA approved, it's most definately safe for you overall health. get what i mean? kind of? sort of?

Yeah like I said above, by "harmful" I mean only that it's bad for the skin, not one's general health. I never thought that any kind of makeup would actually kill someone. I just wanted to be aware and avoid products that may have ingredients that are not good for the skin. You can't trust the people at amkeup counter because they just want to make a sale, so I thought I'd ask you all.

May 10 06 07:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Diana Marie

North Valley Stream, New York, US

Titanium Dioxide isnt the problem... Lead is... It is now found in high amounts in high end lipsticks. Heres how to test for it:

Take your lipstick and put a good amount on the back of your hand, take a gold ring... has to be yellow gold... and rub it against the lipstick for about 10 seconds. If the product turns brown or black that means it has lead in it. The more expensive the lipstick the more lead it has. They actually charge you for the lead content!! isnt that stupid? I buy cheap wet & wild lipsticks in all funky colors and custom blend them. Maybelline & L'Oreal, etc. are still great and they have nothing in them... MAC doesnt have any lead in it either... I know for a fact Dior does though!! Be careful!! It causes lead poisoning and can kill you if you're an avid lipstick wearer... shaves off at least 5 years or your life.... I have the email if anyone is interested in reading it, just let me know!

Hope this helps!

May 21 06 05:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Diana Marie wrote:
Titanium Dioxide isnt the problem... Lead is... It is now found in high amounts in high end lipsticks. Heres how to test for it:

Take your lipstick and put a good amount on the back of your hand, take a gold ring... has to be yellow gold... and rub it against the lipstick for about 10 seconds. If the product turns brown or black that means it has lead in it. The more expensive the lipstick the more lead it has. They actually charge you for the lead content!! isnt that stupid? I buy cheap wet & wild lipsticks in all funky colors and custom blend them. Maybelline & L'Oreal, etc. are still great and they have nothing in them... MAC doesnt have any lead in it either... I know for a fact Dior does though!! Be careful!! It causes lead poisoning and can kill you if you're an avid lipstick wearer... shaves off at least 5 years or your life.... I have the email if anyone is interested in reading it, just let me know!

Hope this helps!

I'd like to read it. Thanks

[email protected]

May 21 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Diana Marie wrote:

Hope this helps!

Wow I would like to read it too. [email protected]   Thanks so much.

May 21 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

DISCLAIMER [or bragging, depending on how you look at it...see, two sided to everything]:

I hold degrees in chemistry and biochemistry from top-flight US universities and worked as a formulation chemist for 8+ years, formulating and compounding everything from hair shampoo to car polishes. This is in addition to my regular job in forensics [I see dead people..or what's left of them] anyway END DISCLAIMER

FDA approves components in cosmetics and allows certain chemical compounds or minerals as GRAS [generally regarded as safe]. You can use these in cosmetics and get away without testing. If a component is new, you are required to show [usually through animal testing or the newer cloned tissue tests] that the component does not cause problems.

As for the testing showing cancer links and such, you can prove whatever you want through the improper use of statistics. Scientific research requires funding, funding comes from sources eager to push their agenda. Write the proposal to the agenda, get the money, then "prove" the desired result to get more money.

As for the email about lead in lipstick...I have an email from the prince of Nigeria about getting money out of the county smile Want to trade?

May 21 06 08:56 pm Link