Forums > General Industry > ok so how do you move from doing TFPs to paid work

Model

Melanesia Hunter

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well I've been doing a lot of TFP/TFCD work, and Im doing good on building my portfolio and the experience with different photographers has made me a better model. Now Im ready to start getting paid assignments....so how should I go about that?

May 07 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Melanesia Hunter wrote:
Well I've been doing a lot of TFP/TFCD work, and Im doing good on building my portfolio and the experience with different photographers has made me a better model. Now Im ready to start getting paid assignments....so how should I go about that?

Well, signing with one or more reputable agencies might help you to find work.
The rates would vary depending on the assignments, of course, but worth a try.

Another thing is to look for photographers that are offering paid assignments in the casting calls section here. And see if any of them might be of interest to you.

Welcome to Model mayhem, and I wish you all the best!

May 07 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

What kind of paid work?

Fashion/Commercial? - Atlanta and an agency
Internet glamor? - post prices and network
Local/small business? - go see local dept. store and specialty store marketing people

Depends on what you want. You may not have a good portfolio yet if you want to do more high-end stuff.

May 07 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

Take your portfolio to the agencies in Atlanta and say "I want work" and if they think you are ok, show up on time. Really easy.

If they think "Your port sucks" get another port.

Wash hands. Repeat.

May 07 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

dfstudios wrote:
Wash hands. Repeat.

best advice ever.

If they say no, take it for what it is .. you're not good enough *yet*. so get some better work and come back.

If they say yes and you don't think you're being paid enough ... get better work and come back.

If they say yes and you think you're getting paid really well, ... get better work and come back, ask for more.

May 07 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Start charging?

May 07 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

picturemephotography

Muncie, Indiana, US

looking at your current port, i only see one side(glamour/lingerie)  diversy your port, add some fashion and whatever else you want to do.  don't get type cast.  or sharge for what your port has already and keep after what you (NEEEEEEED!)

May 07 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

1. Update your profile to say "No TFP/TFCD"
2. ...
3. Profit!

Seriously, find the niche you want and drive furiously toward it.

You don't have the height for runway, so focus on either commercial or glamour. For commercial, find an agency (hint: here's where the non-nude money is). For glamour, the promotional/video/calendar route might be the way to go.

And, of course, stay in school!

May 08 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Melanesia Hunter wrote:
Now Im ready to start getting paid assignments....so how should I go about that?

start by taking the TFPs/TFCDs out of your offer (MM profile); you just up & decide, then do it! granted, the temptation will be there to keep taking exchanges just to keep working but, well, you know ...

agency representation: slightly different matter than [presented above]; if that's what you're after, do the research to find the best in your area & see when/if they have any open-calls or submissions policies.

best of luck!

frank

May 08 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Also, take down repetetive shots. You don't need more than one in each outfit,

Star

May 08 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Melanesia Hunter wrote:

Models and photographers both tend to underestimate the amount of marketing necessary to make money. Let me ask you a question -- do you know 80-90% of the people who hire models in your area? Do you know their names? Do they know YOUR name? How often do you touch base with them to network? Do you have a print portfolio? How many hours a week do you spend showing it to potential clients?

If you want to book consistently, or even at all, you're going to have to put yourself out there aggressively. Internet modeling sites aren't going to be much help -- you have to do it yourself.

May 08 06 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Melanesia Hunter wrote:
ok so how do you move from doing TFPs to paid work

One outfit per set would be a start.

May 08 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

www.melanesiahunter.com is a start ... and that can be up and running for about $100.

MORE VARIETY !!   Your port in here is lacking variety.

Also, remove your references to TFP.

Post on every model site available

May 08 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

A lot of people are advising changes or improvements to your online portfolio.

Unless you are planning to shoot mostly glamour and nudes, I don't think shooting TFP or not, or how many pictures are on your MM or OMP port, or how good or bad your pictures are here, or how many shots per outfit or look, etc. really matters.

If you want to do commercial work -- appearing in ads or catalogs or editorial work, you're going to have to find out who buys that kind of stuff in your area, and network with them directly. Very few people hiring models for commercial work are going to get them via places like MM (yes I know there are exceptions).

May 08 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Start charging?

Makes sense to me. LOL

May 08 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Melanesia Hunter wrote:
Now Im ready to start getting paid assignments....so how should I go about that?

You should do TFP/CD work with real commercial photographers who do the accounts you seek. Impress them, be 100% on time, and literally bend over backwards ... Thats the only freelance models I will use in Commercial work.

E L

May 08 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Paul C

San Antonio, Texas, US

UnSeenYou wrote:
www.melanesiahunter.com is a start ... and that can be up and running for about $100.

MORE VARIETY !!   Your port in here is lacking variety.

Also, remove your references to TFP.

Post on every model site available

I agree. You have to promote yourself as much as possible! Talk to an agent in your area who manages models who ARE working and try to get a meeting. You'll learn a lot.

I don't agree with removing the reference to TFP. You need to shoot as much as possible and then you need an agent or agency to tell you which ones are useful and which ones are for the trash. Then, soon enough, you'll know on your own.

Even models who ARE getting paid still do tests. When I was in Paris, we shot a Japanese girl who had a running campaign for the United Colors of Benetton in Europe. And she was shooting for free. Yes, FREE. It's common. One of the girls in my portfolio was in a ton of ads in Southeast Asia and China for Nokia ( a really great ad by the way) and I did a test with her. 

Try to be honest with yourself and find your market and target it.

Best smile

May 12 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

All the advice here is really good. It totally depends on what your goal is in modeling which direction you should go.

If you're like me, and simply do this as a hobby to make extra money, then there are several simple things you can do to help boost yourself.

You've got to work to get yourself out there first, be seen on the websites, post in the forums (but be smart about what you're posting!) so that people will notice you and see that you're a reasonable person that might be fun to shoot with. Update your profile every day, change a period or comma or SOMETHING. It puts you top in the search lists. Those are the types of things you've got to do so that people can find you and you can be available to be shot and gain paid work. Cruise the casting calls looking for photographers paying in your area.

I think the most important thing if you are attempting to do this on your own is to not over price yourself. Go lower and you'll gain more work that way, go high and you'll end up with a few jobs here and there. In the long run going lower pays more.

As another person said: Don't rule out TFP compeltely. Use TFP wisely to expand your portfolio in areas where it is weak. Use the paying jobs to do the work that you already have in your portfolio. If you have a lot of glamor already, seek glamor paid work, and do TFP for fashion if you need it.

Good luck in your journey!

May 13 06 09:25 am Link