Photographer

theycallmeiron

San Diego, California, US

What are your best Actions you use for touching up a photo in regards to:

a. speed
b. quality
c. dramatic
d. anything else

Please upload the file or give us a step by step run down. Thank you.

Jun 10 09 09:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Lol I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but I'm bored.

a. speed - Got husband to go out & buy more RAM this week...works great lol

b. quality - Ask for RAWs so you don't get 100kb images:) And work in layers so you can always step back!

c. dramatic - Clarity & Contrast make all the difference

d. anything else - Make it your own...don't over analyze and make it into a chore.  Have fun editing images.

Jun 10 09 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

Great info! I'm actually looking for the .atn files you use within Photoshop to aide you in editing photos. An action is similar to a macro or better yet it's "actions" that are made automatically so you don't have to manually do them.

Here's an example I have of one:

Vignette >> Make Snapshot >> From: Current Histor State >> Using: full document
Feather >> radius: 5 pixels >> Layer via Copy

Show current layer >> With Toggle Others >> Make layer

Fill >> Using: white >> Opacity : 100% >> mode: normal

Jun 10 09 09:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

wsciron wrote:
What are your best Actions you use for touching up a photo in regards to:

a. speed
b. quality
c. dramatic
d. anything else

Far too many to list. I've been asking Adobe for a better Actions management system for many versions. They're almost all speed-related.

Actions to ...
Vignette: Add a named adjustment layer to lighten (or darken), and set the default tool to my vignette brush.
Vignette w/blur: duplicate and names layer, blur, apply adjustment, add mask, set default tool to my brush.
Black and white stack. Not used as much as the B/W adjustment these days, it's still handy.
Eye pop: duplicates, names layer, sets tool to burn.
Web prep: resize, sharpen, convert to 8-bit/sRGB, add border, add metadata, add name.
Print prep (multiple, for different output media and sizes) Resize, sharpen, convert to proper profile, save-as.

Most of them are conceptually similar; take a half-dozen or more (usually much more) steps I do frequently and map them to a keyboard shortcut.

These are the Action Sets I have on my laptop for CS3. (There are some that were for CS or CS2 which still work and didn't have to be modified; they're not listed, as they're in a different folder.) Most sets have between 5 and 20 Actions, excluding sub-actions.

Border and Resize kdc.atn
cd prep.atn
cd prep2.atn
Contact Sheets.atn
eyes.atn
kdc_bw_set.atn
kdc_edit_shortcuts.atn
markzebra_analyze_difference_rgb.atn
MiniAlbums.atn
Portfolio Booklet utilities.atn
Print Prep 2200.atn
Print Prep ACI.atn
Print Prep misc.atn
Print Prep sRGB.atn
Print Prep Tricommunity.atn
Print Prep.atn
Retouch setup
Saturation Masks.atn
Slideshow Utilities.atn
standards.atn
Text.atn
Validate.atn
vignettes.atn
Web.atn
WebResizing.atn

Jun 10 09 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

Kevin_Connery wrote:

Far too many to list. I've been asking Adobe for a better Actions management system for many versions. They're almost all speed-related.

Actions to ...
Vignette: Add a named adjustment layer to lighten (or darken), and set the default tool to my vignette brush.
Vignette w/blur: duplicate and names layer, blur, apply adjustment, add mask, set default tool to my brush.
Black and white stack. Not used as much as the B/W adjustment these days, it's still handy.
Eye pop: duplicates, names layer, sets tool to burn.
Web prep: resize, sharpen, convert to 8-bit/sRGB, add border, add metadata, add name.
Print prep (multiple, for different output media and sizes) Resize, sharpen, convert to proper profile, save-as.

Most of them are conceptually similar; take a half-dozen or more (usually much more) steps I do frequently and map them to a keyboard shortcut.

Great stuff! Keep them coming. Also if you have the .atn file for people to try out, please link it. Thank you.

Jun 10 09 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Kevin_Connery wrote:

How do you add the name? with a script?

Jun 11 09 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

I use a combination of actions/scripts in my normal workflow. I keep my actions in button mode and have the first action as a "stepthrough" action to initiate a script. The script checks to see where I am in my workflow and takes me to the next step, setting up all the normal layers, tool presets, swatches, etc. When I finish with that step, I hit that with my pen and it takes me to the next.

I'm constantly revising it as I find new methods or a better way to do something. Or even just this morning someone helped me with a script that will activate when I select a layer. Now I just have to code in what to do for each named layer I select.

Also, as soon as a document opens if it is a CR2 file that automatically initiates the first step in my workflow to set up initial layers and tools.

Jun 11 09 07:46 am Link

Retoucher

James Minshall

Bedford, Indiana, US

I set specific keywords in bridge.. BlackVignette, EffectLOTR, EffectBleach, EffectBW, LogoBlack, LogoLeft, SaveForFacebook, SaveForProof, etc etc

then select all raw files in bridge and use image processor to run everything through a huge list of scripts and actions PS, doing whatever is required based on each file's keywords.  Its great for a 'proof'.. very fast!

Jun 11 09 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

syd47421 wrote:
and use image processor

Which Image processor? Dr Browns?

Jun 11 09 11:14 am Link

Retoucher

James Minshall

Bedford, Indiana, US

Fun City Photo wrote:

Which Image processor? Dr Browns?

nah, just the one within bridge.  it just batches whatever you have selected.  everything else are my custom scripts/actions

Jun 11 09 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Do you write your own scripts? I can write some easy ones.

Jun 11 09 11:30 am Link

Retoucher

James Minshall

Bedford, Indiana, US

yep.  first few PS scripts were in vbscript and even a couple of visual basic interfaces that tied in with photoshop.  now I've changed workflows and just use javascript.

its fun stuff, just takes alot of 'head vs. wall' to learn smile

Jun 11 09 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

syd47421 wrote:
yep.  first few PS scripts were in vbscript and even a couple of visual basic interfaces that tied in with photoshop.  now I've changed workflows and just use javascript.

its fun stuff, just takes alot of 'head vs. wall' to learn smile

lol Ain't that the truth. I prefer javascript because of portability. I can share what I have with others easier or if I ever go to a Mac, I can still use them.

Jun 11 09 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

Great info! But I have yet to see any samples people could download and test out sad

Jun 11 09 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My best action is one that takes my final, retouched images in full size and makes five different sizes of each one with my copyright placed in the lower left corner. Each different size is automatically placed in different folder according to size.

I have to produce between 50 - 100 new images (in each of all five sizes) each week for my website. This one action saves me hours of work every week.

A former intern of mine worked out all the details and made it work.

KM

Jun 11 09 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
My best action is one that takes my final, retouched images in full size and makes five different sizes of each one with my copyright placed in the lower left corner. Each different size is automatically placed in different folder according to size.

I have to produce between 50 - 100 new images (in each of all five sizes) each week for my website. This one action saves me hours of work every week.

A former intern of mine worked out all the details and made it work.

KM

This is a must have!

Jun 11 09 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

wsciron wrote:
Great info! But I have yet to see any samples people could download and test out sad

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … ost9701584

And...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … ost9731906

The thing with mine is most of them run within a script and wouldn't work the same without the script.

Jun 12 09 04:34 am Link