Forums > General Industry > Name or Pseudonym?

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have been thinking about this for a while. I actually don't like the fact then when I make a post, or when someone sends me a message they say "Hey Negatives" because they usually don't have/know my name! But I have a name! I origionally used this name because I couldn't think of anything else to use, and I thought that "Samantha's Photography" was a bit uncreative wink Though maybe I could use a combination of initials s,a,g (yeah...sag...)

So for everyone really, do you prefer when someone has their real name as a username, or is a "business" name okay?

Also, I know we have some creative people here so if you have a suggestion for a name feel free to post that too. (Okay, I am really just saying that to see what kind of funny replies I can get..considering my initials backwards are GAS...that should be easy wink)

May 07 06 11:39 am Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Doesn't matter to me either way. A.Fox is my real name but everyone thinks it's made up so it's all the same to me.

May 07 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

ditto! over the yrs have heard some, uh,..., creative (?!?) explanations for what "FML" (it's just my initials) in FML-Photography might stand for; hopefully though my work speaks for itself when it comes down to whatever name i've made for it ...

best wishes in all your work,
frank

May 07 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FML-Photography wrote:
ditto! over the yrs have heard some, uh,..., creative (?!?) explanations for what "FML" (it's just my initials) in FML-Photography might stand for; hopefully though my work speaks for itself when it comes down to whatever name i've made for it ...

best wishes in all your work,
frank

Foxy Model Lust?

smile

May 07 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

MsEmerald

Seattle, Washington, US

People assume my name is made up anyway...so I just go with it.

Its my actual birth name smile

May 07 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

MsEmerald wrote:
People assume my name is made up anyway...so I just go with it.

Its my actual birth name smile

Your parents named you msemerald?

May 07 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nemi wrote:
Your parents named you msemerald?

No no no! MsEmerald! Like McDonalds!

May 07 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

_Negatives wrote:

No no no! MsEmerald! Like McDonalds!

Okay....

Your parents named you MsEmerald?

May 07 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

There are lots of models with strange names listed - but there are a few with real problems.

They list agency affiliation, but with a name "Smiley" or something like that. I look at the profile - can't find a real name anywhere. So if I want to give them work, I should call the agency and ask for .... "Smiley"? I don't think so.

Had a model contact on another site and Tyelen and I had a discussion and at one point she never replied. So much for that. I get a request here from "Crystal" and she wants to do pictures and loves my work.

I look at it and said, "that's Tyelen" - exact same photo. Ok, I have a pretty good memory. But I'm using the same name on both sites. True, the photos aren't all the same but .... Doesn't she remember? And what's with "Crystal" now. Is she hidding from someone? No thanks. First she claims I have the wrong person and she never talked to me. I mention the full "Tyelen" name and discribe the other photos on the site - and the date of the messages. She still claims it wasn't her.... Whaaaa? It's the same headshot, same photos from the same town!

May 07 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey, this is the Internet.  Anything I can do to minimize the exposure of my real name & other personal details is fine by me.  I also try to obscure my e-mail address -- even so, 60% of the e-mail I receive is spam.

May 07 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

_Negatives wrote:
I have been thinking about this for a while. I actually don't like the fact then when I make a post, or when someone sends me a message they say "Hey Negatives" because they usually don't have/know my name! But I have a name! I origionally used this name because I couldn't think of anything else to use, and I thought that "Samantha's Photography" was a bit uncreative wink Though maybe I could use a combination of initials s,a,g (yeah...sag...)

So for everyone really, do you prefer when someone has their real name as a username, or is a "business" name okay?

Also, I know we have some creative people here so if you have a suggestion for a name feel free to post that too. (Okay, I am really just saying that to see what kind of funny replies I can get..considering my initials backwards are GAS...that should be easy wink)

I have a business logo ixxxix which is simply my birthday in roman numerals.  But that's normally only on images along with my copyright.  Occasionally I am asked to shamelessly whore out my photography services on gigs far outside or the spectrum of the stuff I like to shoot... usually wedding imagery.  It's nice to have a logo to place upon that kind of stuff, as I could never face my photographer buddies if they knew...

Dry wit aside, I prefer using my name.  It certainly removes the cheesiness factor.  I'm not interested in cute and catchy.  Just whether or not my work fits the project or not.  A potential client doesn't need some catchy nickname and jingle to remember me, they'll make a point to commit my name to memory if they like my work.

As for Negatives as a name... heaven forbid you ever begin shooting digital (too late) or pop in the occasional roll of chrome.  What's wrong with using your first and last name...?

May 07 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Nemi wrote:

Okay....

Your parents named you MsEmerald?

-cracks up-
such a brat smile

May 07 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Dry wit aside, I prefer using my name.  It certainly removes the cheesiness factor.

As for Negatives as a name... heaven forbid you ever begin shooting digital (too late) or pop in the occasional roll of chrome.  What's wrong with using your first and last name...?

I definitely agree with that, some "company" names can be kinda lame. I'm not sure why I'm opposed to using my full name, I will probably end up changing it to something related to my initials though.

May 07 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

How long have you been on the net? It is most common for people to address you by your full screen name or a certain part of it.

May 07 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
How long have you been on the net? It is most common for people to address you by your full screen name or a certain part of it.

I've been on MM since...the begining of February. I've been on the "net" since I was maybe 13 wink lol

May 07 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

_Negatives wrote:

I've been on MM since...the begining of February. I've been on the "net" since I was maybe 13 wink lol

And you whine about people addressing you by screen name? Goodness,girl smile

May 07 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

And you whine about people addressing you by screen name? Goodness,girl smile

LOL! True, true https://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/47_47.gif

May 07 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Hey, this is the Internet.  Anything I can do to minimize the exposure of my real name & other personal details is fine by me.  I also try to obscure my e-mail address -- even so, 60% of the e-mail I receive is spam.

I have my full name email address and phone number on my profile plus my website address that has my home address and have never had a problem. Im sure its diffrent for the girls out there but I think its best to make it easy for people to get a hold of you especially if your trying to make money.

i find it kind of annoying when models dont at least give there first name. I hate having to begin an email with; Dear, Apocalypse Meow

May 08 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Looknsee Photography wrote:

When you want to get work and get known - at least make up and stage name and stick with it. But some "hot-to-trot" or "GreatAss" as the only name on a profile isn't even clost to what a business person would want to be know by.

I agree with Scott, addressing an e-mail or dealing with contact becomes a problem. It's not a good idea. But I'm not saying they should have address or phone numbers listed. They have to take precautions until the contact is screened.

May 08 06 01:48 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

_Negatives wrote:

I don't use my real name, but I use the name that all of my friends call me and that I've been using online and as an artist for the past six years.  It feels very comfortable to be called Wynd.  It kind of creeps me out when people call me "Jess."

May 08 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I don't have an answer to your dilemma, but I do have two thoughts on the subject:

1. All the famous photographers I've ever heard of just used their names.  I am sure there are exceptions, but you don't hear about "That amazing photography studio, Such-n-Such Images," very often.  You do hear about "That amazing photographer, So-n-So," pretty regularly.  Branding yourself as a name is, I'd think, a valuable marketing approach.

2.  This is speaking from the modeling perspective.  I hate, and I do mean hate, having to work really hard to find out the name of someone I'm supposed to be shooting with.  Just tell me who you are, dammit.  You're going to end up with all my contact info when I sign the model release.  If there's no reciprocity, I start to wonder why there's such a need for secrecy.  My imagination rarely goes to good places.  wink

May 08 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This is my name...well, now it is tongue

May 08 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
This is my name...well, now it is tongue

Yes, whenever I get used to your name, you change it! However, all but one of your names has had Adrienne in it, so I am going to believe that that part is probably correct.
Me, I am all pseudonymn.

May 08 06 02:00 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lapis wrote:

Yes, whenever I get used to your name, you change it! However, all but one of your names has had Adrienne in it, so I am going to believe that that part is probably correct.
Me, I am all pseudonymn.

Haha, well, I've only had 4...oh yeah, well that one you guys changed- I didn't have anything to do with it! And the last one was a joke because of the banner about the new membership- I decided to change it when people were calling me "Rage". I like this one though- alliteration big_smile wink

May 08 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I use groupw because when I first joined internet communities, most DISCOURAGED use of real names. Now it's just a matter of consistency. I do give my real name in my first message to any model. I guess it's my way of offering a handshake online..

May 08 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

Jared H

Mine is just my nick name in portuguese. At least that is what google tells me. big_smile

Anomaly -> Anomalia

Pronounced AnoMALia (with stress on the capitals)

I didnt realise they didnt have a real name field actually. I will have to change my screen name eventually but I will leave it where it is for now.

May 08 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm a fairly intelligent person who lives in Arizona.  I also am known to have a quick wit, so, the name of my business is "SmartAz Photography"  Whenever I post here, I typically sign my name at the end so that people know my name.  I do the same for Tags and any e-mail. 

Tony

May 08 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

i prefer it when people use their real name, but i understand if they don't. i don't. i don't because i have a lot of career options in my life, a lot of paths i could take, and i don't want someone to google my name while researching my art gallery or my biology research and finding this site. i model because i love creating art...this is not my career. and i am very liberal and very odd, and my portfolio illustrates that...and some of my employers have been quite conservative.
i do, however, always end personal communications with my real name. phoenix is simply my fire performance name, so i adopted it here. my real name is my initial...

--elizabeth tongue

May 08 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

C R is my first name initial and middle name initial.

Most people who don't read my portfolio call me CR.

I love it when I get a pre-approved credit card app in the mail for Mr. Photography.. big_smile

May 08 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

groupw wrote:
I use groupw because when I first joined internet communities, most DISCOURAGED use of real names. Now it's just a matter of consistency. I do give my real name in my first message to any model. I guess it's my way of offering a handshake online..

Hmm, I always thought you were calling yourself GroupW because you were quoting the Arlo Guthrie Song, "Alices Restaraunt," and labeling yourself as an outcast.

". . . And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly looking people on the bench there.  Mother rapers.  Father stabbers.  Father rapers!  Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me!  And they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the bench next to me. . ."

I guess I put you in the wrong group.

Tony

May 08 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Actually, "Alice's Restaurant" was where I found my name! I am a bit of a misfit and I have a story of being jailed for a parking ticket!

May 08 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Star

My name is Star. It isn't my fault, and I paid for it throughout elementary school,

Star

May 08 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

I am here because I want to network with other professions (models, photogs, muas, etc.). I am using my real name because I want to add to my business and make creative contacts.

May 08 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Star wrote:
My name is Star. It isn't my fault, and I paid for it throughout elementary school,

Star

Hey, my son had a pair of schoolmates-- identical twins named Starla & Starlette!

Star is a fine name. :^)

side note: those girls are now 19 and drop dead gorgeous.  Perfectl model material!  Too bad my son wasn't part of their crowd. :-(

May 08 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AJ Bella is really my name. For some reason everyone thinks I added the "bella"

May 08 06 11:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Rachel Rose is my first and middle name.

My actual name Rachel Rose DeSimone-Hesse, seemed a little too long for MM. But on my website and on IMDB I acknowlegde myself as Rachel Rose DeSimone or DeSimone-Hesse.

May 09 06 11:21 am Link