Forums > General Industry > Unprofessional Behaviour By Wannabe Models...

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

If you've never had a model flake on you, had a client pull their contract with you after you put a shoot in the can, lost a location that you'd booked, had a shoot permit revoked so another photog could use the location you discovered, or if YOU have never had to cancel a shoot for any number of reasons then today must be your first day in the business.

Welcome aboard!

May 08 06 03:09 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Ched wrote:
https://www.jinx.com/images/products/327bgNavy.jpg

That is a good one...almost spit my apple juice out! LOL!

Anyways sorry you got stuck like that, that was really inconsiderate and to top it all off she insulted your intelligence by telling you that lame ass excuse...what was she thinking, that would be just like telling you she cant shoot cause he period just came on and it surprised her! tongue

May 08 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

if you needa cancel should be atleast 24 hours in advance.

May 08 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

wannabe models=GWP (girls with pictures)

May 08 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

PTBphotography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

BCI Photo wrote:
lol

Dude, I have a wanna be model who lives less than 500 feet AWAY FROM MY HOUSE pull a no show on me, and she contacted me online! It wasn't until a few convos in that we realized how close we were to each other. I see her just about every other day, but I have nothing to say to her at all. If you can't act professional, don't expect me to act courteous.

lol....That is "un-real" that this girl who was a "no-show" lives so close to you...does she know who you are when she see's you?...

When will some of these people realize how much it sucks to have the "model" cancel last minute. Not show ,not call ,not send an e-mail...After you bought props ,clothes ,etc...set-up gear and spent hour testing an idea....Ah! what a waste of time it can be....

ooops I gotta go....just got called into work cause...ah...umm...my bosses sisters cousin former room mate has a hang nail....ha...ha....

Pete.

May 08 06 04:13 pm Link

Model

Christina MJ

Naugatuck, Connecticut, US

Taray Jennings wrote:
My bad for thinking a young girl (20) had a brain.

Hey, I might be 18, but I can honestly say that I've had a bit of photoshoots and haven't been late or needed to reschedule once.
I have a brain ::sniffle::

May 08 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Edward Lewis USN

Madeira Beach, Florida, US

Gold Rush Studio wrote:
If you've never had a model flake on you, had a client pull their contract with you after you put a shoot in the can, lost a location that you'd booked, had a shoot permit revoked so another photog could use the location you discovered, or if YOU have never had to cancel a shoot for any number of reasons then today must be your first day in the business.

Welcome aboard!

Well Actually, In twenty some odd years, and hundreds of shoots, this is the first time I have had such a lame excuse. So today was not my first day in business...thanks for the sarcasm though

May 08 06 08:35 pm Link

Model

Nicolea

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Hey there, (this goes back to the original post)

Just want to say thanks for the kind words "i'm the one who showed", and for the girls who didn't - well, they just plain MISSED OUT - it was an innovative, original, and FUN experience - with great people... So, if anything - that's their punishment.

god bless,
Nic

May 09 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

PTBphotography wrote:

lol....That is "un-real" that this girl who was a "no-show" lives so close to you...does she know who you are when she see's you?...

Oh yea, she knows. Looking at her pics, it's definitely her loss, not mine.

May 09 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

shelly1982 wrote:
Sorry you got stung there hun but remember for one flakey one there are at least 10 others who are ready willing and able to work with you.

take it with a pinch of salt add her to your "not to ask again" list and be done with it nothing you can do about it now anywayz lol..

take care and hope the other models showed up and you had a good shoot

xx shelly xx

Excuse me but...

Where in the world are there 10 reliable models for every flaky one?  It seems like I have to book 4 models to get one shoot on an average weekend.  I don't have the nerve to book 8 models to get 2 shoots.

May 09 06 09:08 pm Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

I had one model who didn't show up at her 10am photoshoot. I called and left messages. She called back at 3pm and said "sorry, i just woke up, are we still shooting?"

I laughed and said no thank you.

So yea, it happens.

May 09 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Lewis Media Group wrote:
This topic has been tackled a million times. Here is my horror story...

I contacted a model a few days ago regarding a project I am working on...In my initial message I titled it "Can you shoot this Sunday?"

You said one thing incorrectly... you referred to her as a "Model", which obviously, she isnt.

May 10 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Nicolea wrote:

Just want to say thanks for the kind words "i'm the one who showed", and for the girls who didn't - well, they just plain MISSED OUT - it was an innovative, original, and FUN experience - with great people... So, if anything - that's their punishment.

god bless,
Nic

May 10 06 09:09 am Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

shelly1982 wrote:
Sorry you got stung there hun but remember for one flakey one there are at least 10 others who are ready willing and able to work with you.

take it with a pinch of salt add her to your "not to ask again" list and be done with it nothing you can do about it now anywayz lol..

take care and hope the other models showed up and you had a good shoot

xx shelly xx

Thank you! As a model looking for paying gigs, don't let this bad one ruin your outlook
on internet models.  In my day job as a nurse, if we get an agency nurse that is bad we label them "DNR" otherwise known as 'DO NOT RETURN'.....ha ha i know what you thinking...

May 10 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

BCI Photo wrote:

Good luck getting a girl who models online to pay for an MUA, much less a photogs rates.

Hey brotha I feel your pain! Trust me... I am to the point, I just ask upfront "So, how much money do you have to put into this, it will help me determine how committed you are to your career.

The real models understand the importance in investing in themselves ( like a smakll business ).
However, many are "Gimme, gimme, gimme"...

May 10 06 09:25 am Link

Model

AmieS

Dallas, Texas, US

UnSeenYou wrote:
Payback is a bitch ...

Just to make her pay for it, let her know that you have a paying shoot, and the customer need a model JUST LIKE HER in a promo that would excite her.  Then cancel her because you decided to go to a baseball game or some lame excuse.

No do that but do what one photographer did to me..said he had a paid gig and i was all fired up cause I have always wanted to be in a magazine..then he called and said oah sorry since your husband will be there I decided to go with better talent....besides i was just trying to help you out anyhow.

Now that hurt!

May 10 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Nicolea wrote:

god bless,
Nic

OK ,here we are in Vegas but just have to speak out on this one  because  1) we know all parties involved and 2) we have been in Edward's position.

Nic, your the best when it comes to professionalism, (and she is relatively new to modelling.  Just happens to be a natural)

For the other gals who missed the opportunity to work with Edward, well they really don't understand what they have missed out on....loads of connecttions that could lead them to excellent well paid gigs......, a fabulous experienced FILM photographer......which in this day in age, is rare.  He has the eye and is a true artist.   Dont you gals know (Edward would never toot his own horn) but his work has been exhibited in many Art galleries and sold for thousands of dollars....

So, moral of the story to models, you never WHO your flaking on...and what the reprucussions may be.

Nic, Im glad you got the privilege to work with Edward...

May 10 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

EdwinR Photography wrote:
So, moral of the story to models, you never WHO your flaking on...and what the reprucussions may be.

Exactly

May 11 06 10:14 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

studio36uk wrote:
The dog ate my make-up;

My bus got hijacked and I was taken against my will to Chicago;

I got hit by a car and lost my memory;

My grandma died... but she'll be better next week;

I fell asleep and didn't wake up...

LOL

Studio36

lol

May 11 06 10:16 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

May 15 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Paul Valach

Avondale, Arizona, US

Ched wrote:
https://www.jinx.com/images/products/327bgNavy.jpg

ROFLMAO.. OK I Need to get a dozen of these for my CIS class I teach ...all my students are on MySpace....and maybe a few models off of Craig's List...(ok I know they are not all bad, but I had to make this comment come back to the subject at hand),

May 15 06 01:52 am Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

E. Walter Lewis wrote:
This topic has been tackled a million times. Here is my horror story...

I contacted a model a few days ago regarding a project I am working on...In my initial message I titled it "Can you shoot this Sunday?"

For three days we have messaged back and forth, I set an agenda, coordinated with other models, etc. Now I get a message back four hours before the shoot, "Sorry I can't shoot today, because it's my brother's birthday..."       WHAT???

What a bunch of B.S., I am not going to throw the model under the bus and give her name or MM#, but When I am working with models, I expect a little better behaviour. Maybe there is a direct correlation with poor model behaviour and GWC's...

I've had other family member birthdays come up without much notice but not my siblings. That is something you know. Also not just 4 hours before a photoshoot. Sometimes things really do come up. Maybe something else happend that she felt you wouldn't believe.

May 15 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i really  love hearing from  models  3 days after the shoot was scheduled and who  say,"  i''m ready for my shoot now, my phone was disconnected, my computer broke ,and my car rolled on the interstate", [ and yes i got all of these last trip ] so i could not get in contact, ever hear of kinko''s and pay phones. get real. we have a name for em in oz, WANKERS.

May 15 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

John Dorothy

Washington, District of Columbia, US

These things happen and when they do it makes no sense. But that really is not the point. The point is that just like in any other business there are good days and there will be not-so-good days. IMHO, one incident does not even tell much about the reliability of the model. Shit does happen and I would not judge from one event. But it does suck when it happens...

May 15 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

As long as this topic is being beat to death again, I think the main problem may be where you found your "model".  I mean, it isn't like there are any limits on who can post here or any of the other sites.  Based on my experience, I would be SHOCKED if more than 10% of the "models" here (or photographers for that matter) are truly professionals.  I have worked with some awesome models but the rest screw it up for everybody.

Use modeling agencies and your cancel rate will drop to almost zero, but your bank account might too... if you are fishing for TFP/TFCD on MM, MP, or OPM... etc, I think the flakes are going to be part of the territory.

May 16 06 12:36 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Some models just don't know how to get their sh*t together

May 16 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

Yep, if it's an important job I'd hook up with an agency, too -

May 16 06 08:22 am Link

Model

hot topic

Longmont, Colorado, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
You don't need to stand her up to get the point home.

There have been many times where I've had a model no-show no-call or come up with a clearly fake excuse. The next time she submitted herself for a paying gig, I very politely told her that I could not rely on her. When it was a trade shoot, it was annoying. But when it's a paying gig, it's my reputation on the line.

Every single time, without fail, I've gotten an apology from the model and the next time we scheduled something she was on time.

You don't need to be an ass about it, rub it in, out her in public, or anything. Just be honest that you cannot afford to rely on someone who cancels at the last minute without a bona fide reason.

Your integrity and reputation will benefit, as it's the professional way to handle it.

May 16 06 08:32 am Link

Model

hot topic

Longmont, Colorado, US

Your quote is the best one i've read throughout this conversation and very professional

Be honest, you don't need to dogg her on a public forum like you mentioned, let her know she can't be trusted and that your reputation is on the line.

after all she needs to know what she did was wrong...bet she won't do it again, and if she does she's not for real

May 16 06 08:44 am Link