Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Could someone help me

Photographer

F8photography

San Francisco, California, US

Hello everyone, I feel very stupid for asking this basic question but I really do not understand how my image quality changes so drastically from my computer to this site.

I transfered a RAW image from my CF, loaded the image to PS CS3, adjust some of the basic temps and what not then I convert to jpeg. From what the MM rules say, I can only load up to 600k so I make my image size small and follow the calculation for the image. Once I have the size I want, I save it but when I load the image here, it looks like this:

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090608/13/4a2d74bc59307_m.jpg

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090608/13/4a2d715f35160_m.jpg

I have seen some very high res looking photos but my images look small, flat, saturated to the n'th degree and ugly (maybe they are) but still not what I had on my screen before downloading.

Could someone give me some advise or may I send someone a RAW image to play with and help me post to see the difference?

Thank you so much for any assistance.

Ed

Jun 08 09 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Might be your colorspace.
How are you converting to jpg?

You should be using the "Save for Web" tool, which will convert an image to sRGB, which is best suited to viewing on the net.

Jun 08 09 02:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Louis MacLean

Granada, Andalusia, Spain

HungryEye wrote:
Might be your colorspace.
How are you converting to jpg?

You should be using the "Save for Web" tool, which will convert an image to sRGB, which is best suited to viewing on the net.

+1

Jun 08 09 02:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

From the Photography Forum FAQ

Why do my images look different on the web than they do in Photoshop or Lightroom? They come out flat, desaturated, or dull.

Most browsers don’t understand color manaqement. Your images need to be converted to sRGB before uploading to the web.

See the Color on the Web section of the Color Calibration and Management Reference thread for details

What can I do to make my images look good on ModelMayhem?

Start with a good original.  smile
Make a copy and resize it to no more than 800 pixels wide; anything larger will be resized by MM, and quality will be lost. (400x600 is a decent size, or 500x750.) If using Photoshop, Bicubic or Bicubic Sharper should be used for the interpolation method.
Convert the image to sRGB. (Photoshop: Edit > Convert to Profile, make sure Black Point Compensation is enabled)
Sharpen using your favorite method. (Unsharp Mask at 100, .4 pixel, Threshold 2 is a decent starting point for many images at this size if downsized using Bicubic.)
Save As… using JPEG filetype, and compression of 7-9 so that it’s under 500K in file size.
Upload to MM

That’s NOT the only way, but it’s one good sequence. If you use Photoshop, creating an Action to record these steps will save time, and help avoid missing steps.

For more information about the color issues, see the Color Calibration and Management Reference thread.

P.S. The DPI setting makes no difference. 72, 300, 1, 1000—it doesn’t matter for the web.

Jun 08 09 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

F8photography

Thank you everyone for your help, I will read and follow step by step to see if I can make things better. I will update in a few hours, hopefully with better images!!

Jun 08 09 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

F8photography

I think.............no, I know I am stupid. I have read everything from the sRGB converting to the unsharpen and even the color space link and each time I do a test it looks worse. I really do not understand. Sorry again, but the images look so terrible. If someone has just a moment to spare and help this poor stupid bastid it would mean the world to me.

It is very odd because it facebook and myspace, even flicker, the images are good. What am I missing? Besides my mind!

Jun 08 09 04:28 pm Link