Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How to tone down a shimmery makeup?

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Yesterday I shot a set for a magazine and the MUAs used a very shimmery makeup on a black model.  I exposed the images 1 stop under so I wouldn't blow out the highlights from the shimmer, but now after getting them on the computer the model looks as though she has HUGE white spots on her face.

Is there a way to fix this?

https://www.lauradark.net/IMG_5598.JPG

Jun 08 09 07:25 am Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

Sounds like you got some of that MAC makeup with the reflective particles.

I can't remember the specific material but most MUA ppl know of it and to stay away from it.

I got hit by that too once and couldn't use the shots, so will be watching this thread.

Jun 08 09 07:29 am Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

Go to;

Image > Adjustments > selective colour > Whites

Then use the slider that says black.

It should darken just the whites..

Failing that;

Image > Adjustments > Replace Colour

Then use the dropper to select the white shimmer colour and darken.

I can't see the image but this is how i would tackle it xx

Jun 08 09 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

TheEighthSin wrote:
Go to;

Image > Adjustments > selective colour > Whites

Then use the slider that says black.

It should darken just the whites..

Failing that;

Image > Adjustments > Replace Colour

Then use the dropper to select the white shimmer colour and darken.

I can't see the image but this is how i would tackle it xx

Technically I'm not supposed to post it because it's going to be for a magazine.  I  don't know how to edit this by myself though, so I may just have to pay someone.  The highlights are so bright they look over exposed even though I under exposed the entire image.  I tried what you said to do  and it did help a little.  I just don't see how this is ever going to be recovered.  sad

Jun 08 09 07:35 am Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

You MIGHT be able to get away with clone stamping regular skin over it at a very very low opacity...Hard to say again, since we can't see the image.  But at least maybe we can give you a few things to try.  This might tone down the overall makeup and make it look dull so be careful, but its worth a try!

Jun 08 09 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Kat Torgashev

with patch tool remove the excessive sparkles one by one? thats what i would probably do

Jun 08 09 07:54 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

In my experience, I normally do a combination of everything that's been mentioned so far, it really does depend on the photo.

I feel your pain though! I had 40+ shots to edit of a model who basically looked radioactive from shimmer pigment crap.

Jun 08 09 08:05 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

Oh and if all else fails, maybe building it all from scratch? Depending on what type of retouching you're doing with the rest of the skin. You may have to re-colour, smooth then put a new skin texture over it.

Jun 08 09 08:06 am Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

Laura Dark Photography wrote:

Technically I'm not supposed to post it because it's going to be for a magazine.  I  don't know how to edit this by myself though, so I may just have to pay someone.  The highlights are so bright they look over exposed even though I under exposed the entire image.  I tried what you said to do  and it did help a little.  I just don't see how this is ever going to be recovered.  sad

Was the effect similar to this ?
https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/clicksmile/people/reflecteye.jpg

Jun 08 09 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Real World Images

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

This sounds like it is from the Titanium Dioxide. It is SPF and is in most drug store make-up. Some lines contain less than others and a good make-up artist not to use this stuff. There are plenty of cosmetic lines without Titanium Dioxide.

What you are seeing is the light of the strobes reflected from the material. I too doubt this will be recoverable but I am far from a Wizard in PS.

Can you sample an area of skin and post that?

Jun 08 09 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Real World Images wrote:

This sounds like it is from the Titanium Dioxide. It is SPF and is in most drug store make-up. Some lines contain less than others and a good make-up artist not to use this stuff. There are plenty of cosmetic lines without Titanium Dioxide.

What you are seeing is the light of the strobes reflected from the material. I too doubt this will be recoverable but I am far from a Wizard in PS.

Can you sample an area of skin and post that?

Jun 08 09 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Kat Torgashev

it doesnt seem that bad to me, natural highlights and thats all

edit: if you mean the highlight on the lip, i think it looks good, except i would add more highlights on other areas of the lip, if you want to reduce it, patch tool and clone tool at 20% opacity.... and selective curves and other highlight/shadow techniques

Jun 08 09 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Kat Torgashev wrote:

it doesnt seem to bad to me, natural highlights and thats all

They show up so white though on her dark skin they look overexposed in the full photo.

Jun 08 09 08:51 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

biwa wrote:
Sounds like you got some of that MAC makeup with the reflective particles.

I can't remember the specific material but most MUA ppl know of it and to stay away from it.

I got hit by that too once and couldn't use the shots, so will be watching this thread.

They have adds for the shimmery make-up.  Those photographers managed to get the shot so there must be a way to do it.

As for the white spots, go through your process of evening out the skin tone and normal touch-ups that you normally do, then on a very low opacity setting air brush out the glares.

Jun 08 09 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Michele Cheeseman

Redding, California, US

It CAN be fixed... but its not just a quick easy technique.... it is going to be a combination of things.... and probably a tad time consuming since it is requiring magazine quality.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/Sunniee/lauradark1.jpg

Jun 09 09 08:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Querelle

Seattle, Washington, US

this could have been saved if the photographer and MUA have discussed before the shoot what the photographer wanted to achieve. This way the MUA know how to strategize his/her makeup both techniques and products.

Jun 09 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

I was just always lazy and used the brush at a 10-20% opacity and eye dropper the surrounding skin tones and paint over until satisfied... Just my $0.2

Jun 09 09 11:00 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

What's done is done.

I like the aforementioned post regarding sampling nearby colors via a 3x3 sampling option and brush on Darken mode on an empty transparency layer and adjust layer opacity to taste.

You've learnt something from this experience and that is a good thing.

Calvy Tran wrote:
this could have been saved if the photographer and MUA have discussed before the shoot what the photographer wanted to achieve. This way the MUA know how to strategize his/her makeup both techniques and products.

Jun 10 09 10:21 pm Link