Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Detail Recovery and Highpass Sucks...thanks Sean!

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Some people know that I've been trying to figure out a way to bring back details of an image.
What I outlined below opened a new world for me in terms of detail processing so I wanted to share with the wizards:

ATTN: This method is destructive (for now at least) so work on a copy.

- Convert your image to CMYK. Work on an image that could use some details like a landscape.
- Make a luminosity selection and create a channel of it. Now you should have c, m, y, black and alpha1 channels.
- Optional: run shadow and highlights on the alpha channel to whatever looks good to you.
- Apply the idea and methods explained in the thread linked below to the alpha channel:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

- Apply your highpass lookalike channel to black channel using the image/ apply image command. Make the blending mode Hard light, Overlay or Soft light depending on your taste.

The results and possibilities are wide open.
I also like the way how adding cmyk to black channel darkens the image with more details too before I do these.

By the way you can get some funky colors by adding channels to each other in other modes...also some other kinds of recoveries happen when you add channels and set the layers mode to luminosity.

Hope these above make a little bit of sense atleast and give you some ideas to experiment.

Cheers,

Koray

Jun 07 09 04:20 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I think this may also be close to a part of Dragan style processing tongue

edit - really really close.
just applied one high radius and one low radius regular highpasses on an old ladies face and tadaaa...funny how easy it is once figured out big_smile

Jun 07 09 05:28 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

When you apply channels to each others in RGB mode you get some funky colors like plugins do.
When you make a duplicate of any channel adjust it this way or that and apply it to another channel you get even more funky colors tongue

if you do these above on a copy layer on top of a layer and set its blending mode to luminosity then you get all other kinds of effects big_smile

I really like the "Add" blending mode now.

Jun 07 09 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus SMF

New York, New York, US

thank you Koray!! can't wait to try this out.

Jun 07 09 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

Koray wrote:
I think this may also be close to a part of Dragan style processing tongue

edit - really really close.
just applied one high radius and one low radius regular highpasses on an old ladies face and tadaaa...funny how easy it is once figured out big_smile

Could you post that old lady image?

Also what type of "detail" are you losing?

Jun 08 09 07:27 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

biwa...details are not lost...they are just not that visible.

Last night my computers hard drive died, but before it did I figured out every possible look that we admired and dont know how to exactly do.

- I beat the Nik's tonal contrast...its still different but I get all the details back as much as it can.
- Remember the sharp and detailed headshots that Randall and others have...done.
- Fake hdrs and tonemapping or all the other fancy names that people use...check.

All the partly useful info online are actually key ingredients of what I outlined above.
Dodge and burn is a big fat sleeping pill that people feed us. High Pass doesnt suck but Seans method is still better. Shadow and highlights is your best friend actually.

It now takes like 3 minutes to make an image look like anything else heh.
My quest is now over for real.

Its all about how good the base image is. rest is easy and a matter of taste.

Too bad my new computer died though sad

Jun 08 09 10:15 am Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

Ouch sorry to hear about the HD dieing.

If its a PC and you need some help give me a PM.

Question about above. 
If I run his action how does that work with your method?

Jun 08 09 10:29 am Link

Retoucher

James Minshall

Bedford, Indiana, US

koray wins?!

its amazing how a single piece of software is constantly evolving.  makes ya wonder where the next 'greatest thing' will come from...

Jun 08 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Koray wrote:
biwa...details are not lost...they are just not that visible.

Last night my computers hard drive died, but before it did I figured out every possible look that we admired and dont know how to exactly do.

- I beat the Nik's tonal contrast...its still different but I get all the details back as much as it can.
- Remember the sharp and detailed headshots that Randall and others have...done.
- Fake hdrs and tonemapping or all the other fancy names that people use...check.

All the partly useful info online are actually key ingredients of what I outlined above.
Dodge and burn is a big fat sleeping pill that people feed us. High Pass doesnt suck but Seans method is still better. Shadow and highlights is your best friend actually.

It now takes like 3 minutes to make an image look like anything else heh.
My quest is now over for real.

Its all about how good the base image is. rest is easy and a matter of taste.

Too bad my new computer died though sad

You killed it????

Jun 08 09 11:12 am Link

Photographer

JeF Briguet

Leytron, Valais, Switzerland

Koray wrote:
- Apply your highpass lookalike channel to black channel using the image/ apply image command. Make the blending mode Hard light, Overlay or Soft light depending on your taste.

Don't forget to Mask with your Alpha channel when you apply to the black channel. It helps with the halos (if you use a very high HP radius).

Jun 08 09 11:27 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

biwa wrote:
Ouch sorry to hear about the HD dieing.

If its a PC and you need some help give me a PM.

Question about above. 
If I run his action how does that work with your method?

dont run the action, understand it. apply it to single channels instead of the whole image.

thats the whole point. dont adjust the whole image.

Say shadow and Highlights for example:
Make a copy of your layer. Adjust the Red channels shadow and highlight like crazy. why red, because it usually has the least details in terms of skin. when you push the highlight you reveal all that is hidden. and then just set the whole layers blending mode to luminosity and watch how close it gets to the looks you are after.

All my recent work is gone with that hd...lucky I have my old stuff in an external...

Jun 08 09 07:52 pm Link