Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Look at this effect

Photographer

S T U D I O S I X

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there lets see what you guys think of how the retouchers did these photos.

https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture10.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture12.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture13.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture11.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture6.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture7.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture8.png
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr345/hotsteveo/Picture9.png

p.s I think it was alittle about the lighting but not talking about the lights talking about the style fantasy look.
Thanks

Jun 07 09 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Each image was retouched differently using a different style.  Care to limit your question to one image in particular?

Jun 07 09 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

A slice of oblivion wrote:
Each image was retouched differently using a different style.  Care to limit your question to one image in particular?

Agreed.  These are all good images to talk about, but narrow it down to just a couple or one.

Jun 07 09 09:54 am Link

Retoucher

UltraviolethRetouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

Agreed with above.

Jun 07 09 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It appears as though the group shots might have been composited in photoshop. Each model might have been shot either separately or in small groups of two or three.

Facial expressions may be altered by taking the best expression from one exposure and placing it in another one that may have a better pose.

This is a technique that I have used many time to 'perfect' an image with multiple models.

KM

Jun 07 09 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I realize this is the retouch forum, but even a cursory glance at any of these pictures should have you asking about wardrobe, styling, location scouting, casting, color coordination, props... the list of things that went into making these killer images is daunting when compared to a little thing like the retouching of them. Hell, the pre production meetings to determine the success of the retouch were more important than the retouch itself.

Jun 07 09 10:23 am Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I realize this is the retouch forum, but even a cursory glance at any of these pictures should have you asking about wardrobe, styling, location scouting, casting, color coordination, props... the list of things that went into making these killer images is daunting when compared to a little thing like the retouching of them. Hell, the pre production meetings to determine the success of the retouch were more important than the retouch itself.

+1

Jun 07 09 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Thomas James Dean

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm fascinated in how the 5th/7th image was retouched? Like the style a lot, if any one cares to share. Cheers!

Jun 07 09 10:28 am Link

Photographer

g e r m a i n

Richardson, Texas, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Ditto

These are great, care to share who shot these?

That may help in determining how they were done and give credit.

Jun 07 09 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Thomas James Dean

Robert Randall wrote:

Isn't this mandatory when taking images, he's asking how it was produced once the wardrobe, styling, location scouting, casting, color coordination, props were sorted surely! I agree he could have narrowed the selection down a touch but hell we're here to learn!

Jun 07 09 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Thomas James Dean wrote:
I'm fascinated in how the 5th/7th image was retouched? Like the style a lot, if any one cares to share. Cheers!

How is it possible to even have this conversation with out the before and after images to compare?

Jun 07 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Thomas James Dean

Sockpuppet Studios  wrote:

How is it possible to even have this conversation with out the before and after images to compare?

The 5th and 7th images have a distinct style to them! Perhaps an action that is well known, I don't know, just thought there may be someone who might have known purely by the style. I bet someone out there will know!

Jun 07 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Sockpuppet Studios  wrote:

Oh come on.  You have seen enough "how was this done?" threads around here.  5 or 6 people chime in saying it's HDR.  3 or 4 come in saying that you need to do it right in camera, then 3 pages later no two people can agree on anything else.

Jun 07 09 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Thomas James Dean wrote:
The 5th and 7th images have a distinct style to them! Perhaps an action that is well known, I don't know, just thought there may be someone who might have known purely by the style. I bet someone out there will know!

Looks like Lucis Art perhaps in the hands of someone who knows how to do it well?  I am guessing its probably more complicated than that, but its a similiar effect.

Jun 07 09 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Rock Angel Photography

Fort Worth, Texas, US

hours and hours of dodge and burn

Jun 07 09 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thomas James Dean wrote:

Isn't this mandatory when taking images, he's asking how it was produced once the wardrobe, styling, location scouting, casting, color coordination, props were sorted surely! I agree he could have narrowed the selection down a touch but hell we're here to learn!

Mandatory? Take a look in any of the portfolios in here before you ask that question, I doubt you'll find its mandatory. I also don't think the retouch involved in these images is any where near as involved as the OP might think. I see a bit of localized saturation control, some selective highlight painting and some local contrast controls. I don't see any evidence to suggest much more than that, and the usual global controls and cosmetic retouch.

Jun 07 09 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Thomas James Dean

Brian T Rickey wrote:

Looks like Lucis Art perhaps in the hands of someone who knows how to do it well?  I am guessing its probably more complicated than that, but its a similiar effect.

Cool will do, see ya and cheers! Thomas smile

Jun 07 09 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Thomas James Dean

Robert Randall wrote:
Mandatory? Take a look in any of the portfolios in here before you ask that question, I doubt you'll find its mandatory. I also don't think the retouch involved in these images is any where near as involved as the OP might think. I see a bit of localized saturation control, some selective highlight painting and some local contrast controls. I don't see any evidence to suggest much more than that, and the usual global controls and cosmetic retouch.

OK! Get your point! Off to study the Lucis art now! Thanks smile

Jun 07 09 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Agreed. I would love to do shots like this, but I bet the budget involved far exceeds anything I can imagine. The compositing IS damn impressive.

Jun 07 09 10:53 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Agreed....

I watched a video about Leibovitz where she actually did the second shot that was posted up there and the vast majority of whats there was done on set...

I actually appreciated her work a lot more after I saw that...

Jun 07 09 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

Agreed....

I watched a video about Leibovitz where she actually did the second shot that was posted up there and the vast majority of whats there was done on set...

Including the shot of Keith Richards in his hotel room

Jun 07 09 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Forbidden Touch Images wrote:
hours and hours of dodge and burn

I don't know one commercial retoucher that relies on your suggested technique... what makes you think it was used so heavily here?

Jun 07 09 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Agreed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNyIUlra9LU

SOOC visible at 1:16.  Made me much more aware of what I don't know.

Of course, this video taught me a lot about that, too.

Jun 07 09 11:05 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

True, true, but this is the digital and retouch forum.  Since everybody here seems to be such a stickler for the "rules" post production of the photos is all that matters here.

Jun 07 09 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Belk Media Group wrote:
True, true, but this is the digital and retouch forum.  Since everybody here seems to be such a stickler for the "rules" post production of the photos is all that matters here.

This was a helpful post on the topic.  Thanks for your insight.
edit - I did not mean to sound like a jerk here.  Sorry if I misread your post!

Jun 07 09 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here is the video from the Keith Richards shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGunD1tngg

Jun 07 09 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Yes..

Jun 07 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Belk Media Group wrote:

Are you the new hall monitor? I've already stipulated to such, and I posted what I thought were the more salient points regarding the retouching of said images. Go away!

Jun 07 09 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

The fifth one is the only one that looks heavily retouched to me.

Jun 07 09 11:31 am Link

Photographer

K A S

Austin, Texas, US

S T U D I O  S I X  wrote:
p.s I think it was alittle about the lighting but not talking about the lights talking about the style fantasy look.
Thanks

It was A LOT about the lighting.  Most of the "look" of these images is the lighting.  Other than that its various skin softening filters.  oh and Great make up artists, stylists and assistants.

Jun 07 09 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Justin Foto

Alberschwende, Vorarlberg, Austria

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
Here is the video from the Keith Richards shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGunD1tngg

This was probably the least produced of all those images, yet the level of pre-production and and the budget to put this together totally justifies Robert's comment.

I like the DNA based light stand. wink Mine is made of aluminum and doesn't respond to voice commands.

Jun 07 09 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Belk Media Group wrote:

So if I posted a thread asking how one particular image was done, and according to an interview later it was discovered that only a single pimple was removed from the nose of the model, would we then be forced to discuss how exactly to find the right balance of feathering, selection, fade, and how much healing brush versus clone brush were used?

Jun 07 09 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Justin Foto wrote:
I like the DNA based light stand. wink Mine is made of aluminum and doesn't respond to voice commands.

A grip's always better than a C-stand. Plus, they often work for beer.

Jun 07 09 12:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

answer to q: an ass load of photoshop. toning/ gradients/ selective coloring/ dodge and burn recreation of lighting/ super imposing  ...theres a lot of work in those photos.

Jun 07 09 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

yay! bob's back. wink

/jack

lot's of very cool images smile

Jun 07 09 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

S T U D I O S I X

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

sorry for the late response I am traveling. the shots are from annie lebovitz and augstine bradley. I know there is some lighting involved. also I have seen the videos on the shoot from annie so I know compositing was only for some things on the walls. I like the effects that were done here. nothing else not wardrobe or lighting or location just technique.

thanks

Steve

Jun 07 09 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Images 2, 3, and 4 from the bottom are photographed by Mr. August Bradley. He is a member here on MM and I got to meet him at Sifu Ayola's studio party. smile

If you visit Mr. Bradley's website or google him, you can find a video clip of the behind the scenes with classical music playing in the background.

Jun 07 09 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Thomas James Dean wrote:

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/masters/ma … ation.aspx

Jun 07 09 01:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

The Louis Vuitton Richards one is available in two (or more) variants, with items/object moved between the two. It's been discussed on MM before, showing two different versions.

The 5th one (Victrola) is from August Bradley (See interview with August Bradley in imaginginfo magazine.)

The others use a lot of different approaches as well.

As has been repeatedly stated; there are a wide range of techniques used in the images shown. Perhaps narrowing it down to one 'look' might be more helpful.

Jun 07 09 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I could have possibly answered the op's question regarding effects/retouching/image manipulation if I had found the originators of the work I saw today at a end of year university students show case.

Very similar effects.

Jun 07 09 01:18 pm Link