Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Model Instincts wrote:
Student licensing costs 1/10 of the retail PS.

It's good; it's not that good. smile

Retail Photoshop CS4 Extended is around $900; the retail non-Extended version is around $650; the CS4 Educational version is around $300 (available in Extended only); the Student version (available in Extended only) is around $200. The Student version only permits one installation; the others permit two, as long as they're not concurrently used.

Tim Foster wrote:
And it's just that. Student licensing. Which means you can't use it in a commercial capacity.

ImagesRetouched wrote:
I was about to mention the fact that getting it at with an educational/student discount also comes with limiting usage rights.

Oddly enough, while this is incorrect for Tim, it is correct for ImagesRetouched.

The North American licensing for Student versions is different than for New Zealand, UK, and most of the rest of the world.

You must qualify to buy it, but the contents are the same. (Sometimes they don't include some of the stock art and other 'extras', but the software is identical.)

Adobe introduced a new Student version in CS4, which does have more limitations than their Educational/Academic versions. According to Adobe's Student Edition FAQ

Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?

In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only.

(The UK FAQ, for example, says: "Student Edition products may not be used for commercial gain."

Prior to CS4, there was no distinction between 'student' and 'educator'; the price for an instructor was the same as for a student, no commercial limits were imposed, and it had the same installation limits--two non-concurrently used computers (laptop/desktop, office/work, etc.) Now, the 'Student' edition is even cheaper while the 'Educator' isn't as heavily discounted--but there are more restrictions on the Student version as well.

Jun 09 09 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

Model Instincts wrote:
Student licensing costs 1/10 of the retail PS.

It's good; it's not that good. smile

Retail Photoshop CS4 Extended is around $900; the retail non-Extended version is around $650; the CS4 Educational version is around $300 (available in Extended only); the Student version (available in Extended only) is around $200. The Student version only permits one installation; the others permit two, as long as they're not concurrently used.

Tim Foster wrote:
And it's just that. Student licensing. Which means you can't use it in a commercial capacity.

ImagesRetouched wrote:
I was about to mention the fact that getting it at with an educational/student discount also comes with limiting usage rights.

Oddly enough, while this is incorrect for Tim, it is correct for ImagesRetouched.

The North American licensing for Student versions is different than for New Zealand, UK, and most of the rest of the world.

You must qualify to buy it, but the contents are the same. (Sometimes they don't include some of the stock art and other 'extras', but the software is identical.)

Adobe introduced a new Student version in CS4, which does have more limitations than their Educational/Academic versions. According to Adobe's Student Edition FAQ
(The UK FAQ, for example, says: "Student Edition products may not be used for commercial gain."

Prior to CS4, there was no distinction between 'student' and 'educator'; the price for an instructor was the same as for a student, no commercial limits were imposed, and it had the same installation limits--two non-concurrently used computers (laptop/desktop, office/work, etc.) Now, the 'Student' edition is even cheaper while the 'Educator' isn't as heavily discounted--but there are more restrictions on the Student version as well.

I wasn't implying the software was different. I guess I should have said you cannot LEGALLY use the software in a commercial capacity. Have you read the North American EULA in full (I haven't; I don't have an educational license)? I would be surprised if it doesn't contain some limitations for commercial use.

Jun 09 09 07:31 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Tim Foster wrote:
I guess I should have said you cannot LEGALLY use the software in a commercial capacity. Have you read the North American EULA in full (I haven't; I don't have an educational license)? I would be surprised if it doesn't contain some limitations for commercial use.

Yes, I have read the NA EULA in full. I also provided a link to Adobe's FAQ about student usage, and quoted Adobe's statement about what is and is not permitted:

Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?

In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only.

That's straight from Adobe. See the link for more details, like whether it can be upgraded to a commercial version (yes); whether it can be used after the student leaves school (yes); who is eligible to purchase; etc.

Jun 09 09 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Fair enough. Go for it, then.

Jun 09 09 07:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sareena does hair

Oakland, California, US

What do you guys mean by you cant use the student version for commercial purposes. does that mean there's a limit to how many pictures you can retouch? Does it mean you cant retouch it to the point where it looks like it's in a magazine? What does it mean exactly?

Jun 09 09 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI COMMERCIAL

San Francisco, California, US

Sareena Whitney Davis wrote:
What do you guys mean by you cant use the student version for commercial purposes. does that mean there's a limit to how many pictures you can retouch? Does it mean you cant retouch it to the point where it looks like it's in a magazine? What does it mean exactly?

Commercial purpose means to make money.

Jun 09 09 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Sareena Whitney Davis wrote:

Read the posts. The software is the same. The usage rights are usually not.

Jun 10 09 09:53 am Link

Photographer

coraxphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Depends on how deep you want to get into retouching and how much money you have to spend.  Adobe has been the industry standard, but there are others out there as well.  Gimp is free and has already been mentioned, so why not at least check it out before buying something.  If Adobe, you are probably looking at buying Elements right now.  Download a trial and try it out and see how well it works for you.  You might also want to download a trial of Corel's Paint Shop Pro X2 and give it a whirl.  It's cheaper than Adobe and some people like the interface/navigation better.  Bottom line is--don't purchase software without downloading and using a free trial version of it first.  There are several options, and you should try several and go with what you like using.  If you aren't going to be doing lots of in-depth editing, you don't have to go with Adobe because you're supposed to, as you might like something else better for your uses. 

Also, while software shopping, you may want to see what kinds of plug-ins are out there that may do something you want specifically.  But, that's more money to plunk down...

Jun 10 09 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Roy Whiddon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

You can qualify for the student version by taking a course (to learn Photoshop, for example) at a community college or other accredited school. All you really need is a student ID. When you register/activate the software, you have to enter your student info; you can pick "other" for the graduation date. You will save enough on CS4 to pay for the course (and then some).

Jun 10 09 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

pub

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Post hidden on Jun 10, 2009 10:34 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Rule 13 after warning.

Jun 10 09 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Whiddon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Paul Byun wrote:
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I didn't tell you this.

And you didn't read the Moderator Notes earlier in this thread either!

Jun 10 09 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

pub

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

RW Photo Art wrote:

And you didn't read the Moderator Notes earlier in this thread either!

Nope. This site seems to have really strict moderators. I can careless. This person wants to know where to find adobe free, so I shared my knowledge.
as simple as that.

Jun 10 09 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Paul Byun wrote:

Nope. This site seems to have really strict moderators. I can careless. This person wants to know where to find adobe free, so I shared my knowledge.
as simple as that.

Keep it up and you'll be banned.

Jun 11 09 09:54 pm Link