Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Ramifications with tranform tool?

Photographer

Jamie Johnstone

Seattle, Washington, US

In some of my images that I felt had a slightly crammed/squished feel I have used the transform tool to stretch the image vertically.  Nothing major, if done it is usually the minimum I have found to be allowed using the transform tool.  I can imagine this is not ideal for the image, but are there any serious ramifications to doing so? 

I have seen this done by some industry professionals, although I am sure it is something to try to avoid as well... but does it cause serious harm?  Also, I may wrong in assuming they use the same technique to get the end result...

Jun 06 09 04:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Retoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

Pixel stretching overall quality downgrade. If it's not noticeable and makes the image better then do it. However, an image shouldn't be squished unless someone resized it that way .  I use the free transform tool for resizing,shaping,or aligning small objects.

- Phen

Jun 06 09 04:55 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

If you must, I'd suggest making the image smaller rather than bigger (squish the sides rather than stretch top to bottom).  You'll get a better result that way, versus trying to create more pixels.

Jun 06 09 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Use Content Aware Scale transforming, or select a non-essential portion of the image & stretch that section...

Paul

Jun 06 09 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jamie Johnstone

Seattle, Washington, US

KKP Retouching wrote:
If you must, I'd suggest making the image smaller rather than bigger (squish the sides rather than stretch top to bottom).  You'll get a better result that way, versus trying to create more pixels.

Didn't think of that, makes sense.  Good point.

Jun 06 09 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

When you resize you should press and hold the shift key to maintain the proportions, or you could crop your image and you wont have to worry about the image distortion you get from the transform tool.  Oh, also, converting a layer to a smart object before you transform will minimize  distortion.

Jun 06 09 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jamie Johnstone

Seattle, Washington, US

Belk Media Group wrote:
When you resize you should press and hold the shift key to maintain the proportions, or you could crop your image and you wont have to worry about the image distortion you get from the transform tool.  Oh, also, converting a layer to a smart object before you transform will minimize  distortion.

Sorry, but you missed the point of the thread...

Jun 07 09 12:21 am Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

San Diego, California, US

MasPhen wrote:
Pixel stretching overall quality downgrade. If it's not noticeable and makes the image better then do it. However, an image shouldn't be squished unless someone resized it that way .  I use the free transform tool for resizing,shaping,or aligning small objects.

- Phen

Doesnt it depend on the quality of the original file? If the file is high quality, then stretching it shouldn't affect it too much. Right Phen?

Jun 07 09 01:44 am Link