Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Question for Hairstylists

Model

K-a-t-r-i-n-a

Newburyport, Massachusetts, US

Ok, here's my problem and question: I have long silky thin hair. My hair gets oily around the afternoon and it starts looking limp. Can you please make a suggestion as to what kind of shampoo would work well with my hair type? I use head and shoulders right now, but I hate it. It makes my hair so limp and heavy.

May 06 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

K-a-t-r-i-n-a wrote:
Ok, here's my problem and question: I have long silky thin hair. My hair gets oily around the afternoon and it starts looking limp. Can you please make a suggestion as to what kind of shampoo would work well with my hair type? I use head and shoulders right now, but I hate it. It makes my hair so limp and heavy.

your hair is fine

May 06 06 07:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

It might because you are using a cheap shampoo. I style hair, but I am not a hairdresser, so I am not totally versed on the total haircare thing.

Have you tried switching to a higher-end shampoo. I like alterna and redken. A lot of high end brands make specific shampoos for thin hair to make it look thicker.

Do you also have dandruff?

May 06 06 09:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Check out the Bumble and Bumble's hair powders for absorbing oil mid day or the next day.

Also, look into Redken's Body Full shampoo.

May 06 06 09:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

00siris wrote:

your hair is fine

What is this about???  That's why not many people take this forum seriously.  Come on now.

May 06 06 10:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
What is this about???  That's why not many people take this forum seriously.  Come on now.

I think he means fine as in thin(correct me if i'm wrong)....like in spanish we say ....tiene el cabello fino/finito.

What is the correct term? fine or thin or both?

May 06 06 11:12 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Check out the Bumble and Bumble's hair powders for absorbing oil mid day or the next day.

Also, look into Redken's Body Full shampoo.

I have been looking for the Bumble and Bumble spray on powder and can't find it, even googled!  Does anyone know where I can get it?

May 06 06 02:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

It was a while ago when I was looking for it, I guess it's everywhere now, found it...

May 06 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

K-a-t-r-i-n-a

Newburyport, Massachusetts, US

hahah thanks guys, and I used to have dry scalp due to another shampoo... but I'm definitely looking into getting salon shampoo.

May 06 06 03:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

if you are seriously a model, you need to maintain your hair, skin, nails, figure, etc.
it is the product that YOU are selling.

i am not saying you have to get a $500 hair cut and buy super expensive shampoo, but to use a high end/salon brand is just common sense. most drugstore shampoo and conditioner brands just make hair problems worse and that is pretty common knowledge. i have yet to use a drugstore brand that did not make my hair look like i had slept in my car for a week.

you should book an appointment and a consultation with somebody who understands the stress that is put on model's hair, who can recommend products and procedures for it. in other words, don't go to fantastic sams.

May 07 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Hey there, I did hair for over a dozen years. There will likely be SOME trial and error as you search for the right shampoo. One common misconception is to get a harsh shampoo to 'strip the oil out...', but most scalps will react to this stripping by making... MORE OIL. So try a 'gentle' shampoo as opposed to a 'deep cleansing' shampoo. You are trying to find a 'balance' of oil production that will last all day. If you have a really greasy head it may be a tough challenge to find this balance. Head & Shoulders is a specialty item for dry scalp/dandruff. If you DO have that, you could try a Tea Tree s'poo or Nioxin (which just happens to work well on flaky scalps) or other brand of 'dandruff' shampoo. If you don't have that, quit using the H&S.

Most pro salons carry only a couple of lines, and they'll be biased but likely KNOWLEDGEABLE (at least about the stuff they carry). buy a small bottle and ask for samples of others; some companies still offer them.

Good luck to you!

May 07 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Anna Michelle

Pensacola, Florida, US

AnnieStyle wrote:

I have been looking for the Bumble and Bumble spray on powder and can't find it, even googled!  Does anyone know where I can get it?

I read in a magazine once that you can use ordinary baby powder. I've never tried it b/c my hair is so dry that i could go a whole week w/o my hair looking oily if i wanted to.

May 07 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Laya M

San Francisco, California, US

I've tried the baby powder, and wouldn't recommend it.  Since there's no way to spray it, you almost have to tap it into your roots.  It sticks, there's clumps..  Ugh!  But if you can't see the clumps, it does dry up the oil.
I have the same problem with my hair "dying."  What works best for me is the time-tested: flip head over, hairspray roots, hit it with the hair dryer, and brush LIGHTLY, only enough to give the appearance that your hair isn't tangled.  If you brush it all smooth, the volume is lost.  It works best when you do it in sections also, starting from the top down.
If you start having problems mid-shoot, and can't take a minute to fix your hair, just toss your head around like crazy.  I do this a lot, and try to only run my fingers through the areas that look really bad (again, too much brushing, even finger-brushing, takes the fabricated volume out).  Sometimes it hurts the shot, but a few times it's really made it.
One more tip, when you have a chance (at home, etc.), practice the hair flip in a mirror a few times.  It's good to know where your hair falls, so that when you don't have access to a mirror you still have a good idea of what your hair might look like.
smile!

May 09 06 05:22 am Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

Pazza_x_Trucco wrote:

I think he means fine as in thin(correct me if i'm wrong)....like in spanish we say ....tiene el cabello fino/finito.

What is the correct term? fine or thin or both?

Fine hair reffers to wach hair being gine (girth).  Thin hair reffers to not having a lot of hair (bolding or just not enough...

May 14 06 10:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Michael David Gallego

Pasadena, California, US

Kat,use a clrarifying shampoo with a light conditioner [pro quality]and easy on the finnish prodcts......MDG

May 16 06 06:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Luis Santiago wrote:

Fine hair reffers to wach hair being gine (girth).  Thin hair reffers to not having a lot of hair (bolding or just not enough...

Thanks Luis

May 16 06 07:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

HEY!! I rather like the "slept in the car for a week" anti-coif.

I can't speak to it's suitability for photography but I sometimes buy something called PSSST dry shampoo. I get it at walgreens for about five bucks. It is essentially a fine talc in aerosol form. Basically it does the same thing baby powder would but without the clompy bits because it goes on in a spray. you might want to use sparingly as your hair appears quite dark. mine is light brown at best and it lightens it up a bit.  I had heard that there were coloured hair powders that might alieviate this issue. A quick google brought up "cake's satin sugar hair powder" which is for darker hair. I'm sure that there are more options if one looks hard enough.

May 18 06 07:49 pm Link