Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Green screen question

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

I've been using photoshop for years to make art but have never used a green/blue screen.
I did a shoot today and the backdrop was green specifically so we can edit any background.
My issue is, since it was so green, some of it has reflected onto me as green on the edges of my body, face and hair etc.
How do I go about changing the background?

I cheated with one pic and chose a green background.
Then changed the tones of green on myself to a more purple looking tone to match the other purples of the image.
But I wouldn't like to do this for every pic.
https://fc06.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/157/9/4/__one_planet_at_a_time___by_Countess_Grotesque.jpg

Also even if I get rid of the green tones on myself, what are the tricks to changing the background with PS anyway?

I currently either cut myself out or the background out to change it. Is this the best method or are there easier or more effective ways?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks smile

Jun 06 09 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Sounds like the light was splashing/spilling back onto you. How close to the screen were you?

Jun 06 09 09:18 am Link

Photographer

jimo66

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

selection tool is best for cutting out, but when the green reflects it becomes long tedious work to cut out.

then you need to work on the skin tones to correct them'

i use white BG on brunettes and black Bg on blondes

edit: i can see the green reflected on the thigh makes for a lot of work

Jun 06 09 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shooting on a green screen is an art in itself.

Lighting the screen evenly without letting any of it's reflected light spill on the model is most important, as you have discovered.

Just because the background is green, doesn't necessarily mean that it will do what you hope it will.

KM

Jun 06 09 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Carnival of Photography

Dyersburg, Tennessee, US

I have found that using a Medium Grey background that is well lit works great for most all shots. There are many ways to change the background in Photoshop but I now use a PS plugin called Fluid mask. I can change backgrounds in a matter of seconds.

http://www.vertustech.com/index.htm

Jun 06 09 09:23 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Do you think I should suggest scrap the green screen idea full stop next time then?

I normally shoot myself on white to edit background but with a photographer we both were using green for the first time.

I was about half a meter or so away from the green. In real life it wasn't so bright but my face definitely took a lot of the green in some of the pics.

Thanks for the tips so far, I appreciate them.

Jun 06 09 09:25 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

i Rock Photo wrote:
I have found that using a Medium Grey background that is well lit works great for most all shots. There are many ways to change the background in Photoshop but I now use a PS plugin called Fluid mask. I can change backgrounds in a matter of seconds.

http://www.vertustech.com/index.htm

Looks interesting, I'll have to give that a go. thanks

Jun 06 09 09:26 am Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Reflection/spill from the background is the photographer's mistake.  I personally think a grey background is the easiest to mask from.  As far as what to do with the existing photos, send it to an expert if you want the background changed realistically.

There are already a couple threads on changing the background- try the search.

Jun 06 09 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Green/Blue screen is not dificult to do. Use the best plugin there is for Photoshop and you can even get rid of the green triough soap bubbles or flying hair with a few clicks.

http://www.bluescreen.com/software/index.html

Jun 06 09 12:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Elite Retouch

New York, New York, US

This happens a lot more than you'd think. Just put a H&S adjustment layer over top of the image, and do a strong green reduction. then mask out the green spills. After that, you can begin removing the background.

Jun 06 09 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hall

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

green screen: bad idea regardless of distance

Jun 06 09 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Shooting on a green screen is an art in itself.

Lighting the screen evenly without letting any of it's reflected light spill on the model is most important, as you have discovered.

Just because the background is green, doesn't necessarily mean that it will do what you hope it will.

KM

Very true and for non-video purposes white or grey backgrounds are often easier to work with.

Jun 06 09 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Liz Caldwell

Riverside, California, US

Use the color replace tool (Edit>Adjustments>replace color)... select an area of the skin that has bleed, then click in the result color square, another menu will come up, take the slider on the right  from the greens to the reds.  That should cancel out the green, but you may have to do it a few times for different areas.  Oh, always keep the fuzziness low tongue

Jun 06 09 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here is a youtube video on cleaning up green screen spill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pf1Q2-R0ck

I have not tried this out, but it seems to work in the video.

Jun 06 09 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Whiddon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Countess_Grotesque wrote:
I was about half a meter or so away from the green. In real life it wasn't so bright but my face definitely took a lot of the green in some of the pics.

Half a metre is quite close to the background, and you will get the colour reflecting onto you. I haven't tried a green screen, but I would guess that it would work if you are far enough away (try 2 metres, perhaps) and have separate lighting on you vs. the background. And don't overlight the background.

Of course, this doesn't help your current situation, and I'm not a Photoshop expert to improve on the advice already given.

Jun 06 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

Do you think I should suggest scrap the green screen idea full stop next time then?

I normally shoot myself on white to edit background but with a photographer we both were using green for the first time.

thats definetely the problem, with green screen you need to try to get 6-7ft OR MORE if possible away from the screen to prevent that green color cast

Jun 06 09 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Ahhh yes, the ol' green screen splash.  There is a cure.  You need two lights (well, I use two) with magenta gel filters.  Backlight both magenta lights on the subject, light your green screen as normal and light your subject as normal.  Problem solved have fun.

Jun 06 09 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Belk Media Group wrote:
Ahhh yes, the ol' green screen splash.  There is a cure.  You need two lights (well, I use two) with magenta gel filters.  Backlight both magenta lights on the subject, light your green screen as normal and light your subject as normal.  Problem solved have fun.

I like this idea. It seems it would make for the most contrast between the subject and the background. That would make it easiest to select/erase the background.

Otherwise, it's a matter of making sure the lighting is the best you can get it paying careful attention to the colors on the subject vs the background. After that, it's just a matter of doing your selections and tweaking them.

Jun 07 09 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Watch this movie on how to remove Green Fringe.
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/GreenS … ter_SM.mov

Jun 07 09 10:35 am Link

Photographer

just RICH

Sacramento, California, US

in the future just make sure you are further away from the background so that there is no spillage (think 10m or so distance, which means you need a bigger screen)  i use 4 1k lights to evenly light up the background.

Jun 07 09 04:05 pm Link