Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Best method for retouching seamless backgrounds

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo Photo

Simi Valley, California, US

What is the best way of retouching a seamless background? More specifically, any tricks on how to even out the gradation effectively? I know I'll probably have to rebuild the digital noise so it looks natural and that isn't a problem. I haven't shot seamless a lot until recently so I could use some pointers.

I tried heavily using Gaussian blur and then adding noise in an overlay layer to match the previous luminosity noise inherent of my camera at iso 100.

For example, this image of mine
https://www.angelolorenzophoto.com/forums/forumseamless.jpg

With Gaussian blur - acceptable way of doing things?
https://www.angelolorenzophoto.com/forums/forumseamless2.jpg

Jun 05 09 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

that was actually a smart idea i like the effect, i think i am going to try that,

i have been cloning out the huge problems then depending on the color of the backdrop white grey or black i use a curves adjustment using either highlights, midtones or shadows to even the color and mask the model...

but i like your technique better

Jun 05 09 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looks like you did a pretty good job.

Another method I would recommend is a set of curves adjustment layers that brighten in one set and darkens in the other. Mask both off with black and paint in the effect with a soft white brush (low opacity and flow). You can use a solarizing curve and/or a black fill layer set to color with another black fill layer set to either softlight or overlay (I usually cycle back and forth), to assist in evening out the tones.

Jun 05 09 11:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I tried heavily using Gaussian blur and then adding noise in an overlay layer to match the previous luminosity noise inherent of my camera at iso 100.

For example, this image of mine
https://www.angelolorenzophoto.com/forums/forumseamless.jpg

With Gaussian blur - acceptable way of doing things?
https://www.angelolorenzophoto.com/forums/forumseamless2.jpg

I think your work look good. I would also use the clone and healing tool and then use Gaussian Blur all on separate layers and then reduce the effect so that it looked natural.

Jun 06 09 10:05 am Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

San Diego, California, US

I like your way, it's very nice. I've never done it before but possibly you could...

1. Select>Color Range: Choose your background color.
2. Drop a black/gray gradient.

Maybe that might work.

Jun 07 09 01:47 am Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

this looks pretty good.

i like using clone/healing brushes or the patch tool however i like the result you're getting with this.

gonna have to try using a combination of both.

Jun 07 09 08:56 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I shoot against seamless a lot smile

The blur method is OK if you're desperate, but I tend to use the healing brush on a fairly wide setting - eg. 100px - to get rid of blobs and marks if possible.

Another method I've used is to mask the background then do a bucket or gradient fill with one or more colours from the original background and blend to suit.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Edit: ps. I know this is OT in a retouching forum, but if you store your seamless rolled tight and upright you will have a lot less problems with saggy wrinkles like those in your example.

Jun 07 09 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo Photo

Simi Valley, California, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
Edit: ps. I know this is OT in a retouching forum, but if you store your seamless rolled tight and upright you will have a lot less problems with saggy wrinkles like those in your example.

I store it properly, it was raining that day so I think the humidity made it sag more than it should have normally, thus the fix needed.

Jun 07 09 07:24 pm Link