Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > getting a realistic looking texture

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

So I've sort of gotten to a point where I can get skin to look overall pretty well retouched, but I'm wondering for the more up close shots, how to get a realistic skin texture happening? Anyone have any suggestions?

Jun 05 09 02:40 pm Link

Model

Nikki the pixel NiNja

Montpelier, Ohio, US

theres brushes on deviantart.com for skin texture in case you have to go overboard with retouching so the photowont look too cartoony
just type something like skin texture brush and youll get results
i get all my brushes from there and thats where most of them you get come from anyway

Jun 05 09 02:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

I normally either..

1. Make a texture mask/brush

2. Dodge and burn, there are some good tutorials that I have found for that online and videos. I put them on this retouching forum under a post looking for some good skin tutorials

Jun 05 09 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

hmmm... well I wasn't looking for it as a bandaid for over touching, more as a combo with getting the skin to look flawless and real big_smile

I'm sitting at home tonight working on re-touching becuase I'm a total nerd like that, so I was hoping to find some good worthwhile tutorials to work with smile

Jun 05 09 02:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Kristen Tyler Photo wrote:
hmmm... well I wasn't looking for it as a bandaid for over touching, more as a combo with getting the skin to look flawless and real big_smile

I'm sitting at home tonight working on re-touching becuase I'm a total nerd like that, so I was hoping to find some good worthwhile tutorials to work with smile

wait a second.. I'll go find some links tongue

Jun 05 09 03:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Here's the thread I left the links to skin retouching on
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=459208

Dodge and burn is a slow technique and takes time.. but it is well worth it smile

Jun 05 09 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Weee thank you! big_smile
I'll check these out this eve.

I don't quite get how dodging and burning can create a texture though??

guess i'll go read smile

Jun 05 09 03:12 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Weee thank you! big_smile
I'll check these out this eve.

I don't quite get how dodging and burning can create a texture though??

guess i'll go read smile

No problem smile

And it can.. have a look at the video.. it seems she creates a whole new texture with it.
Otherwise, use a models skin who is already quite good and turn it into a brush.. or there are some here so you can get the idea and feel of it..
http://keepwaiting.deviantart.com/art/S … -118364120

smile

Jun 05 09 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

awesome! yay can't wait to go home and play haha

Jun 05 09 03:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

awesome! yay can't wait to go home and play haha

Jun 05 09 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Lovely work smile

I like how the bottom of that dodge and burn tut that you linked, says "without a wacom this will be painful with a mouse" lol

looks like im in for a long night !!!

Jun 05 09 03:25 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Lovely work smile

I like how the bottom of that dodge and burn tut that you linked, says "without a wacom this will be painful with a mouse" lol

LOL yes it takes a while without a mouse, but the link to the image I posted up there was done by mouse believe it or not.. infact I did that one on my laptop using the mouse pad tongue
Sometimes I choose not to use my wacom.. I like a challenge wink
Oh and thanks by the way big_smile

Jun 05 09 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

EDD PhotoRetoucher wrote:
I normally either..

1. Make a texture mask/brush

2. Dodge and burn, there are some good tutorials that I have found for that online and videos. I put them on this retouching forum under a post looking for some good skin tutorials

im interested in this texture brush, i have a photo of skin i really like...how would i turn that into a brush what would the steps be?

Jun 05 09 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

I would imagine:
1. open the doc with good skin
2. zoom in to find a good patch of skin that you like
3. either take your marquee tool (M) or lasso tool (L) and select the good skin
4. go to the menu bar, click "Edit" -> "Define Brush Preset", name your brush
5. once you've named it, close the "good skin" pic and open the "bad pic"
6. to select the brush you've just created, select your brush tool (B) and on the menu bar, you should see a triangle next the brush information (size/type)...click that drop down menu and you'll see your variety of brushes..
7. scroll down on the menu, until you get to the bottom of the brush pallette...you should see your skin brush there.
8. have fun!

Jun 06 09 12:45 am Link

Photographer

grahamsz

Boulder, Colorado, US

Lovely work smile

Yeah - you definitely need a wacom for much retouching.

If you are into a very nerdy approach then here's my technique. It builds on the technique that sean posted in the first post.

Love the shots you did with von blondie - she's a lot of fun to work with!

Jun 06 09 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

grahamsz wrote:

Yeah - you definitely need a wacom for much retouching.

If you are into a very nerdy approach then here's my technique. It builds on the technique that sean posted in the first post.

Love the shots you did with von blondie - she's a lot of fun to work with!

Well I"ll explore your technique also!!
Wish I could afforda  Wacom sad  sad day...

Thanks for the compliment!! She is a lot of fun to work with...
I will be working with her again very soon!! big_smile

Jun 06 09 09:49 am Link

Photographer

grahamsz

Boulder, Colorado, US

Wish I could afforda  Wacom sad  sad day...

Thanks for the compliment!! She is a lot of fun to work with...
I will be working with her again very soon!! big_smile

I bought mine off craigslist for $50 i think. It's an older graphire 3 but it works pretty well. The bamboo is only $55 on amazon right now.

I'm still slowly figuring this stuff out, but feel free to ping me with any questions

Jun 06 09 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Personally, and IMO, I like this method.

Go though and take out all the blemishes and crap in the skin with whatever you want.

Then go though and air brush over places to smooth out the light and shape the face a little.

Make a high pass from the background and your skin cleanup, apply that over the airbrushing as a softlight or even hard light.

If you really want to get fun, make a copy of that highpass, use curves to make it either white or black, blur it just a tad, then use that as a mask for a darken curves layer.

Also, and to note with hi-pass filters, you can more easily deal with texture on them and the clone stamp works better on them (or can work better).

Jun 06 09 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Kristen Tyler Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

When you guys are referring to "airbrushing"....what method is that exactly?
Or anyone have a tut on it? I may already be "doing" that...but not have the correct terminology.. ha

I agree the high pass is a good call to see everything. I may try that also smile

Jun 06 09 10:18 am Link

Photographer

grahamsz

Boulder, Colorado, US

Or anyone have a tut on it? I may already be "doing" that...but not have the correct terminology.. ha

I agree the high pass is a good call to see everything. I may try that also smile

i haven't seen many people who actually do much airbrushing, i think it's a term held-over from the pre-computer days used to refer to any kind of processing on skin

The technique i'm using splits the low and high frequency data into different layers, so I do sometimes use a colored airbrush on the low frequency layer to try and create an even skintone (if the legs and face don't match).

The other thing that i've seen considered as airbrushing is when you create two curves adjustment layers, make one curve darken and the other curve lighten. Then fill both layers with black and airbrush really low opacity white onto them to accentuate the light and dark.

I've seen some really stellar shots done using that approach, but this is among my best

https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090528/13/4a1eef0d78c9d_m.jpg

Jun 06 09 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Shane C Reed

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

So I've sort of gotten to a point where I can get skin to look overall pretty well retouched, but I'm wondering for the more up close shots, how to get a realistic skin texture happening? Anyone have any suggestions?

its all in how you approach retouching..if you use blur you lose texture...so don't blur ever... i would recommend using dodge and burn and zooming in really close to even out skin and maintain texture...you can also use the patch tool ... and the clone stamp tool set to lighten on a low opacity...

hope this helps you!

Shane

Jun 06 09 10:32 am Link

Retoucher

T H R E E D O T S

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Have you tired sharpening the image before retouching? I do this with all of my closeup shots.

Jun 06 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Shane C Reed wrote:
its all in how you approach retouching..if you use blur you lose texture...so don't blur ever... i would recommend using dodge and burn and zooming in really close to even out skin and maintain texture...you can also use the patch tool ... and the clone stamp tool set to lighten on a low opacity...

hope this helps you!

Shane

I don't really like using the clone or stamp tools on anything less than 100% around details. Since if you use it at a lower opacity and aren't careful you can end up with a bunch of muddy details and tones.

Although depending on the image (lines around the eyes and stuff), I'll do that, but that's really about it.

Jun 06 09 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

New layer, sample a skin tone, paint over the skin with that tone using a brush at like 5-8%, and then put a hi-pass over that.

threedots wrote:
Have you tired sharpening the image before retouching? I do this with all of my closeup shots.

I tried that once, spent $200 on prints, learned that I was sharpening too much.

Jun 06 09 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

grahamsz

Boulder, Colorado, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:
I don't really like using the clone or stamp tools on anything less than 100% around details. Since if you use it at a lower opacity and aren't careful you can end up with a bunch of muddy details and tones.

Although depending on the image (lines around the eyes and stuff), I'll do that, but that's really about it.

That's pretty much what i do. I split the low frequency onto one layer and the high frequency onto another layer. Then i can blur the low frequency all i want, and use a 100% clone tool to clean up the high frequency layer

Jun 06 09 05:03 pm Link