Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Reasons why a retoucher might get declined by MM?

Photographer

Sarah Kate Photography

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

I know I'm just setting myself up for the 'cause you're crap' response, but let's try to be civilized. If that's the reason, I can live with that, but I'm looking for OTHER things I might have overlooked.

I was trying to open up a PS Wizard's profile here on MM a little while ago, and I kept getting declined. I checked the rules, and it didn't say a lot except that you needed skill. I'm by no means a Picasso of pixels, but I didn't think I was awful enough for them to straight out decline me, so I'm looking for other possible reasons. Do they not like you to have only befores and afters in your portfolio? Do they not like you to have only your own photos? Is a retoucher's profile harder to have approved & do they only accept really good people? My photographer's profile was approved on the first go, so I thought the decline button was something they only hit if you were just going to be wasting space. Thoughts?

Jun 04 09 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

We would need to see the images you posted.  What was your PS Wizard mayhem#?

Jun 04 09 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sounds like a question for the mods...CAM it.

Jun 04 09 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

You can log back into that PS Wizard account, open a CAM, and you will likely get the best response about why that specific profile was denied. smile

Also, be sure to reread the General Requirements, not just the ones specific to PS Wizard?

Jun 04 09 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sarah Kate Photography

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

JLC Images wrote:
We would need to see the images you posted.  What was your PS Wizard mayhem#?

I don't have a clue, my profile was declined a long time ago. I'm really just asking for general problems others might have had in having their profiles approved that I can consider, aside from just jolly well doing some better work.

Jun 04 09 04:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoli Retouch

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I wouldn't say as a retoucher that "I'm the best thing since sliced bread" but my account got approved straight away.
If you followed the rules, uploaded the four photos needed to start an account, I cant see why you would have an issue.

Jun 04 09 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

I can tell you as a gatekeeper the main reasons I do not approve PS Wizards

-Does not have 4 pictures with people in them
-Their images do not reflect skill in PS
-Images are snapshots of them hanging out in the yard or in a bar drinking (Yes, this is very common)

Jun 04 09 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

JLC Images wrote:

-Images are snapshots of them hanging out in the yard or in a bar drinking (Yes, this is very common)

I guess that one is subject to opinion because I've seen some really crap retouchers on MM.

Jun 04 09 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JLC Images wrote:

In addition to what JLC has stated, I'd add:

- doesn't have minimum of 4 photos featuring adults as the subject.  Kids don't count.  Flowers don't count.  Cars don't count.
- images or elements of the photos are copyrighted by someone else
  (ie: a photo of a celebrity)
- trademark infringement
  (using logos of companies to create an ad or poster that wasn't authorized by the company).
- Simple edits like converting a color image to B&W, or adding a fog filter effect, or changing the brightness and contrast of a whole image.

Surprisingly, the PS images that get the highest and quickest approval ratings from me (and probably the other gatekeepers) are the images that have subtle changes (ie: pimples, scars, and/or shadows removed). Those types of images normally don't appear as if they've been edited at all... which is the way it should be!

PS Wiz profiles that have many extreme changes and effects often fall into a different category (Artist) if they're good, while others with such changes and effects are just so bad that they can't be accepted.

Jun 04 09 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

KillerShotz Photography wrote:

I guess that one is subject to opinion because I've seen some really crap retouchers on MM.

It is rough because we want to let in people of all skill levels.  It is just like people calling themselves a model or photographer.  The basics need to be there and the use of people in the images are of utmost importance.

Jun 04 09 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Skill is one thing proven to be unneeded for a retoucher account.

Jun 04 09 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

JLC Images wrote:

Wow, just wow.

Jun 04 09 06:33 pm Link

Artist/Painter

E Clark 2

Hamilton, Ohio, US

I couldn't get one approved either. Eventually I phased out my illustrated work here and replaced it with the heavier edits in this port.

At the time I figured it was because I already had 2 ports here, even though I know of others with more than that. Worked out fine for me though.

Jun 04 09 07:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

MinisterC  wrote:

Skill is not required to get a photographer account approved either, and beauty, grace, poise, and so-on aren't required to get a model account approved.

While I haven't been on gatekeeper duty in a while, when I was doing so, the group with the largest rate of rejection was the 'Photoshop Wizard' one.

Jun 04 09 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

E Clark 2 wrote:
I couldn't get one approved either. Eventually I phased out my illustrated work here and replaced it with the heavier edits in this port.

At the time I figured it was because I already had 2 ports here, even though I know of others with more than that. Worked out fine for me though.

Unless it's mentioned in the profile that you're uploading, Gatekeepers don't have any information about any other accounts that you may or may not have.

Jun 04 09 08:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

I'm not sure what would get you declined as a retoucher because it seems to me like anyone gets approved regardless of actual skill. Maybe its the same things that photographers and models get declined for, not enough professional pictures or too many of the same images?

Maybe there should be a test image for retouchers like the beauty shot that was posted as a contest... That way they can judge your retouching and other members can see how you would perform on a level playing field.

Jun 04 09 09:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Pickyme

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, US

MinisterC  wrote:

hmmm..........

Jun 04 09 10:09 pm Link

Retoucher

CS Toledo

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

btdsgn wrote:
I'm not sure what would get you declined as a retoucher because it seems to me like anyone gets approved regardless of actual skill. Maybe its the same things that photographers and models get declined for, not enough professional pictures or too many of the same images? ...

Got declined for over a month. The reasons were:
1) Do I have the permission to retouch the photos on my port?
The answer is yes, I do. In fact, most of them are from my own shoot(I photograph too), except a few from my brother.
2) Because of this: https://th08.deviantart.com/fs43/300W/f/2009/141/f/0/Traumaphobic_Magazine_by_traumaphobic_BA.jpg. She was holding an Allure magazine insert.
The solution: I deleted it.

So I guess it's not because of the actual skill. I've seen Photoshop Wizard ports that makes you think they must've been retouched by an MS Paint Wizard. Sorry but it's true.

btdsgn wrote:
...Maybe there should be a test image for retouchers like the beauty shot that was posted as a contest... That way they can judge your retouching and other members can see how you would perform on a level playing field.

+1.

Jun 04 09 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

I believe most gatekeepers do try and put a higher standard to PS Wizard.  It is also hard for us sometimes to separate skill and personal taste.    You also have to remember this site is also for the amateur artist.  This is a growing community and not everyone can be at the top of their industry.  At what point would testing people stop?   Do we make the tests harder as more people join?  If we tested every account would everyone in this thread pass for their catagory?

I think most people on this site would not be so hard on them if the name was changed in the place of "Wizard".

Jun 04 09 10:25 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

I had to add a couple photos with more exaggerated retouching, not just a hint of skin cleanup and contrast to great images that only needed a little bit of work.  So, I uploaded my pinup one and got in no problem.

Jun 06 09 12:46 pm Link

Retoucher

UltraviolethRetouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

I got accepted the first time as a ps wizard,
even though, the pictures I added were horrible.

Jun 06 09 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i think its because you live on the bottom of the world, all your pictures show up upside-down.

scary

smile

Jun 06 09 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

Skill is not required to get a photographer account approved either, and beauty, grace, poise, and so-on aren't required to get a model account approved.

While I haven't been on gatekeeper duty in a while, when I was doing so, the group with the largest rate of rejection was the 'Photoshop Wizard' one.

Still true for me. To often I like the before shots more than the after. LOL!

Jun 06 09 06:03 pm Link