Forums > General Industry > Managers...ugh...

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

This isn't quite a dead horse.  I tried searching and reading some of the threads and my head just about exploded...lots of legalese stuff that is way over me.

Here's the situation, I know someone (a model, and we'll call her Mo) that has become friends with another model(we'll call her Jo).  This model has apparently been screwed over by her previous manager.  From what I was told, sounds like a total Sluggo arrangement.  Apparantly, everything she had (portfoliowise, website, etc) is owned by him so she has nothing.  I've agreed to help get her back on her feet with a TFCD session.  Which is interesting because I met her last February and we talked about shooting this summer anyhow, ha!

Ok, now, the other model that I know is now calling herself a manager.  She's going to manage this new girl.  Get her gigs, hook her up with photographers, etc.  And I think she's expecting a cut (that's heresay from another friend that first told me about this arrangment).

When I arranged Jo's shoot through Mo and learned directly that Mo is her "manager" I told her that Jo doesn't need a manager.  She just needs good friends she can trust.  Just be her friend and watch out for her.  Mo kind of brushed that off like it's no big deal to be a manager. Neither of us brought up the issue of compensation for jobs Jo may get through Mo.

Ok, with that background (sorry, I'm not much of a story teller), next week is our shoot.  Gonna be with these two for probably 6 to 8 hours total.  there's going to be plenty of time to talk shop.  Even though Mo is a friend, I don't want her inadvertantly screwing another model because she has no clue to what she's doing.  Mo is a smart girl, but I bet she hasn't given a single thought about contracts, what is legal and not legal, etc.  I think she's seeing $$ and what an easy way to make money.  Get a girl a job, get a cut from that job.  Easy money! And, I want Jo to realize that she doesn't need a manager.  She can do this on her own and if anything, hook up with a licensed agency.

Any advice?

May 05 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Portradamus

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Sticky situation. You have a moral obligation towards the less experienced girl, but on the other hand she should be smart enough to see the truth by herself. The manager girl should know better than exploiting somebody who needs help. I would say stay in the clear and let them sort it out by themselves. They are both adults (I assume) so it is something they need to rezolve.

May 05 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Let them work the arrangement for a while.  Tell the girl she should trial it for 3-5 months and see if the manager can really land her work.  You know - maybe she can, and maybe this IS a good thing?

If the manager is actually going to market this model, make a hard target effort to get her work, then its a win-win.  However if the manager just ends up leeching of of paid shoots that the model landed via a modelling websit, then the manager can be dumped.

Just tell your friend to not commit to a long term deal and to set a specific milestone to evaluate progress.  It also wouldn't hurt to suggest the model sit down with the manager and map out specific goals (i.e. manager brings in x number of jobs over x number of weeks).

May 05 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Avicdar wrote:
If the manager is actually going to market this model, make a hard target effort to get her work, then its a win-win.  However if the manager just ends up leeching of of paid shoots that the model landed via a modelling websit, then the manager can be dumped.

I need to find it again, but I believe that I read somewhere that in CA, managers are not allowed to seek work.  They can act as a liason between the model and an agency, but they are not allowed to actually get them work (which is the job of a licensed Agency).  If this is true, what my friend, Mo, is trying to do is not even legally binding, correct?

May 05 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

V Jeero

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

typo

May 05 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

V Jeero

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

My experience, neither will end up doing anything, the new model will get hyped up and let down, not screwed out of money.

I'm going to make a generalization, and if you're the exception, then it obviously doesn't apply to you.

Models sign up on a site like MM or "the other" and think they're going to make $.  For most, it won't happen.  Period, end of story, go cry about it, yadda yadda yadda.

Those that can make money, never needed MM or "the other" in the first place.

May 05 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
This isn't quite a dead horse.  I tried searching and reading some of the threads and my head just about exploded...lots of legalese stuff that is way over me.

Here's the situation..

4 paragraphs of yada yada yada

Any advice?

Yeah, freeing your life up from and avoiding drama gives you so much more time to shoot.

May 05 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Mo is a smart girl, but I bet she hasn't given a single thought about contracts, what is legal and not legal, etc.

You've gotten some good advice above.  Let me add more to the issue.

You don't say what kind of model this girl is, but I'm assuming she is not an "agency girl" who is qualified to get a real, land-based agency to pursue mainstream work.  (If she is, that's exactly what she should do, and bypass this whole "manager" thing.

But most likely she's not.  She's another Internet glamour model, and the jobs she will get will almost always be with 'net photographers who are going to pay her from their own pockets.  Perhaps, depending on what she's into, she may run across some 'net content shooters, and will have to be prepared for that, but it's very unlikely that she will have to deal with anything more complicated than that.

DigitalCMH wrote:
Mo is a smart girl, but I bet she hasn't given a single thought about contracts, what is legal and not legal, etc.

So I'm not sure this matters too much.  Most of the time she will be asked to sign a full, buyout release for anything she does.  She needs to make that decision up front - no special legal expertise required.  The "what's legal and not legal" issue is mostly one for photographers to confront, not models.

Land-based, licensed agencies are supposed to be prepared to deal with all the complexities that mainstream modeling can throw at you.  I'm not convinced this girl will ever have that problem.

The real problem with sluggos is not so much their incompetence (honestly, it's not rocket science) as it is their personal agendas that keep them from working in the best interests of the models (and perhaps their inability to actually get the models work).   That's less likely to be a problem in this situation, I believe.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm no fan of Internet managers, and hold them in the same disrepute as most others do.  Even so, this particular situation doesn't seem as odious as some of the others.

May 05 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

KM von Seidl wrote:

Yeah, freeing your life up from and avoiding drama gives you so much more time to shoot.

That for sure is 100% truth!  And the only reason I am doing TFCD for this girl is because I had already contacted her about doing it last February before she "disappeared"  I'm giving her a shot.  Plus, she's 5'8" and I want some more tall girls in my port.

May 05 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

TXPhotog wrote:

DigitalCMH wrote:

You've gotten some good advice above.  Let me add more to the issue.

You don't say what kind of model this girl is, but I'm assuming she is not an "agency girl" who is qualified to get a real, land-based agency to pursue mainstream work.  (If she is, that's exactly what she should do, and bypass this whole "manager" thing.

But most likely she's not.  She's another Internet glamour model, and the jobs she will get will almost always be with 'net photographers who are going to pay her from their own pockets.  Perhaps, depending on what she's into, she may run across some 'net content shooters, and will have to be prepared for that, but it's very unlikely that she will have to deal with anything more complicated than that.

So I'm not sure this matters too much.  Most of the time she will be asked to sign a full, buyout release for anything she does.  She needs to make that decision up front - no special legal expertise required.  The "what's legal and not legal" issue is mostly one for photographers to confront, not models.

Land-based, licensed agencies are supposed to be prepared to deal with all the complexities that mainstream modeling can throw at you.  I'm not convinced this girl will ever have that problem.

The real problem with sluggos is not so much their incompetence (honestly, it's not rocket science) as it is their personal agendas that keep them from working in the best interests of the models (and perhaps their inability to actually get the models work).   That's less likely to be a problem in this situation, I believe.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm no fan of Internet managers, and hold them in the same disrepute as most others do.  Even so, this particular situation doesn't seem as odious as some of the others.

Thanks, and I agree.  I'm not sure on her stats, but I believe she is at least 5'8", thin, currently natural breasts, and Korean.  She has a clean look, but so far from her work, it's the typical import scene/internet lingerie/skimpy clothes stuff.

Our plans for next week is some fashion, casual, and then down to the beach for my bikini sunset.

May 05 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

I've just found out that a photographer/manager of this model that I have been wanting to shoot with for over a year now - while pretending to be friendly and promising to arrange for her shoot with me - has been putting up a false front and actually blocking me from working with her.  About a month ago in April/May, he announced that she had quit modeling and moved to another state.  And yet - I've just received a notice today June 8th from OMP (you see, OMP is actually useful for some things!) showing her newly updated portfolio and stating that she is booked through August.

Anyone interested - please write me here on MM and I will give you specifics.

Photographer/Manager = Parasite = Svengali = Manipulator

BE WARNED!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 08 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

lol

Girls with sluggo's, you just have to avoid them no matter how pretty they are.

Jun 08 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

OMG is she stupid!? People who are REAL Model Managers have a License for it!!! *ding ding ding* dumb girls... i can't stand stupid people...

Jun 08 06 07:24 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

It is not necessary for a model who is only seeking TFP shoots and is based solely on Model Mayhem and/or other web sites to have a manager. As long as the photographer and model are acting in good faith, and the only documentation involved is a release form giving the photographer full and irrevocable rights to use the images in any manner, then a manager is simply a waste of money and a potential source of disagreement.

However, when there is money changing hands and/or the activity is governed by a contract, it is advisable to have guidance from an experienced and responsible person. If such advice and support is needed on a regular basis, then it is preferable to be in a manager/client relationship with a clearly defined percentage cut going to the manager than in an ad hoc relationship. At that point, someone with relevant experience, qualifications and business facilities is better placed to be the manager than a well-meaning, but non-expert friend.

Jun 08 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Your approach is probably the best, based on the circumstances you described, but make sure she understands just one thing. Many if not most of the more competent and experienced photographs will simply not work with a model who has a net 'manager'. Most will simply move on to the next model because of past problems they have experienced with amateur managers.

Jun 08 06 11:21 am Link