Forums > General Industry > Wanna-Be Models ... is this a nationwide problem?

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

In Cleveland, we have a problem with a large number of 'models' who will put up images, but when you contact them they dont follow up or even reply to their listings. 

Is this problem limited to this city or is this a problem that is all over?

I like that label of MWS.  I think that some want to SAY that they model but really dont want to work for it, thinking that they are going to be discovered.  Plus, there are a lot of boys who call them models just to flatter these women, for reasons that WE KNOW WHY !!  LOL

I wonder, why post if you are not going to follow through?

May 05 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Whether or not that is a problem is relative.  They are certainly no more a problem than wannabe photographers...

May 05 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

OK, I am too tired this morning to do a search on all the threads we have already had on this topic.  Someone wanna help me out here.

Here are a couple of examples.  Perhaps others can find more:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=43752

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=32985

Actually, this isn't a problem limited to Cleveland.   There are many wonderful people out there who are serious about their craft and there are others who are not.  The bottom line though is that it is a part of the Internet. 

I am not suggesting that it is a good thing, but it is reality.  Good luck to you.

May 05 06 09:23 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

For every 10 wannabes there IS 1 really good model. You just have to keep looking.

May 05 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

With 3600 posts - no wonder Alan is tried { I wonder when and if he works also}.
Some models are like Get Rich Quick - Do nothing wannbes - Gold Diggers - Flakes.
Just like Photographers, MUA's,  M&M posters, and Indian Chiefs.

E L

May 05 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
For every 10 wannabes there IS 1 really good model. You just have to keep looking.

No Claire Elizabeth - it's probably much closer to 1,000 to 1..=*^)

May 05 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

KLiK Graphics

Spring, Texas, US

Maybe the MWSs and GWCs could form their own website. All the pictures could be shot with camera phones, web cams and point-and-shoot cameras. What a high quality site that could be.

May 05 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:
With 3600 posts - no wonder Alan is tried { I wonder when and if he works also}.

I am actually a work-a-holic.  The posts took place over the course of a year.

I am living on my boat and I have an office onboard.  I do most of my editing and stuff from there.  I tend to just have MM on and I look at it every hour or so as a diversion.  I am your classic guy with ADHD.  If I don't have nine things going at once, I get frustrated.

If you watch my posting habits, you will see that sometimes I post often and other times you won't hear from me much for days at a time.  When I shoot, it is either for a couple of hours but mostly things that are scheduled several days at a time down in L.A.  If I am not around, I am working.  You aren't going to see much of me starting today because I am shooting a model who is coming up from L.A. and then all next week another coming from out of town as well.

I see your point though.

May 05 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

ChristerArt wrote:

I didn't realize the odds were that good smile  Just kidding.

There are plenty of great models out there.  You just have to work a little to find them.  And when you come upon one like Claire, or many of the other wonderful ones out there, it makes it worthwhile.

Be patient grasshopper.  It is part of the game.

May 05 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
OK, I am too tired this morning to do a search on all the threads we have already had on this topic.  Here are a couple of examples.  Perhaps others can find more:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=43752

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=32985

Actually, this isn't a problem limited to Cleveland.   There are many wonderful people out there who are serious about their craft and there are others who are not.  The bottom line though is that it is a part of the Internet. 

I am not suggesting that it is a good thing, but it is reality.  Good luck to you.

Thank you.  I see that this is a problem that needs to be corrected.  I have simple solutions that may or may not work, and here is one of them.

When a model or photographer signs up, they have to agree to respond to all who send mail to them and if there are X number of 'No Responses', they get booted.

May 05 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

ChristerArt wrote:

And I would say that is VERY conservitive!

May 05 06 11:08 am Link