Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Replacing a background?

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

I have a standing studio shot of a model and want to replace the white background with an image to contrast the model...how do I inseert the background or layer the model on top?

I tried googling for tutorials or tips, nothing...

Any help?

Jun 02 09 06:09 am Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

http://www.google.com/search?client=fir … gle+Search

Beyond that... remove the white so you can contrast the model? Is she very very white as well?

Jun 02 09 06:17 am Link

Photographer

TheGlamourImage

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Try Fluid Mask 3 http://www.vertustech.com/fm_freetrialUS.htm I've read almost every book on masking hair and it takes too much time.  I've been using this plig-in for about a week and it seems to do the job.

Jun 02 09 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

SuperCrash1

West Hollywood, California, US

I am not a fan of 3rd party masking software, however maybe they have improved as of late. I am a big fan of color range selections to make accurate masks if you have contrast between the subject and the background (i.e. the model is shot on a white background).  Play around with it.

Jun 02 09 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jun 02 09 07:47 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

I always mask by hand- I have yet to find software (even the one on Photoshop) that works for me.

The basics of replacing a background:
1.  Remove the current background by masking
2.  Put a new layer underneath with the image you want to replace the background with
... That's it!

Jun 02 09 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Star

channel mixing to create a layer mask, look at the above tutorial

Jun 02 09 08:39 pm Link

Retoucher

OutsideTheBox Imaging

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Personally I deep-etch all images I replace backgrounds with. If its a white background, it should be pretty easy to do. Make sure to use layers. I just deep-etch out the image I want then paste it onto the desired new background. this method works with both plain backgrounds & busy ones too.
Here's an example of one that I did - deep-etching the bike spokes was an interesting task I must say!
https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090427/23/49f6a72744a6c.jpg

Jun 05 09 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

What do you mean by "deep etching"?

Jun 05 09 12:12 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Yes, do tell...
"deep-etching"??  What happened to "masking"?

Jun 05 09 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There are a number of different ways of doing this. The quickest (though probably the with the poorest results), would be to use the magic wand tool. Blend if sliders can be helpful and you may also want to use the multiply blend mode to eliminate any white fringing.   

I would look into channel masking. The basic idea is to find the channel with the most contrast (for what you want to mask), and use that as a basis for a mask. Since your background is white, all three color channels will have high values in the R, G and B channels. Since your models skin is highest in the R, mostly likely the best chennel will be the B channel as there will be very little blue in his/her skin. You'll also have to consider hair and clothing as well. Duplicate the appropriete channel and get the model to be a solid white and the background to be a solid black. Once you have your mask, duplicate the model onto their own blank layer and use the move tool to drop them into the desired background.

Scott Kelby wrote a book called, "The Photoshop Channels book." Not too bad but if you can get your hands on "Photoshop Channel Chops" by David Bidney and Bert Monroy, you should have a pretty good understanding of channel operations. Also, Katrin Eisman's "Masking and Compositing" should be pretty helpful as well.

Jun 05 09 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Liz Caldwell

Riverside, California, US

PM'ed you.

Jun 05 09 02:18 pm Link

Model

Nikki the pixel NiNja

Montpelier, Ohio, US

if you have phooshop use the selection tool and click on the white background and the take any image and just paste it in.
note: by selecting the background when you add the new background it will not cover up the model.
if the selection tool also selects a small pice of the model (due to lighting or such)
and the background covers a bit of her or him just use the history brush to erase the bit of background that covered them
hope i was a little helpful

Jun 05 09 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Daryn Backal

Victor, New York, US

There is a piece of Software called Fluid mask3.   Cost is $149.00.  WOW is it amazing for doing what you are looking to do.

www.vertustech.com

Jun 05 09 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel LaHaie

Fairview, Oregon, US

Daryn Backal wrote:
There is a piece of Software called Fluid mask3.   Cost is $149.00.  WOW is it amazing for doing what you are looking to do.

www.vertustech.com

I have fluid mask and I use it everyday. On about 98% of the photos I use this program on, I still have to go back and mask out some parts that the program left behind. Mind you I have no problem with this as it has cut my masking time considerably. It use to take a half hour or so to make a cutout, now it takes a couple of minutes(and that includes the time to hand mask out some parts).

Well worth the money in my book.

Jun 05 09 03:12 pm Link

Retoucher

Will Mottram Imaging

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Deep-etching has been the most reliable and precise way of removing an object from a background for as long I can remember, its a term used in the trade.
Deep-etching is the method used in the print media and graphic design industries which was taught to us personally by Adobe over 14 years ago, even before layer masks were available in photoshop.
Different tools like magic wand and colour range can be good for making selections, but when a client wants a clipping path on a subject, you really have to know how to use the pen tool.
There is an extensive collection of tutorials on Google for it.

Jun 05 09 06:53 pm Link