Forums > General Industry > Portfolio Print Size: 9x12 Borderless?

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So is this the standard industry size for a model portfolio?

Seems to be the common request in Toronto.

So why does Epson not sell any paper in this size? They don't even sell any rolls that are either 9" wide or 12" wide.

Do people just use paper cutters?

May 04 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Epson sells 13x19, which makes two lovely 9x12s.

May 04 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TXPhotog wrote:
Epson sells 13x19, which makes two lovely 9x12s.

Still need to cut the paper to get borderless.

May 04 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I print 9x12s on my 24" wide Epson Stylus Pro 7600.  I lay up two on a custom 9x24 and simply cut it down the middle when finished smile

But otherwise, 13x19s are the way to go.  Most of the market uses letter size printers which are only 8.5 (shame they don't give you that extra .5"...though the printer will feed it, it won't print it).  So, that limits 9x12 paper to those with 13" wide printers which is a much smaller market.  11x14 and 13x19 standard paper sizes and have been for a very long time.  Don't blame Epson.  This is everyone.

May 04 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Stephen,

You're right, the standard sized papers are not 9 x 12, yet it's industry standards. Any professional color lab will know of this and charge you for a 11 x 14 and cut it down to size.

The reason  for the 9 x 12 size is because the European magazines are that size, hence, if a model is with a professional agency, they want the book to be 9 x 12, (Pratt makes a great portfolio with non-glare pages). Many of the models get tear sheets from European Magazines when they are starting out and they put them in their books, so that's why the 9 x 12 prints and books have become the industry standard.

N R

May 04 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DigitalCMH wrote:
I print 9x12s on my 24" wide Epson Stylus Pro 7600.  I lay up two on a custom 9x24 and simply cut it down the middle when finished smile

But otherwise, 13x19s are the way to go.  Most of the market uses letter size printers which are only 8.5 (shame they don't give you that extra .5"...though the printer will feed it, it won't print it).  So, that limits 9x12 paper to those with 13" wide printers which is a much smaller market.  11x14 and 13x19 standard paper sizes and have been for a very long time.  Don't blame Epson.  This is everyone.

I have the Epson 4800 so I have a lot of flexibility. I guess I just need to add a paper cutter to my toolkit.

What kind do you use?

May 04 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nick Ryder wrote:
The reason  for the 9 x 12 size is because the European magazines are that size, hence, if a model is with a professional agency, they want the book to be 9 x 12

I guess I should be happy that they have not switched to metric!

May 04 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

I have the Epson 4800 so I have a lot of flexibility. I guess I just need to add a paper cutter to my toolkit.

What kind do you use?

Don't ask me, I have a piece of crap cutter I bought at Staples.  A co-worker got a nice heavy duty one for like $15 off ebay...I'll see if I can remember to ask what kind.

May 04 06 11:55 pm Link