Forums > General Industry > NYC Market vs. Philly

Model

Laurel Lynn

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Is it worthwhile for a new model to start out in Philly prior to attempting NYC? I am almost an equal distance between the two. I know NYC is a larger market, but are there advantages to starting out in Philly? I thought about posting this in the Newbie Forum but I wanted a more varied response.

May 04 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

anyone got an answer out therE?

May 04 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

New York models *must* fall in to the height/weight/looks requirements for fashion.  Other opportunities are few and far between.

Philadelphia models have more commercial and art viability...there are large commercial and artist model markets in Philadelphia, and models can more easily get signed to agencies here.  They can also much more easily represent themselves here.

May 04 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

there's a market in philadelphia?

oh yeah market street ;->

May 04 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lynn

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Market Street...haha good one. Seriously, do you think it would be advantageous for a model to attempt to work steadily in Philly prior to NYC to gain experience or should they just take the risk and start out as a fresh face in NYC?

May 05 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

QVC books Philly models.

Try MMA.  They will act as a mother agency as well.

May 05 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Color of Fashion

New York, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:
New York models *must* fall in to the height/weight/looks requirements for fashion.  Other opportunities are few and far between.

Philadelphia models have more commercial and art viability...there are large commercial and artist model markets in Philadelphia, and models can more easily get signed to agencies here.  They can also much more easily represent themselves here.

More commercial work in Philadephia than NY?

May 06 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

when you're going to compare the New York market with the Philadephia market, its sort of like comparing a Hatori Hanzo sword to every other sword that was ever made, or will ever be made by anyone else

....there simply is no comparison ( to NYC)

so i would say gain your experience in NYC, because odds are

even the random TFP shooter in NYC, is probably better than the randon TFP shooter in Philadephia

May 06 06 12:23 am Link