Forums > General Industry > How to ask for topless photos

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I put up a casting call for some topless work I have coming up. Several of the models who replied dont have any photos to show for my partners and I to go over. We are offering $200 an hour and of course would like to see topless pics to know what we are paying for. How do I go about this? Set up test shoots? If its a model that has really never done topless but just wants the money, I certainly dont want to end up with an uncomfortable model. Thoughts? Thanks.

May 03 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

MichaelBell wrote:
I put up a casting call for some topless work I have coming up. Several of the models who replied dont have any photos to show for my partners and I to go over. We are offering $200 an hour and of course would like to see topless pics to know what we are paying for. How do I go about this? Set up test shoots? If its a model that has really never done topless but just wants the money, I certainly dont want to end up with an uncomfortable model. Thoughts? Thanks.

Try this,

Dear Betty Lou:

Please send topless photos.

Thanks!

Hank

May 03 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MichaelBell wrote:

Ask the model to send a topless shot taken with her cell phone into a mirror.

You see what you need to see, and she proves she is cool with the work.

May 03 06 10:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Yeah, let them know that you need to see a topless pic in order to make the final decision.  If the model doesn't have any, see if she's willing to come in for a quick "audition" or test shoot.  She shouldn't be offended or against any of this since she's already shown her willingness to do it anyway.

May 03 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

Ask the model to send a topless shot taken with her cell phone into a mirror.

You see what you need to see, and she proves she is cool with the work.

Hey that's an even better idea than mine.  smile  Photographers are smarter than models.  j/k smile

May 03 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree, the best way to handle itis just to ask politely.  Just be prepared for a few models to be put off.  They may feel like you are just fishing for nude photos.

That having been said, and please, nobody take offense, sometimes a model looks good with her clothes on but not as good with her clothes off.  So your request is entirely reasonable.

Just understand that some models may not be comfortable sending them, in which case you will have to balance your need to see a topless image against the model's comfort level.  Basically, in those situations, you just have to decide.

I have certainly asked for nude or topless images in the past.  Likewise, I have sensed at times that a model would decline if I ask so I have been forced to decide.

Good luck to you.

Alan

May 03 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
That having been said, and please, nobody take offense, sometimes a model looks good with her clothes on but not as good with her clothes off.  So your request is entirely reasonable.

Agreed - and yes, no offense should be taken - I'm in the same position casting for my cookbook project. It's glamour nudes. If I don't know what the model looks like nude and how she poses and acts (yes, acts), how can I know if I'm comfortable recommending her to my backers?

So if I've not worked with the model before, I require a test shoot. No exceptions.

I've already had one model decide "no nudes" after booking the test shoot. It served its purpose right then and there.

May 03 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

James Barry

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would initially just ask for bikini pictures while making it entirely clear that the shoot involves topless pictures. Depending on the scope of the audition, I would personally meet up with the chosen candidates and discuss the entire shoot. If they seem uncomfortable, don't hire them. Some models will probably send a link to their online portfolios, and if they've done topless/nudes before, you will be able to see them there.

By asking them to supply topless photos to an unknown source(at least to them) might make them feel uncomfortable. Who's to say this isn't a scam to get naked shots sent to unknown people, who inturn, could post them on internet sites.

May 03 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Pete Flanagan wrote:
Try this,

Dear Betty Lou:

Please send topless photos.

Thanks!

Hank

Pete, you made me spit wine, 'cause, of course, this is the way to do it.

JMG

May 03 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

MichaelBell wrote:

probably better to have an open call so they can "flash" the boobies quick? and after a quick preview, you can discern if they are ok?

I can see how some models would be wary of just sending in topless pics via email...

good luck.

May 03 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Why does the old Vinny Bobarino "Gimme drugs,,,,,,,,,,gimme drgggggggs" thing pop into my head now?LOL

May 03 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

MichaelBell wrote:

$200 per hour??!!!!!  You guys are driving up the price for nude models - please cease and desist!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

May 04 06 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

You pay 200 for topless and only have one topless shot to show in your portfolio?

May 04 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Umm, I have lots of topless photos, but dont put them in my port. Its $200 an hour because they will be used on a paysite.

May 04 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

MichaelBell wrote:

You have to understand, even though a model may be free-spirited, that doesn't mean that she would or should send pictures to anyone that asks. Sure your intent is genuine but you know this is the internet.

That said, here's a tip that might help

Before you ask them for samples - you provide them with samples of your topless work already.

May 04 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Invite them in for a "look see".

May 04 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

How about editing your casting call and including your application requirements in the details of the assignment. That way there should be no surprise when you ask them to send you the shots you need for consideration. There is nothing wrong with having pre-hire requirements. Those that balk, well.. just move on and hire the ones that comply.

May 04 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

MichaelBell wrote:
How to ask for topless photos

May I please have a topless photo?

May 04 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

MichaelBell wrote:
Umm, I have lots of topless photos, but dont put them in my port. Its $200 an hour because they will be used on a paysite.

Still too much for topless.

50-100 hr is good for topless, even for a paysite. Hell I do tfp for paysites lol.

May 04 06 10:07 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Just tell them that you need a sample photo similar to what you are planning on shooting so they need to submit a topless photo. No one should get offended by doing what they are going to get paid to do. If they are comfortable with getting paid to do it, it shouldn't be a problem to send one sample photo.

May 04 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Sweet Emotion 68

Oldsmar, Florida, US

Hello.............I wouldn't mind testing for you...............too bad you are all the way in Cali...............best of luck with your search...........for advice??............just be honest in your casting and I'm sure that you will find the right models that are comfortable with that type of shoot.............

May 04 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

mag-jr wrote:

Still too much for topless.

50-100 hr is good for topless, even for a paysite. Hell I do tfp for paysites lol.

Mag-jr...

I'm sure you know that what YOU pay may not work for anyone else!
There are TOO MANY VARIABLES!
it's ALL a case by case basis!

May 04 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

You could leave them an option in the casting to make it more comfortable for them. Maybe it could read something like...." All interested applicants are required to either submit a front and side photo of themselves topless or, if no photos are availabe, to visit the studio for a test shot"

May 04 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Shoone

Tempe, Arizona, US

yeah right I going to send someone topless images that "promises" 200.00 per hour...  Pay even for the sample plus the legal paper work.  What about the rights of the models and potiential misuse of the image send?

May 04 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Shoone

Tempe, Arizona, US

Hope your project goes will.

May 04 06 10:25 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Damn thats good money! I'll get to California someday...

May 04 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ImageWerks wrote:
I would initially just ask for bikini pictures while making it entirely clear that the shoot involves topless pictures. Depending on the scope of the audition, I would personally meet up with the chosen candidates and discuss the entire shoot. If they seem uncomfortable, don't hire them. Some models will probably send a link to their online portfolios, and if they've done topless/nudes before, you will be able to see them there.

By asking them to supply topless photos to an unknown source(at least to them) might make them feel uncomfortable. Who's to say this isn't a scam to get naked shots sent to unknown people, who inturn, could post them on internet sites.

Totally agree, this is the best way!

May 04 06 11:22 am Link

Model

Monika Maple

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MichaelBell wrote:
If its a model that has really never done topless but just wants the money, I certainly dont want to end up with an uncomfortable model. Thoughts?

If she would be uncomfortable and is only there for the money, do you really want to spend you money on her anyways?!  Her discomfort is bound to show up on the camera when you really need her to be comfortable in her own skin.

MM

May 04 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

Alan

Alan, shhh....you're supposed to keep that a secret sad

May 04 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Ed Remington wrote:
You could leave them an option in the casting to make it more comfortable for them. Maybe it could read something like...." All interested applicants are required to either submit a front and side photo of themselves topless or, if no photos are availabe, to visit the studio for a test shot"

An excellent wording for the request....You might add that their face need not be shown...if they send a false pix of themselves just to get the gig...you do not have to follow through with the job....since they misrepresented themselves durring the application process.

May 04 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Great ideas guys, thanks!

May 04 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shoone wrote:
yeah right I going to send someone topless images that "promises" 200.00 per hour...  Pay even for the sample plus the legal paper work.  What about the rights of the models and potiential misuse of the image send?

Yeah, but assuming it's legitimate, the photographer needs to see the naked breasts to see if it "is up to par" with what he needs. Some models look great with clothes (and "assistance underwear") but could be hiding flapjacks, too big/small aereolas, etc...). For this type of assignment, it's important to see first.

May 04 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Alan

Phoenix E wrote:
Alan, shhh....you're supposed to keep that a secret sad

Well, actually, since I have never really shot anything like that, I am just guessing, so it is still a secret.

May 04 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Vito wrote:

Yeah, but assuming it's legitimate, the photographer needs to see the naked breasts to see if it "is up to par" with what he needs. Some models look great with clothes (and "assistance underwear") but could be hiding flapjacks, too big/small aereolas, etc...). For this type of assignment, it's important to see first.

Flapjacks? LMAO!!

May 04 06 01:23 pm Link