Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > dark skinned women look silver in magazine ads

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I noticed that in many magazines that the faces of dark skinned black women look silver.  Especially in black hair magazines.  The highlights on the face look very silver.  I don't like it because it looks very unnatural but I was wondering if that is the desired look.   

Does anyone know what causes their faces to look silver?  Is it the makeup or the lighting?

May 03 06 10:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

A Grey face is never in style. It could possibly be a combination of bad lighting and makeup.  If you ever watch real old episodes of Oprah her face always looked grey, due to the lighting.   Now she has better lighting thanks to a better buget.  I've also notice in my own personal experience that when dealing with dark skin you need to apply the foundation a shade darker, so the face doesnt look washed out or metallic due to the flash of the camera.

May 03 06 11:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks.  I just wanted to know if that was the desired look for dark skinned black women.  I'm glad to hear that it's not!

May 03 06 07:34 pm Link