Forums > General Industry > Responding to Castings on MM

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Models, if you see a casting already has like 150 replies do you even bother adding yours?

May 03 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I respond directly to the person, along with adding a tag. I find that if you take the extra step and contact the person, that's much better.

-D-

May 03 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Daniela V wrote:
I respond directly to the person, along with adding a tag. I find that if you take the extra step and contact the person, that's much better.

-D-

So you send a message instead of posting a reply?

May 03 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

When I post castings I get from 1 to 150+ replies......no matter how many do I look at every single reply. There are many that reply which have no reason to and just take up a lot of the 150 replies. Those models I just put in the back of my head as I work on getting the casting right with the models that fit the ad.
I hope this helps those models that feel it's useless to reply - it's not. At least in my case when I seek models.
Thanks for this thread- really good question and I am interested to see what the models say.
David 6of7

May 03 06 10:46 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

David (6of7) wrote:
When I post castings I get from 1 to 150+ replies......no matter how many do I look at every single reply. There are many that reply which have no reason to and just take up a lot of the 150 replies. Those models I just put in the back of my head as I work on getting the casting right with the models that fit the ad.
I hope this helps those models that feel it's useless to reply - it's not. At least in my case when I seek models.
Thanks for this thread- really good question and I am interested to see what the models say.
David 6of7

Thanks thats good to know. I always feel like my reply gets lost among many. A message is probably a better idea.

May 03 06 10:50 am Link

Model

Kaylea

Albany, California, US

I also feel like my reply gets lost, especially when every model replies with the same message, I'm sure it must get redundant reading down a long list! I like when the photog adds an email address in the post so you can get at them directly if you feel you'll be perfect for the job!

May 03 06 10:52 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah I wonder if photographers read past the first ten replies lol.

May 03 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Hi Claire,
I get messages as well but it does not matter to the model we are casting. If we need an Asian model and she replies in the forum but 30 others who are not send me a message we would still have to take the Asian model.
The messages are good if a model has another link, a question about my style, the shoot itself etc.
Basically every single reply gets looked at seriously. Yes we do get the models that are not serious (26 year old males replying to 18 year old female castings) and we filter those out easily, the more seious replies are always considered since it only applies to this casting, we usually have a few a month and a model may be better suited for a future one.
David 6of7

May 03 06 10:55 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

No.  I figure that if there is 150 people already willing to help, then the OP is sufficiently covered.  On the other hand, if I was to run across a casting that seemed to be requesting my specific look, and in my Seattle market, then I would both post the thread and PM the OP.

May 03 06 10:58 am Link

Model

xJenellex

New Jersey, New Brunswick, Canada

I like to send a personal message directly to the poster with the specific casting in the subject line. I have gotten back responses from every photographer who I have sent messages to. Just doesn't seem like they will go through 6 pages of "I am interested".

May 03 06 11:01 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

So its best to reply and message someone?

May 03 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Keep in mind what I am saying about the quantities of replies......it doesn't matter if there are 150 models unless one of them fits what we need for the casting. If you look at the replies you will see many don't suit what is needed. Model 151 may be perfect.....don't close the doors on yourselves.
I'm saying this because we take what you do as models seriously and if you take the time to contact us for work it's also serious. When I say we I mean my crew, associates and myself. I cannot speak for other photographers here.

May 03 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

So you send a message instead of posting a reply?

Usually both. But I ALWAYS send a personal message. I know when I put up castings for models or stylists, I strongly prefer those that take the extra two seconds to message me.

-D-

May 03 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Daniela V wrote:

Usually both. But I ALWAYS send a personal message. I know when I put up castings for models or stylists, I strongly prefer those that take the extra two seconds to message me.

-D-

I think that is definately a good idea. I just didn't know if photographers thought that was overkill lol. I don't want to be pushy.

May 03 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

I don't think it's overkill. No matter if I get personal emails, messages, phone calls all that matters is does the model fit the casting.
:-)

May 03 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

David (6of7) wrote:
I don't think it's overkill. No matter if I get personal emails, messages, phone calls all that matters is does the model fit the casting.

Bingo, it doesn't matter how many replies I get, it matters how many replies I get that fit what I need.  People are constantly getting irritated at me because I post casting notices and I don't book them.  It isn't a question of just having a warm body, it is about the right person.

Likewise, I can turn a person down 20 times and I still want them to submit.  I forget people.  Just because I say no to one project doesn't mean I won't say yes the next time.  I don't get irritated by repeated submissions and I actually encourage it.

That having been said, I prefer a private message, phone call or e-mail to a response on the forum.  When you reply on the forum it means that I then have to go to your profile, send you a message separately while including a quote from the casting call so you remember what you submitted for.  It is much easier just to reply than to do all of that.

May 03 06 11:56 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

A Question for those who post castings:

Does it bother you when models reply with "interested."
How would you have them reply amongst a sea of other hopefuls?

May 03 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Nemi wrote:

Flattery.

May 03 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Flattery.

Such as "I absolutely adore, would die to work with you, and provide favors once the shoot is complete"? lol.........Kidding of course!

May 03 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Such as "I absolutely adore, would die to work with you, and provide favors once the shoot is complete"? lol.........Kidding of course!

I prefer "i

May 03 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I prefer "i

May 03 06 03:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I prefer "i

May 03 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

MHana wrote:

"i

May 03 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Mental note.......Oh hey Brian!! I was just about to tell you that I

May 03 06 03:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Thats awesome lol. Thats a TFCD shoot right? lol

Oh TFPeepee,  then it something like.
"i

May 03 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

But seriously, a little effort can go a long way.  A personal note with a couple sentences about your qualifications and why you think you would work well in that particular project.

For a regular job, you're expected to have a cover letter and resume just to get an interview. 

"interested" does not show much interest.

May 03 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MHana wrote:

Oh TFPeepee,  then it something like.
"i

May 03 06 03:23 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

This makes way too much grammatical sense.  I could never work with you.  Sorry.  tongue

Darnit. I thought your message was gramatically incorrect as a test. Once again I failed miserably. sad

May 03 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

You get replies to castings?

May 03 06 03:43 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
You get replies to castings?

Only when I post them in the site related section.

May 03 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

It does not bother me to get such a reply when the model is someone I know (like you Katie) I know you checked the ad out and feel right for the job. When it's a model that does not fit and I can tell they are just spamming casting calls I remember them too - not in a good way lol
You are always welcome to send a message but overall I have no preference in the wording or setting of the initial reply.
David 6of7

May 04 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Does it annoy you when you put your email on a casting and the model replies "interested please send details" lol.

May 04 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Does it annoy you when you put your email on a casting and the model replies "interested please send details" lol.

Not at all.......I add enough details on a need to know basis in the ad. If the model fits I send details- I would anyway if the model is right.
If the model does not fit (and the models do know they don't fit a casting I place since I am very specific) I don't waste my time.
One of the specifics in all my ads is that we seek models that live in NYC. This is because of meetings that need to be had and availability issues. When a model from England replies for an ad looking for models with bangs and she wants us to fly her here without her having any bangs- or knowing what they are then I just move on. That actually happened.

David

May 06 06 01:21 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I just send a private message. It's more personal.  I send my link and stats and any other info requested in the ad.  Besides, the whole world doesn't need to know what jobs I'm trying to get.

May 06 06 01:26 am Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

I wish castings with lots and lots of replies were locked.  I figure if there are 100 or so replies, they've already found what they're looking for.  Maybe I'm wrong, but does a photographer want to go through four pages of replies to find three new ones at the end? 

It would be nice to see the date the message was originally posted before opening it 9like the latest reply is).  It would save a lot of time.  For example, if the casting was posted in early April, I'd figure it's already been cast.  It'd also be great if photographers (or whoever's casting) wrote in their post when they'd like to recieve submissions by.

May 06 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
So its best to reply and message someone?

I would add that it depends on the casting.  Some people (like me) specifically request to be messaged (I do because i don't get 150 responses and my threads get lost easily, heh).  If the casting is unclear I would do both, especially if you have more questions about the casting to give them a chance to answer you better.

May 06 06 05:09 am Link