Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > OVER Accessorizing...Good or Bad your opinions

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Well I know as a Fashion Stylist when I started out I was guilty of throwing on every bracelet, necklace and large pair of earrings I could find, but now as I have matured I have realized that real fashion can stand alone without adding too much to it. You can get your point across without adding the extras. It's often said that accessories "make the outfit" and I'm not one  to disagree, but I think less is best.

Makeup Artist, Hair Stylist and Photographers please feel free to respond too. I'm sure you've seen some stuff take place that you wished the Fashion Stylist wouldn't do because it clashed with your hair or makeup. (I know there are some artist that I feel have killed the overall image because of the wrong makeup for that particular wardrobe.)

May 03 06 08:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Liz Dungate

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I agree, I try not to over-accessorize, otherwise it can look a little Madonna-early-80's. sometimes no accessories is the best, or one piece that gives a spark of interest but doesn't completely overtake the image.

May 03 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

obviously over-accessorizing cannot be a good thing.
otherwise, it would just be accessorizing.

May 03 06 01:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
obviously over-accessorizing cannot be a good thing.
otherwise, it would just be accessorizing.

With that said, do people know the difference between accessorizing and over accessorizing? This is where we as stylist have to put our personal taste asside and do what is best for the overall image.

May 03 06 02:15 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Z D E S I G N S

Sarasota, Florida, US

I agree, the over accessorizing is unnecessary.
Sometimes, no accessories are even needed from what I have found. The clothing can sometimes be so powerful that it speaks volumes on its own.

I believe that when you add on too many accessories, you're taking away from the clothing in the shot. It's a huge distraction. It's like the wild and off the wall make-up with an already wild and off the wall clothing design ... just don't do it.
However, I have seen a vast few, not many, but a couple images in magazines where the accessories did run amuck, but it worked somehow.

Still, for me, less almost always speaks so much more. wink

May 03 06 04:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Less is more, and i totally love it smile I even try to do it im my make-up for some things, often i wish that stylists would pick a more simple earing or a softer necklace, to compliment the clothing and the hair and the make-up and the lighting, i think its a team effort and if you have a billion extra things it makes the "look" look messy or over done, although some times it works too, its kinda a two way street , but i think that simplisity is the balance in life smile...Mandy of Deadly design Make-up Artistry

May 03 06 09:28 pm Link