Forums > General Industry > TFP customary # of prints

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Pismo Beach, California, US

Hey Gang,
Well i finally got my first TFP session lined up on Sunday, I even located a MUA that was willing to come and work for some prints as well, so i'm pretty stoked.

Anyways I'm just wondering what the customary number of prints to give a model is?
or if she would rather have them on CD how many?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cris...

May 03 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

In my experience, the best models ask for the fewest photos.

May 03 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

2. If more I charge.

May 03 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Cool thanks guys, now for the next stupid question ;-)

Do you let them preview them that day and pick out which photo's they want or do you generally sift through your images and then post them somewhere for them to preview and pick?

Thanks again,
Cris...

May 03 06 12:22 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

1 or 2 per look.

May 03 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Cris Mitchell wrote:
Cool thanks guys, now for the next stupid question ;-)

Do you let them preview them that day and pick out which photo's they want or do you generally sift through your images and then post them somewhere for them to preview and pick?

Thanks again,
Cris...

Depends on if they're in a rush. I usually do a quick run through all the images at the end of the day, and then I process the ones that stand out for the both of us and put them up on web. If that's all they need then I'm done.

May 03 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Cris Mitchell wrote:

I sift through first and take out all the photos I screwed up and post the rest on my website for previewability.  (If the model screwed up the photo, I leave it in so she or he can learn from it.)

May 03 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

AJ Photography

Miami, Florida, US

theda wrote:
1 or 2 per look.

I agree. Now, I will edit as many pictures as needed. I've had many cases where I will not even include one whole outfit. That is why I encourage models to brings their closet wink

May 03 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Thanks again everyone this is all great info to know.

Cris...

May 03 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

theda wrote:
1 or 2 per look.

Probably the best answer.  Even then though, be subjective and only choose those that are outstanding.

The Number 1 Myth and biggest trap aspiring models fall into with TFP is that the practice will always produce usable imaging.  They want something to show for the effort, even if what they are showing doesn't do a thing for them.

Rarely, if ever is discretion used on the results by eliminating everything if none of the images are truly worthy, read: outstanding.  Many are content to take the best of the best in mediocrity.  True models won't accept that as a standard.  And that, is what sets them apart from the pack.

May 03 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

I have one more question, is it mandatory to get a release when doing a TFP session or should i get in the practice of always getting a release no matter what kind of session it is?

I think that's it for the dumb questions ;-)

Thanks everyone.

Cris...

May 05 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

If and when I do a TFP session I always get the model to sign a non-exclusive contract that states exactly what they will get, when they will get it, and how they will get it. In addition it states for how long they can use the images and for what. The contract also states all the things I can do with the images and the penalties if I do something outwith the contract. Tie everything up in writing before the shoot and everyone knows where they stand.

May 05 06 12:50 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
In my experience, the best models ask for the fewest photos.

I don't see why. I always ask for at least 50% of the photos wether they be good or bad but most photogs I have worked with have been kind enough to just give me all of 'em on a CD without me asking.

I am able to look at both the good AND bad pics and see where I need improvement, what facial expressions/poses work and what don't and so on. I think it would be nice for photogs to be generous enough to give as many of the pics on CD as possible.

May 08 06 08:55 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I usually expect 10 from a 2-3 hour shoot. You only want the best ones so theres no point having 30 so-so pictures.

May 08 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Cris Mitchell wrote:
I have one more question, is it mandatory to get a release when doing a TFP session or should i get in the practice of always getting a release no matter what kind of session it is?

I think that's it for the dumb questions ;-)

Thanks everyone.

Cris...

It just depends on how you view your work. If you're doing this purely for a learning experience, to test your lighting gear and build skills, and you're going to delete the pictures from your hard disk in a few weeks, there is no point for a release.

If like me, you're obsessive about keeping every good photo you ever take, I think you should get a release for EVERYTHING you shoot that's non-editorial in nature, regardless of whether it is TFP or not. Six years from now, if you decide to place a few thousand images with a stock agency, you do not want to even think about tracking down every model and negotiating a release for a handful of dollars worth of profit on each picture.

My model releae also assigns specific usage rights to the model, ennumerating the uses she may make of the pictures. I don't shoot anything until this has been discussed and signed, greatly reducing potential misunderstandings and arguments in the future.

May 08 06 09:03 am Link