Photographer

49th St Photo

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Up until this point I have used Coral and even though it is the weakest of weak, it has got me along to this point.  I just got CS4 Photoshop, and want to hear any of you have to say and have used of it. Any positive/negative tips you have, and any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Kevin

May 20 09 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

CS4 has some glitches but overall its a GREAT program i love it, i have spent hours and hours practicing on it with everything i can get my hands on...check out youtube tutorials and any other tutorials you can find... and have fun its a great tool

May 20 09 09:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ive been looking into getting the upgrade, im still using cs3.  From what I have read they are pretty similar. For you coming in from coral it will obviously take some getting used to.  There is lots of resources out there to help teach yourself, but at least from my experience it takes lots of practice just like anything else smile

Although at the end of the day once you got a grasp on it, it will provide endless possibility's and you will be better off using it.

May 20 09 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

49th St Photo

Kansas City, Kansas, US

I knew practice would be the best key, but as far as computer what will it need?  I have the lame ass of lame ass computers now and I know I need more.  What at a minimum do I need with everything from hard drive, to Ram, to everything?

May 20 09 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rudy Render Photograph

Sarasota, Florida, US

I like CS4 extended for the capability with working with 3D model files smile

CS4 and CS3 are both great. Try either one, both offer promising results if you use it correctly. wink

May 20 09 09:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

That will all depend on mainly the image size your working with smile  I have a duel core AMD and 3 gigs of ram with vista and Im looking to upgrade. 

If im working with say 1meg or lower size images I never have an issue at all, but with like 2meg+ massive images I will get a little slow down with some tools I use.  Its not a deal breaker, but annoys me.

May 20 09 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

49th St Photo

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Yeah, I am looking to upgrade my computer right now as well as the body of my camera.  I am getting the 50D which has HUGE pics and with how much space the CS4 takes up...I think my computer now would blow up.  You think 7gigs of ram and 500gigs of hard drive is enough?

May 21 09 08:54 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i shoot raw and try to do as much as possible in lightroom and only when there's some facial retouching beyond simple blemish removal do i hand the photo off to my partner who finishes up in photoshop for things like eye/teeth whitening and wrinkle softening (she has the patience to use the brush tool). sometimes we'll replace the background (like if the sky is blown) but that sort of thing can be time-consuming. you can get actions for photoshop like those from kubota http://www.kubotaimagetools.com/

i'm liking smart objects. you can make a frame in illustrator and then bring that into photoshop as a smart object so it can more easily be re-sized and re-edited.

for our typical shoots (senior portraits, family reunions) we can't justify spending an hour on each photo so we try to keep the retouching to about 15 minutes and we only retouch selects, not every photo from a shoot. i imagine that over time you will be able to do more and more right inside lightroom.

May 21 09 09:11 am Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

The Misfit wrote:
Yeah, I am looking to upgrade my computer right now as well as the body of my camera.  I am getting the 50D which has HUGE pics and with how much space the CS4 takes up...I think my computer now would blow up.  You think 7gigs of ram and 500gigs of hard drive is enough?

well keep in mind that with vista home premium the most it will make use of or at least the most that will show up is 3gigs, i think you can put up to 4.   You need vista 64 to get up to 8gigs of ram, and yes that would probably be more than enough, or you can get a mac if you got the cash smile I would love one.

May 21 09 09:17 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i use an iMac 24" for my photo work. it's a great setup the only thing is you have to be careful because the mac runs brighter than windows (at least with the default gamma setting) so you can wind up with somewhat dark web site images if you're not careful.

Lunarimaging wrote:
or you can get a mac if you got the cash smile I would love one.

May 21 09 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Throughthelens

Miami, Florida, US

I have vista 64 running CS4 and get alot more crashes than I ever have under CS3.
There's also a learning curve to get used to the new CS4. Overall, I wouldnt recommend upgrading.

May 21 09 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

CS4 is fantastic. Since you're adjusting from another program, I recommend that you pick up a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop by
Schewe & Evening. I reviewed the book for the publisher and of five or six titles I've reviewed on the subject, that one the one that actually stayed on my reference shelf afterward. Buy it here

May 22 09 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I recommend that you don't buy a new computer until Windows 7 is released. 
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

The beta version is getting really good reviews...7 is kind of a stripped down version of Vista, not nearly as much of a resource hog.

I run CS2 on the Vista platform with 4gig ram...smooth and fast...no problems.

May 22 09 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Bruce Hart wrote:
i use an iMac 24" for my photo work. it's a great setup the only thing is you have to be careful because the mac runs brighter than windows (at least with the default gamma setting) so you can wind up with somewhat dark web site images if you're not careful.

I just got a 24" iMac...love it smile

May 22 09 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

JnB Studio

San Antonio, Florida, US

Lunarimaging wrote:
That will all depend on mainly the image size your working with smile  I have a duel core AMD and 3 gigs of ram with vista and Im looking to upgrade. 

If im working with say 1meg or lower size images I never have an issue at all, but with like 2meg+ massive images I will get a little slow down with some tools I use.  Its not a deal breaker, but annoys me.

AMD sucks and so is Vista. Switch to Intel and stick with XP Pro.

My two cents.

May 24 09 08:13 pm Link

Model

Nikki the pixel NiNja

Montpelier, Ohio, US

trust me you will not be disappointed

Jun 07 09 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

I wanted to---but working with large files regularly, I couldn't wait for Windows 7 and opted for a new machine running Vista Ultimate 64, which works great on a PC workstation platform.  CS4 hums along smoothly running eight cores and 32 Gigs of RAM.  CS3 and the old machine running 4Gigs of RAM couldn't handle the large files----CS4 running 64 bit is wonderful.  Some plug-ins (such as Nik Software) won't work with 64 bit, which is a minor inconvenience, but not difficult to run 32 bit CS4 since it is included in the CS4 installation.

Jun 07 09 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

RetouchMiami wrote:
I have vista 64 running CS4 and get alot more crashes than I ever have under CS3.
There's also a learning curve to get used to the new CS4. Overall, I wouldnt recommend upgrading.

I hope its not much of a learning curve I am in the middle of downloading it now.

Sidenote, is that L. Lohan in your avatar? Nice.

Jun 07 09 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoEclat

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

i recently got a quadcore with 4 gb ram, blazing fast, i am so happy, never buy a duocore, you will be disappointed.

Jun 08 09 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Kat Torgashev

pros and cons are a relative matter,
photoshop is better than no photoshop
so i will compare the cs3 to cs4

pro cs4 vs cs3:
cool 'adjustment layer' shortcut menu

a larger brush in the liquify filter (a big plus especially when dealing with 21 MP files)

cons:
in the shortcut menue you can only add layers that will be underneath any layers that are already open- so you constantly have to adjust the location of the new layer

cs4 is much slower than cs3

it wont keep the image at the center when zooming in or out, so you constantly have to adjust the location of the image on the screen

i really dont like the organization of open files in cs4

therefore i use cs3, better, faster, stronger smile

Jun 08 09 08:36 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

To me adobe photoshop beats any and every photo editing software. keep in mind that's my personal opinion. I havent played with CS4 yet but from the pro's and con's its a def upgrade.

Jun 08 09 08:45 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I have CS4 and honestly it seems SLOWER than CS3, even though it says it takes advantage of your graphics card GPU (I have TWO GTX 8800's in SLI) and was choppy.
It seems to open every file maximized into tabs, very annoying and I couldn't find a way to turn this off. The only cool thing I liked was the ability to rotate the whole canvas on the fly..NICE..but not enough to make me switch yet.
You can handle 3d files just fine in CS3 but I guess thats for people who don't have another 3d software, which would be much easier to manipulate and render..Maya 8.5smile

Jun 08 09 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

The Misfit wrote:

Lunarimaging wrote:
well keep in mind that with vista home premium the most it will make use of or at least the most that will show up is 3gigs, i think you can put up to 4.   You need vista 64 to get up to 8gigs of ram, and yes that would probably be more than enough, or you can get a mac if you got the cash smile I would love one.

I just got a new 24" iMac for $1300.

And don't believe all the "huge file size" hype. Before I went digital, I was working with 16-bit scans from 645 film, which are in the 40MP range. That was originally on an 800MHz G4 and then a 1.9GHz G5 iMac. I've found that CS3 vs CS1 was a much bigger slowdown than the bigger files.

Jun 08 09 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Firelick Photography

Middleburg, Pennsylvania, US

Trouble is you can't run any photoshop older than CS3 on the new computers because they are all 64 bit now sad
I'm happy with my CS1 but when i upgrade my comp i'm gonna have to shell out mad cash!

Jun 08 09 10:51 pm Link

Model

Casii Roxx

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

MacLeod Designs wrote:
CS4 has some glitches but overall its a GREAT program i love it, i have spent hours and hours practicing on it with everything i can get my hands on...check out youtube tutorials and any other tutorials you can find... and have fun its a great tool

LOL OMG!!  CS4 HAS NO GLITCHES!!  NONE WHATSOEVER!

Get a newer PC, like an i7 proc with a good GPU like an ATI 4000 series, 4870 or higher.
anything over 4gigs of ram will help as well.

wow....  Our CS4 runs great on all 64bit procs and mainboards!

Jun 08 09 10:55 pm Link

Model

Casii Roxx

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

RetouchMiami wrote:

Get an i7 proc and more ram  and a better GPU and it will not crash!  If you ay you have these specs already, you are lying, it will NOT crash. i7 procs are incredible, spend the extra money for better workflow.

Jun 08 09 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

v2lab

Orlando, Florida, US

i have adobe photoshop cs4 - i love it - its 100x better than cs3 imho - the only thing i dont like is the fonts menu - how it screws up scrolling through them (on mac at least) - but mac's have font issues anyways as a computer/operating system.

get it - well worth.

student discount from a school/campus is best if you decide to buy it

Jun 08 09 10:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

CS2 here, just recently moved from 7.

Jun 08 09 11:02 pm Link

Model

Casii Roxx

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

ok  we use all adobe CS4 products for our edits.....

Intel i-7 2.6ghrtz Proc  ( Vista Ultimate 64bit )
12gigs of DDR3 RAM
ATI 4870 GPU
320 gig Raptor drive (10,000 RPM )

This machine cost us around $1,200.00 USD to put together.

So far NO glitches, NO crashes after 6months. Very fast and extremely smooth.

I recommend that if anyone who wants and needs CS4 to work as it should, you need to spend money on a better PC as CS4 requires it to function properly.

Jun 08 09 11:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Spark-Star Retouching wrote:
To me adobe photoshop beats any and every photo editing software. keep in mind that's my personal opinion. I havent played with CS4 yet but from the pro's and con's its a def upgrade.

Agreed, without a shadow of a doubt. Photoshop beats any other software for retouching.

Jun 08 09 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Aris Millare

Los Angeles, California, US

If you are new to Adobe software in general then be prepared for a bit of a learning curve. Corel is a decent program but I switched to Adobe PS7 because of the performance over corel when Apple launched OS9 and I haven't looked back since. I honestly think that the current Adobe suites have surpassed the competition in terms of creative power and utility but a thorough understanding and a creative mind are essential. There really isn't anything you can't do with the Adobe creative suites. I'm currently using CS4 and I can honestly vouch for its smoother interface (most notably in Bridge) and a good speed bump on common chores such as batch image sizing and actions. However, for those of you who haven't upgraded to CS4, my advice is to WAIT as CS5 is within months of release. If you absolutely cannot wait, then I might suggest tracking down a college student as the academic version of the Master collection of CS4 can be had for ~$500 US. Keep in mind that this is the academic version so upgrades are out of the question but Adobe has been pretty good about the quality and usability of academic versions.

Jun 09 09 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

I actually liked CS2 better than CS3 due to stability issues, but CS4 went a ong way in fixing those issues.  (espcially with Win 64bit...)

CS4 is much easier to suggest than CS3, IMHO.
M

Jun 09 09 12:18 am Link

Photographer

jimo66

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

49th ST Photography wrote:
Up until this point I have used Coral and even though it is the weakest of weak, it has got me along to this point.  I just got CS4 Photoshop, and want to hear any of you have to say and have used of it. Any positive/negative tips you have, and any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Kevin

hey kevin
go to this site it is all you will ever need
http://www.photoshopuser.com/register.h … ode=friend

jim

Jun 09 09 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

I have my old trusty Photoshop 7 it does it all except have my babies.

Jun 09 09 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Life Event Photography

San Antonio, Florida, US

Firelick Photography wrote:
Trouble is you can't run any photoshop older than CS3 on the new computers because they are all 64 bit now sad
I'm happy with my CS1 but when i upgrade my comp i'm gonna have to shell out mad cash!

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Vista has a 32 bit compatibility mode that will allow older versions of CS to run.

Jun 09 09 10:27 am Link