Forums > General Industry > NEED website designer ....

Model

Taracha

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am looking for a Web designer to help me...(help me) design my site. I already have to domain and registration but I am a beginner and I would like someone to tell me what I am doing right or wrong. I need mentor. No compensation available but I will give you credit~~

Thanks
[email protected]

May 02 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I need a chef. I need someone to cook me dinner every night.

No compensation, but I'll give you credit.

Snarky response, but still...

May 02 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
I need a chef. I need someone to cook me dinner every night.

No compensation, but I'll give you credit.

Snarky response, but still...

Wow lol. Gotta love that. I have to agree, its pretty lame to expect someone to do somethin for nothin. Its not like a website designer can work TFP.

May 02 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

And I'd like a toilet made out of gold, but that's just not in the cards is it baby! AP wink

May 02 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

sorry, i know you will get bashed for this post...try to find a college student or go to one of the free website links like freehosts.com or something like that. they have automated processes to build one without knowing how.

May 02 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Girl, your tripping bout that no compnsation....not trying to be mean..but you gotta give a lil to get a lil

May 02 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd say try and find a student who's willing to do freelance, or pay a professional to do it. Most people who actually have good web design and development skills are probably not willing or able to work for free... (lord knows *I'm* not able to!)

May 02 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

NC Image Zone

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I would love to help you in this area of your web design Mentor...

May 06 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

www.good-tutorials.com

Some designers go step by step to help beginners with layouts and templates and such.

You can find all the help you may need there and its free.

May 06 06 11:15 am Link

Model

Molly Brenner

Los Angeles, California, US

Tonight I went live with the site I made myself this week.  It's my first attempt -- be kind...

www.MollyBrenner.com

I just took a quick and dirty 3 night class at the community college and went with it!  It was hard, but the technical part will get easier with practice.  I'm thinking of doing other sites now.  Lemme know! 

Mo!!y

May 07 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Wow lol. Gotta love that. I have to agree, its pretty lame to expect someone to do somethin for nothin. Its not like a website designer can work TFP.

They can if they are a model. I know plenty of models who do web design and some of them needed portfolio shots and the photographer did wanted did not do TFP but needed a website.

May 07 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Molly Brenner wrote:
www.MollyBrenner.com

Just my personal opinion here but.......woo,,,,,,talk about busy. No need to use every trick learned at the class all at once. I have DSL and I can look down the street and see the main hub in town so the connection is really good. Ease off on the flashing colors and such.

May 07 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Taracha wrote:
I am looking for a Web designer to help me...(help me) design my site. I already have to domain and registration but I am a beginner and I would like someone to tell me what I am doing right or wrong. I need mentor. No compensation available but I will give you credit~~

Thanks
[email protected]

been pretty rough for you here - Alright if you contact me I'll consider giving you a hot site for free (I mean credit).

I actually like the fact that you put yourself out there like that. I always say you can't get anything withoout asking.

So yeah, let's talk

May 07 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I own a web design company. My site daxballadares.com was designed by my guys.. Whoever is interested i can give u a list of clients and list of websites done by us.

May 07 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

S T O N E H O R S E

Heath, Ohio, US

go to templatemonster.com or allwebco.com and buy a template. easy to customize and instructions included. you sould be able to handle it by yourself from there, but i would suggest having a graphics person do you a header at least so it looks pro.

May 07 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Carrasco

Molly Brenner wrote:
www.MollyBrenner.com

It's good for a first time design, but when you're designing a web site you need to think about what you're actually trying show off here... if you're trying to display your modelling work, all of that flashy design gets in the way and distracts... the best photo sites are the most simple, so that all you see is the photographs themselves...

and god save us from Flash intro sequences!

you can check my site out: http://www.intensitystudios.com

i just wanted it to be as clean and simple as possible, so that it loads fast and is to the point...

May 07 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Blue Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What kind of site are you looking for? Flash, html, php?

The easiest way to make an html site is either to get a template or build it yourself as follow:

1) You need a host, get one from yahoo, it is like 9$ per month, you can get cheaper ones, but yahoo has so many features...

2) If you search in google, you can find many ready templates, or you need a program to build your own site, yahoo comes with yahoo site builder, it is a pretty easy program to use, even if it is your first time, you can still make a nice website with it. The other program which is easy to use is FrontPage.

3) Then you just upload the site, if you use the yahoo site builder or FrontPage; it is very easy to do so as they have a feature that does this.

A professional site like MM is php, it is not easy to build one like MM on your own, and I am sure no one would spend so much time to build you a site like MM for nothing...

So if you don’t have the money to pay some one to build you a pro site, just go with the one I explained above, and If ever your site got popular, then you can spend money on it to improve it.

May 07 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Carrasco

Taracha wrote:

Thanks
[email protected]

I'm definitely not trying to slam you or upset anyone, but most of the talented designers out there have gone through some sort of design school. And design school isn't cheap. We have student loans and rent to pay too.

You wouldn't ask a lawyer to go to court for free and you wouldn't ask a mechanic to fix your car for free. And usually if you do find someone to do your web site for free, it looks amateurish at best. Just like most anything else, you get what you pay for...

May 07 06 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Carrasco

Oh, and here is a nice and clean site that I designed for a model:

http://www.vanessabeck.com

May 07 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

S T O N E  H O R S E wrote:
go to templatemonster.com or allwebco.com and buy a template. easy to customize and instructions included.

Not necessarily true. Go to my site http://www.glamourboulevard.com (no nudity, work safe imo)

See those tiny 16th of an inch color triangles on those tiny pics at the top right?The 01,02,03 and so on by the images at the bottom left?Th grey bars by each of the menu items? Each one of those is a seperate image. Often when you buy a template from Monster or any other place they are no where near as easy as everyone assumes.This is why I have not finished it the way I want to. On top of that, it also came with a full flash version template with music and all.
When I think of making the flash version, which amazingly actually loads fast, my brain twitches.

May 07 06 06:49 am Link

Photographer

S T O N E H O R S E

Heath, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Not necessarily true. Go to my site http://www.glamourboulevard.com (no nudity, work safe imo)

See those tiny 16th of an inch color triangles on those tiny pics at the top right?The 01,02,03 and so on by the images at the bottom left?Th grey bars by each of the menu items? Each one of those is a seperate image. Often when you buy a template from Monster or any other place they are no where near as easy as everyone assumes.This is why I have not finished it the way I want to. On top of that, it also came with a full flash version template with music and all.
When I think of making the flash version, which amazingly actually loads fast, my brain twitches.

Well I still stand by my statement smile Obviously if you are a complete novice when it comes to computers and html, you will have problems with a template, but since she's determined to do this by herself I would say a template would be a great start. My first site I built with no knowledge and just interwebbernet searchs and FrontPage, which I DO NOT recommend. Frontpage is a horrible program, both in terms of ease of use as well as all those funky things it does "automatically" to try and help you. I know I will have some people disagree with me but that's fine.

After my first site I upgraded to Dreamweaver, which was a lot better, but still had some funny quirks. Now I exclusively use HomeSite, although it is a bit more on the geeky side it allows me a lot more freedom than either of the other two.

Granted, it's not going to be "easy" no matter what she does, short of hiring someone to do it for her. I would also have to jump on the bandwagon here; if you are serious about modeling find a pro to do your site. I respect that you want to save money and perhaps learn a little by doing it yourself, but think about it this way; for approximately the cost of a couple new outfits you could have a professionally designed site that will reflect both you and your work in a much nicer light.

May 07 06 07:04 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Templates are only good.. if this was 1998... I think that if you spend $19.95 on your website, it will reflect that and people will not take u as seriously -i dont agree with that, but is the sad truth of life-. Save some money and spend a fair amount ( u dont have to spend $1000 ) so u get something u are proud of and something that sales.

best,

May 07 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Bohemian

Marion, North Carolina, US

I just happened to see this post. The girl who did my website is schockboogieninja.com She came up with the whole theme based around me & my art. She was very helpful & patient with my lack of website understanding & my countless re-do's! lol. And the $ you pay goes toward a good cause, as she is working her way through school. I feel that she did a great job for alot less than most of the pro places wanted. And I am sure that they would not have been able to give my site the personal touch that it has, either.

Hope this helps.

May 07 06 03:00 pm Link