Forums > General Industry > Photographer making first contact with agency

Photographer

Christopher Kluge

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hello,

I have a number of questions about contacting an agency and using agency models. I've been involved in photography for over 15 years, but as a fine art photographer. I know next to nothing about the business of commercially oriented photography and how things get done.

I'm planning out a number of high fashion editorial projects for my book. I'm collaborating with stylists who are looking to build their portfolios. They are telling me that we need to use agency models. And I agree. The problem is, I don't have a fashion portfolio to show an agency. The stylists are telling me it doesn't matter, that I should contact the agencies anyway. Since I've never done this before, and I'd like at least to sound like I know what I'm talking about:

1. What will the agency expect to see from me (to ensure that their or the model's time won't be wasted) before sending models to test with me?

2. If the agency is willing to work with me, will they send me a set of comp cards to choose from? Or will they choose someone who generally fits the description of the model type I give them?

3. What will the agency expect in return? A CD, prints?

4. I've made a list of agencies here in NYC. Can anyone suggest an agency that might be more willing to give a photographer starting something new a chance?

5. Anything else I should know going in?

I've seen a website called newmodels.com which gives a lot of great advice for models starting out. I wish there was the same thing for photographers.

Thanks in advance to all who can lend some advice.

Christopher

May 02 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

* bump *

Excellent questions.  I know that there are more than a few experienced people here on MM that could answer these.  TXPhotog maybe?  Absolutely amazing work by the way. smile

May 02 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Christopher Kluge wrote:
1. What will the agency expect to see from me (to ensure that their or the model's time won't be wasted) before sending models to test with me?

Partner with a stylist of makeup artist who has worked with agencies before. Have them make the call to ask for models to test.

2. If the agency is willing to work with me, will they send me a set of comp cards to choose from? Or will they choose someone who generally fits the description of the model type I give them?

Usually there will be a digital lightbox of some sort. You go to a protected part of their website and look at the ones they have available for the day you want to shoot, then e-mail them with your first and second choices.

3. What will the agency expect in return? A CD, prints?

Probably just a CD. Depends on the agency and the state of the model's portfolio.

4. I've made a list of agencies here in NYC. Can anyone suggest an agency that might be more willing to give a photographer starting something new a chance?

Again, just find a stylist that already has an in.

5. Anything else I should know going in?

Treat them well, models talk to models and bookers, bookers talk to bookers and models. You want to have a good reputation.

I've seen a website called newmodels.com which gives a lot of great advice for models starting out. I wish there was the same thing for photographers.

Yep. Haven't seen it. This is it.

Thanks in advance to all who can lend some advice.

big_smile

May 02 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Kluge

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks Ched, much appreciated.

Anyone else out there want to add to the discussion?

May 03 06 06:34 am Link