Forums > General Industry > 8 x 10 Mandatory?

Photographer

Dejas

Houston, Texas, US

How important is it to models that TFP work come back in a specific aspect ratio?  As a photographer, I want to crop to what I think is most visually impressive and that may be a completely arbitrary ratio.  Is it important to you models that work come back to you in a specific ratio?  If so, why? Or is it no big deal?

May 01 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Good question. I print for my book at 8x12, so I inevitably crop all my images to 8x12.

May 02 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It depends on your market and your goals for the photo.  I had one client require a combination of horizontals at 5x7 and verticals at 3x5. 

My book is 11x14, and most models' around here are 9x12.  Actors need 8x10s, but the current look is to have a huge border around the full frame (2x3 ratio) image.

So there are a lot of answers...

May 02 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

My portfolios are all 18" x 24" - all six of them - and I frame and shoot in full frame 99.999% of the time - and virtually never crop after the shot is done - the way it's shot is the way it's printed....

May 02 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
It depends on your market and your goals for the photo.  I had one client require a combination of horizontals at 5x7 and verticals at 3x5. 

My book is 11x14, and most models' around here are 9x12.  Actors need 8x10s, but the current look is to have a huge border around the full frame (2x3 ratio) image.

So there are a lot of answers...

yep
nothing more need be said

May 02 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

The reason for the standard sizes is you don't want the prints sliding around in a book. Models want something they can close and carry easily. Mounting 15-20 prints makes the book too heavy to shlep around all day, day after day from one rejection to another. Every model has a preference (or their agency) but most are 9X12 because it's large enough to be impressive, but not too crazy to carry (also tearsheets are 8.5 X 11).

Actors like 8X10 because it used to be the standard print size that you could order from a lab and be relatively cheap - they hand them out like flyers and talent agents using file folders can fit them in. Casting agents, don't like them much - makes the actors look too good or print is too old, so they take polaroids and put them in card files - which is easier for them to use.

Photographers sometimes use boxes or fancy custom made holders - they matt or laminate them in any size they want from 20X24 (impressive, over compensation?) to 5X7 or odd sizes (artzy, independant and rebel). Anyways makes a statement.

May 02 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

All pictures I post have a 9x12 crop size. No since in showing the model something they can’t print to a correct size IMO.

May 02 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

JM Dean wrote:
All pictures I post have a 9x12 crop size. No since in showing the model something they can’t print to a correct size IMO.

That's no "SENSE" I hope.

Just watch them try to print it on their free with purchase of CPU printer on 8 1/2 X 11 copy paper. Even better when they try to print a 79 MB 3000x4500 pixle file at 72 dpi.

May 02 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Dejas

Houston, Texas, US

Cool, thanks. 2nd question for you.  I'm going to turn over a series of photos on CD to a client... they want 8x10's because they promised the models 8x10's, but I'm also going to give them my arbitrary crops as well (that I think make the best photo.)  Is there an industry term for that like "on this cd are your 8x10's, and on this cd are [my non standard cropping sizes that I just cut on the photo to make it look best]."  What would you say in place of the bracket in conversation?

May 03 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dejas wrote:
Cool, thanks. 2nd question for you.  I'm going to turn over a series of photos on CD to a client... they want 8x10's because they promised the models 8x10's, but I'm also going to give them my arbitrary crops as well (that I think make the best photo.)  Is there an industry term for that like "on this cd are your 8x10's, and on this cd are [my non standard cropping sizes that I just cut on the photo to make it look best]."  What would you say in place of the bracket in conversation?

I wouldn't give them those photos.  They asked for 8x10s, so that's what I'd deliver.

If you really want, ask them if they would have any use for the cropped versions.  You can explain them in your query.

May 03 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dejas

Houston, Texas, US

It's not so much that they said "deliver to us 8x10's" as it was "Come shoot our event, we would like a CD for promotional material, and, oh btw, we promised the models 8x10's."  My thinking is if they just want images that make the event look cool, forget about aspect ratio, I want to crop to make the picture as perfect as possible.  But I also still have to give them 8x10's.  So my thoughts are why not deliver both?  Does this seem reasonable to you?

May 03 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

ChristerArt wrote:
My portfolios are all 18" x 24" - all six of them - and I frame and shoot in full frame 99.999% of the time - and virtually never crop after the shot is done - the way it's shot is the way it's printed....

Yeah i have to agree with you there. I come from the old school of photography. The word then was crop in the camera which is mainly what I do now.

May 04 06 10:34 am Link